C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric pump in the tank for EFI????

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:28 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Chris you have it done exactly how i have mine,never had a problem yet,i use a walbro 255 pump and c5 regulator /filter.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:44 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsLs1vette
Chris you have it done exactly how i have mine,never had a problem yet,i use a walbro 255 pump and c5 regulator /filter.
Very cool!

Did you run the nylon line from the fitler to the engine or something else?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:01 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Myway
Very cool!

Did you run the nylon line from the fitler to the engine or something else?
steel line to the fuel rail used dorman adapters,used small piece of aeroquip socketless hose in between,never had a leak.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-800-120/
Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the final hook up using a 2000-2002 F-body fuel pump.
The output feed of the pump must be connected to the return line for the regulation to work. The line is then teed off to feed the plenum.

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/ls1_conversion_fuel.htm
Old 12-18-2009, 09:45 AM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update...

This is going to turn out very nice, simple...and inexpensive...but most of all - reliable.

Here are all the parts needed to wrap up the external part of the tank:

And...it will be mounted on the frame rail. I am going to leave an extra loop in the 5/16" return line to make it easier to drop the tank and unhook it once it is further down.

Now...from here forward is going to be really slick. The plan is to turn straight up nylon GM late model line using a line making tool from Dorman/Napa. It will use a female quick disconnect to attach to the outpout on the fuel filter/reg, then go all the way to the rail on the motor.

That's the way I want to do my set-up, can you get away with the dorman fittings and rubber EFI hose....I knoticed a lot of people use braided fuel line and -an fittings....which is expensive to me.

I just want a functional driver.

Do you have the part numbers handy for those dorman fittings in the picture?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-18-2009, 07:04 PM
zigvs
Racer

I believe they use the braided lines and fittings because of the high pressure.Rubber hose and clamps are scary on EFI.IMHO
Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zigvs
I believe they use the braided lines and fittings because of the high pressure.Rubber hose and clamps are scary on EFI.IMHO
I agree, and yet this is an approved and fully acceptable method when using the correct clamps and fittings. The EFI high pressure clamps are different than your typical worm clamps. Also, they are size fitted for the line you are using. The conversion quick disconnect fitting have aggressive barb ends made for this.

On my application you will note that we are clamped from the tank to the fitting on the filter/regulator - that is it. From there they are all press fit quick disconnect fittings which are OEM style.

Here is something I find very interesting about this issue, and your comment reminds me. Believe it or not, if you pop the rear fuel cover on a C4 Vette - you will find that from the factory they have barb fittings and hose clamps coming out of the tank connecting to the line that goes forward. The line you can see at the filter and fuel rail is all this high strength o-ring fittings pressed on the line. It is funny that they use the "cheap" clamps in the rear - yet people are convinced they have to spend huge on large money running high dollar AN fittings and mesh/metal line to accomplish this - and OEM's run for hundreds of thousands of miles trouble free.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:35 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, and yet this is an approved and fully acceptable method when using the correct clamps and fittings. The EFI high pressure clamps are different than your typical worm clamps. Also, they are size fitted for the line you are using. The conversion quick disconnect fitting have aggressive barb ends made for this.

On my application you will note that we are clamped from the tank to the fitting on the filter/regulator - that is it. From there they are all press fit quick disconnect fittings which are OEM style.

Here is something I find very interesting about this issue, and your comment reminds me. Believe it or not, if you pop the rear fuel cover on a C4 Vette - you will find that from the factory they have barb fittings and hose clamps coming out of the tank connecting to the line that goes forward. The line you can see at the filter and fuel rail is all this high strength o-ring fittings pressed on the line. It is funny that they use the "cheap" clamps in the rear - yet people are convinced they have to spend huge on large money running high dollar AN fittings and mesh/metal line to accomplish this - and OEM's run for hundreds of thousands of miles trouble free.

Remember C4 injection uses 40 LBS fuel pressure where as; C5 LSX uses 60LBS fuel pressure. C4 fuel injection requires a return line with minimal pressure. Using barb clamp is fine but make sure you double clamp each connection. Personally, I would use AN, it is a precision seal and can handle severe conditions. The factory set up is a shrink tube set up that can not be repaired. The hose is a hard thermal plastic this not resilient to direct heat and all the fuel lines are shinked around the plastic barbed EFI fittings.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:25 AM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettedan
Remember C4 injection uses 40 LBS fuel pressure where as; C5 LSX uses 60LBS fuel pressure. C4 fuel injection requires a return line with minimal pressure. Using barb clamp is fine but make sure you double clamp each connection. Personally, I would use AN, it is a precision seal and can handle severe conditions. The factory set up is a shrink tube set up that can not be repaired. The hose is a hard thermal plastic this not resilient to direct heat and all the fuel lines are shinked around the plastic barbed EFI fittings.
The Dorman/Napa system has it all covered, but dang...that high dollar braided stuff sure is pretty.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:51 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

The Dorman/Napa system has it all covered, but dang...that high dollar braided stuff sure is pretty.

Chris, as you maybe remember on Industrial Loop here we have this hydraulic supply house, Hose Power, and they have some Aeroquip fuel hose with stainless super high pressure clamps....I use their clamps for a/c work too, those things are totally grenade proof, but used for heavy equipment mostly....

hope you all had a good Christmas and Merry New Year....

Quick Reply: Electric pump in the tank for EFI????