C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric pump in the tank for EFI????

Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Electric pump in the tank for EFI????

I'm getting ready to mod my car for the 8.1 EFI...and will be putting the fuel pump in. I have mounted external pumps in the past with great success.

However, it seems to me that putting an OEM style (C4) fuel pump in the tank would be fairly straight forward.

So...anybody done it?

Pics/discusion?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

All the aftermarket EFI kits I know of all use external electric fuel pumps. I see no reason why that won't work fine as long as it meets the required specs. It would also be far easier to install.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:39 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I agree, too much PIA....but you were going to drop the tank and do a C5 hatch/trunk anyway, no?? come on, don't let me down now...
Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 PM
82Vette'ster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 82 came stock with a pump in the tank for the CFI. The pump and level sender are removable through the filler opening. It is common to put a 1985 and up pump in the 82, a reasonable simple upgrade.

The question is how compatible earlier C3 tank top openings are with the 82? That I don't know, maybe somebody else does.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:16 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 82Vette'ster
The 82 came stock with a pump in the tank for the CFI. The pump and level sender are removable through the filler opening. It is common to put a 1985 and up pump in the 82, a reasonable simple upgrade.

The question is how compatible earlier C3 tank top openings are with the 82? That I don't know, maybe somebody else does.

The tanks are totally different due to the slope of the rear deck and filler neck.

mrvette I agree, too much PIA....but you were going to drop the tank and do a C5 hatch/trunk anyway, no?? come on, don't let me down now...
Now you got it! Do I EVER DO ANYTHING THE EASY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roughrider All the aftermarket EFI kits I know of all use external electric fuel pumps. I see no reason why that won't work fine as long as it meets the required specs. It would also be far easier to install.
Agreed...and been there...done that several times. I just like the idea of the pump in the tank (OEM style) to help improve the longevity and reduce the noise. Also, if I can get it in the tank, then I can reduce the amount of connections and issues under the car and can hook up the feed from the tank to the engine virtually stock less high pressure MPI flex hose where needed.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Might want to consider something like this; I have not used one of these, but I have used a fair number of the Aermotive products and been completely happy.

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/products.php?prod=265
Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

I am planning to upgrade to EFI. I wonder if this pump from Tanks Inc would meet our needs?

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

DC
Old 07-31-2009, 03:16 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

I ran an Areomotive 1000 Pump in my Car for a bit but the Noise drove me Crazy. Did a Real Nice job with all Stainless Tubeing and Custom Brackets. Sounded like a Dentist. Threw it all away. Mounted a Bosch Pump in the Tank and its makes just enough sound to let you know its running. 78-82's have a larger opening and are easyer to do. Other people have Cut a new Opening for the pump on older tanks. You should be able to find them here.If your going to run Mufflers that work put it in the Tank. If Your going to run open Exhaust put it anywhere You like.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:06 AM
Vince'82
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Vettedan posted many months ago how he used 4th gen F-body LS1 fuel pump in stock tank :
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...on-update.html
Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It would be easier to isolate the pump [for the purpose of noise reduction] with an external pump. (synthetic rubber cushions at mounting points on frame)
Old 07-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I run a Walbro external pump on mine. It is very quiet and provides plenty of pressure for close to 600 HP. Not extremly expensive either.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just on your site looking at the electric headlights. Do you still make the brackets?

I'm not sure what year corvette your modding this time around, so this may not exactly apply to what your doing. I've been looking into this for my 81 FI, and the problem I keep hearing is that using an in tank pump with a 78-82 style gas tank is that the pump uncovers in turns with less than a quarter tank of gas because there are no baffles in the tank.

I haven't called them yet, but it looks like Rock Valley makes a custom sender with a trap built around the pump to keep it from uncovering. You can get it with various pumps including a Holley HP pump for $395 which isn't too bad considering the other options I've considered. Here's the link http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautopart..._tanks_all.pdf

They call it their TPI kit and its on page 18.

Mark
Old 08-08-2009, 08:23 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Hey 81 - yes,, I'm still doing the headlight brackets, I just ran out of stock and will be up and running again in a few weeks.

Okay...here is the progress on the In-tank pump.

We have to have a constant 55 PSI or so of pressure to run the engine just like and LS1/2/3/6/7. I picked up a killer TRE 343 in-tank pump which is a 255 gal per hour. Mouting a wire through bushing through the top of the tank, and welding a bracket to the stock pickup - I was able to get the electric pump in the tank and plumbed in place. We added a vent line too that will go to an emission can so we can run a sealed gas cap and not have fumes in the garage.

The factory 69 tank does not have a baffle - neither does (at least the early) C4. I realize on a low tank I can starve for fuel - but overall I am VERY happy with this. Total investment is under $100 and a couple hours time. The C5 fuel filter though was $80 (GM delco) alone...but it is duel purpose filter and pressure reg. I'll post pics of that mount once I have my frame rail line in.

We will have a 99-09 Corvette fuel filter/regulator mounted by the tank and then a stock line all the way to the engine.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:59 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Chris, what I would like to see is a pix and a explanation of how the C5+ FP regulator works.....
Old 08-08-2009, 10:55 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrvette
Chris, what I would like to see is a pix and a explanation of how the C5+ FP regulator works.....
THat will come next. Just ran out of time today to get that all hooked up. I figure I'll mount it on the right frame rail right where the stock fuel line (the long line from engine to tank) ends by the tank. The return will then have a very short run to the tank.

The C5 filter looks basically just like a C4 or other metal body filter...but it has the internal regulator built in. YOu have to use the quick connect lines.

Here is a picture of the one I mounted on our 1985 LS2 project build from 2007. We mounted this one in the exact position as the stock 1985 filter.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69Myway
THat will come next. Just ran out of time today to get that all hooked up. I figure I'll mount it on the right frame rail right where the stock fuel line (the long line from engine to tank) ends by the tank. The return will then have a very short run to the tank.

The C5 filter looks basically just like a C4 or other metal body filter...but it has the internal regulator built in. YOu have to use the quick connect lines.

Here is a picture of the one I mounted on our 1985 LS2 project build from 2007. We mounted this one in the exact position as the stock 1985 filter.

Chris, do you have any idea how that reg/filter works?? it don't seem to have a vac line from engine going into it...so what is the reference point on the thing??? I does not look adjustable either....

I tried moving my L98 regualtor to the rear and it not working right at all, so back up front now....had thought it worked fine once before, but on light throttle it makes the engine surge like mad....and I tried all sorts of vac lines too...no go, just too long...
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 AM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrvette
Chris, do you have any idea how that reg/filter works?? it don't seem to have a vac line from engine going into it...so what is the reference point on the thing??? I does not look adjustable either....

I tried moving my L98 regualtor to the rear and it not working right at all, so back up front now....had thought it worked fine once before, but on light throttle it makes the engine surge like mad....and I tried all sorts of vac lines too...no go, just too long...
Good question. The LS engines don't use a vacuum signal to adjust fuel pressure (don't be fooled by the 97/98 Vette rails - the vacuum line on the rail based reg is not a vacuum, but a dump port incase it leaks). The LS engines hold a constant pressure, then adjust the fuel feed by the pulse width to the injectors. It is a whole different concept of fuel control and is much easier to manage than trying to account for both fuel pressure changes and injector pulse.

Unless you went with an LS computer swap to your L98, this style reg/filter wouldn't do you any good.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric pump in the tank for EFI????

Old 08-09-2009, 10:47 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 878 Likes on 763 Posts

Default I put canister pump in my '68

You can see some pics off to the left under my pics.

It's actually relatively easy. I used a canister pump so I wouldn't lose suction, the return comes back into it.

I used a Bronco fuel pump because I have Bronco and knew what it looked like....and if worse came to worse, I'd have an extra Bronco fuel pump.

There's a bunch of different cannister-type pumps available and probably something smaller would be easier to play with.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:40 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Update...

This is going to turn out very nice, simple...and inexpensive...but most of all - reliable.

Here are all the parts needed to wrap up the external part of the tank:

And...it will be mounted on the frame rail. I am going to leave an extra loop in the 5/16" return line to make it easier to drop the tank and unhook it once it is further down.

Now...from here forward is going to be really slick. The plan is to turn straight up nylon GM late model line using a line making tool from Dorman/Napa. It will use a female quick disconnect to attach to the outpout on the fuel filter/reg, then go all the way to the rail on the motor.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:16 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The nice part for using the 2000-2002 F-Body fuel pump is self regulated and they can handle a lot of HP. All you have to do is connect the output and return lines together and tee off into a filter and up the in Plenum. The main benefit is have a slosh bucket built into the pump. Works awesome!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric pump in the tank for EFI????