C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window fuse/breaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 PM
BonitaVette
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power window fuse/breaker

I just bought my first vette (72 conv). Figured I would start by fixing something small. Power windows were not working. Replaced both switches and windows worked. About 1 hour later both stopped. I am guessing fuse or breaker blew. Can't find fuse on panel for power windows, don't know if there is a breaker.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats on getting the 72! I am partial to them as I have one myself. First thing first... check Willcox Corvette out and get yourself an Assembly instruction manual (AIM) it is the bible for these things and shows every part as it was assembled by the factory. Then call DocRebuild and order their wiring and vacuum diagrams. Pretty colors and all.

The relay that you are looking for is under the shifter consol. You must remove the parking break cover and then the shifter consol and it is mounted to body there. Do a search on the forum tech section for window relay. You might get lucky and find a woring diagram for the whole power window system.

Take pics and share them here. Welcome and have fun!

Sully
Old 07-27-2009, 01:36 PM
BonitaVette
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Sully. I will check under the console. I will also order the AIM and the diagrams.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:17 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

On a 72, the power window circuit breaker is mounted on the driver's side firewall, sort of behind the brake booster. It has two tereminals; one with a red wire, and one with an orange wire.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:36 PM
BonitaVette
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Still have problems. I was wrong, there is power to the new swtiches. I check with meter and see 12v. I checked under the shift console and don't see a relay. The wires from the switches run right up under the dash. I found the circuit breakers, temporarily removed the wires and connected them still no good. I then took off door panel. Connected meter to wires 1 at a time and to ground and see no voltage. Any other ideas?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Its pretty common for the wire between the door and body to break but not on both up and down and not on both doors at the same time. Your problems seems to be common between both doors.
Where are you grounding your meter ?
Have you checked the 25 amp radio fuse that feeds the ACC terminal that triggers the power window relay when the key is on ?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:18 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya'll have any pics of where this circuit breaker is mounted? Lectric Limited shows it as a 30amp and I hear it mounts on the engine bay side of teh firewall.

Rog - is 1969 the only one that has the remote breaker and the later years incoporates it into the fuse block ?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:26 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kaiserbud
Ya'll have any pics of where this circuit breaker is mounted? Lectric Limited shows it as a 30amp and I hear it mounts on the engine bay side of teh firewall.

Rog - is 1969 the only one that has the remote breaker and the later years incoporates it into the fuse block ?
Mounted mine just aft of the driver's side kick panel vent, right where the hood release cable is mounted. Up kinda high...
Old 05-21-2010, 11:51 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Rob - so you went on a new path.... so where did you come out with your wire to the relay on the left fender well?

And so - there is no cover over the breaker posts? Remember kinda like the Vintage Air Breaker that had the rubber molded pice to protect the posts? That has to be a hot wire....
Old 05-22-2010, 10:16 AM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

I see these 2 'dimples' on my firewall and they line up pretty well with the T bracket on my 30amp fuse from Lectric Limited. So I am thinking that this is the proper mounting location.

Also - I am wondering if GM changed the location of the circuit breaker in later model to be in the fuse block or fuse block area like Rob installed his. Just curious of the routing if that were the scenario.

UPDATE: Yup - checked Lectric Limited and my style Circuit Breaker is through 1974. 1975 uses a different style breaker and is indeed on the fuseblock

Last edited by kaiserbud; 05-22-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:27 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Rob - so you went on a new path.... so where did you come out with your wire to the relay on the left fender well?

And so - there is no cover over the breaker posts? Remember kinda like the Vintage Air Breaker that had the rubber molded pice to protect the posts? That has to be a hot wire....
I believe 74 was the last year for the separate breaker and then the breaker was put in the fuse box. For sure it was in the fuse box in 77.
I'm feeling that C3s prior to 75 had the breaker in the location of your 2 dimples and C2s had the breaker inside under the dash on the drivers pillar post. Getting old is tough.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:48 AM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

thanks again Rog...
Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 PM
ONeill202
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Can someone please tell me where my power window replay is located. I have a 1970 vette.

Thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To Power window fuse/breaker

Quick Reply: Power window fuse/breaker