C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New stereo wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 PM
theesir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New stereo wiring question

I am installing a new aftermarket stereo in my '69. I have all the wiring taken care of except the one on the new stereo that needs to attach to a "light switch terminal". I assume this is used to backlight the stereo when the headlights are turned on.

What would I wire this to in the vette?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Did you already remove the center instrument cluster ?
If so, you can use any of the instrument light bulb wires at the back of the gauges.
But take note that they are dimmed ( with the headlights/dimmer switch ), so will be your stereo light. You should try it before you put everything back in place.

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 07-29-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Look at the fuse box, there is a termnal on the "Lamps" fuse as I recall. Otherwise, you need to locate the fused side of the fuse socket and connect wire to there, Bubba would strip wire back and wrap it around the fuse while others would locate a takeoff tap at an autoparts store and use one of those. Bubba would in fact, wrap the wire around the feed end, to later have the wire gound and smoke a $400 wiring harness then he would park the Vette in the driveway where years later, it would become a "donor" for one of my Vette projects
Old 07-29-2009, 12:34 PM
theesir
Instructor

Originally Posted by 73StreetRace
Did you already remove the center instrument cluster ?
If so, you can use any of the instrument light bulb wires, but take note that they are dimmed, so will be your stereo light.
I just read on the Pioneer site that the purpose of the connection is to dim the stereo lighting at night when the headlights are on.

Instrument bezel is out. Should I just splice to one of the bulb wires?

Is there are "clean" way to do this?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 PM
theesir
Instructor

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Look at the fuse box, there is a termnal on the "Lamps" fuse as I recall. Otherwise, you need to locate the fused side of the fuse socket and connect wire to there, Bubba would strip wire back and wrap it around the fuse while others would locate a takeoff tap at an autoparts store and use one of those. Bubba would in fact, wrap the wire around the feed end, to later have the wire gound and smoke a $400 wiring harness then he would park the Vette in the driveway where years later, it would become a "donor" for one of my Vette projects
Wiring harness is brand new. I will look at it (or the old one laying on the floor next to the car) and see if there is a terminal on the Lamps fuse.
After all the work I have done redoing the inside of the car and replacing/cleaning/repainting etc. I am trying to avoid bubbaing in any way.

Thanks for the guidance.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

I think I would use this kind of stuff :

http://radiospares-fr.rs-online.com/...duct&R=3619332

You just have to cut, strip, twist your wires together and crimp them. Clean, easy and reliable. And it will make your wiring as short as possible.

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 07-29-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The wire (gray) to factory radio is ideal.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the new wiring harness uses blade-type fuses I saw something at the auto parts store that might work for you. It's a module that plugs in to the fuse socket. There is 1 fuse for the original circuit and a second fuse for an additional circuit with a short pigtail and connector. You could connect your radio light wire to that and avoid modifying any of your new harness. Both Advance Auto and AutoZone had them. They have modules for the mini blade fuses as well as the larger ones.

Rick B.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also heat shrink the connections. Heat shrink is available at auto parts stores but i found a variety pack of sizes at the local radio shack for about $5.

Fuse block reads "INST LPS" on my '74
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM
theesir
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ganey
The wire (gray) to factory radio is ideal.
The Grey wire on the radio connector on the harness is "Dash Lights" right? I guess I could connect to that and get the desired effect.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:33 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Dash lights are all gray wires. Be aware, it's on a dimmer from the headlight switch. Your new radio may not want (or like) the reduced voltage when the lights are on with the dash dimmed. Some of these newer radios may have LED backlighting and are touchy about over/under voltage. Every LED I've seen has 2 states- on and off. That one may have 12 volts as the switch and won't work at 8.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:38 PM
theesir
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimAT
Dash lights are all gray wires. Be aware, it's on a dimmer from the headlight switch. Your new radio may not want (or like) the reduced voltage when the lights are on with the dash dimmed. Some of these newer radios may have LED backlighting and are touchy about over/under voltage. Every LED I've seen has 2 states- on and off. That one may have 12 volts as the switch and won't work at 8.

You're correct, best to avoid the possible problem. I'll get a connector to plug into the fuse box.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:20 PM
theesir
Instructor

ANother quick question. On my wiring harness there is a connection for a "Radio Capacitor". Where does this connect? I have the AIM, and it looks to be near the steering column. Is there a plug ON the steering column?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There was/is a capacitor mounted on the column near the brake light switch. It's function was to eliminate a "pop" in the radio when the switch made contact. But if you recall, when the C-3's were being built, there were NOT a whole lot of FM radio stations around. Some, but not many. AM radio is susceptible to all kinds of interference from just about anything.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:27 PM
theesir
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimAT
There was/is a capacitor mounted on the column near the brake light switch. It's function was to eliminate a "pop" in the radio when the switch made contact. But if you recall, when the C-3's were being built, there were NOT a whole lot of FM radio stations around. Some, but not many. AM radio is susceptible to all kinds of interference from just about anything.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by theesir
The Grey wire on the radio connector on the harness is "Dash Lights" right? I guess I could connect to that and get the desired effect.
Yes & the wire from the stereo is probably for dimming which is why
Originally Posted by theesir
needs to attach to a "light switch terminal".
That wire is probably optional & not needed if dimming is not desired.
Connecting to the Inst. lights fuse would give same result while adding an unnecessary long wire.

As far as the stereos not dimming- my Kenwood eXcelons do.

Get notified of new replies

To New stereo wiring question

Quick Reply: New stereo wiring question