C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mallory Distribtuor leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 07:36 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Mallory Distribtuor leaking oil

I posted on this a LONG LONG time ago (going on 2 years now). This is finally on my list of things to fix so I'm going to bring it up again.

My distributor is a Mallory dual point (converted to Unilite), mechanical tach, mechanical advance only.

The problem: When installed properly, the oil hole for the distributor shaft is poingint pretty much at the oil hole in the block, so the shaft of the distributor gets over-pressured, oil works past the top bushing and then drips (annoyingly) out of the holes on the bottom of the dist, onto my once clean intake & block.

Someone, I don't recall who, posted about fising that bushing. I'm looking for either that person or someone else who has had a similarproblem or experience with the Mallory distributor.

Thanks!!
Old 02-16-2002, 01:26 AM
Lt1er
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Mallory Distribtuor leaking oil (ddecart)

I've never seen that before and I've had a Mallory for over 10 years and I have my #1 lined up for proper oiling. Just by chance do you have pressure in the crank case? I have a PVC to one valve cover and a Vent on the other
Old 02-16-2002, 01:35 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Mallory Distribtuor leaking oil (Lt1er)

This first showed up after I did an engine rebuild. Put in a new High Volume pump. (it already had a high pressure/high volume pump in it) and I started getting this leak.

I called mallory and they weren't surprised by it. Their solution was to turn the distributor 90+ degrees so the oil holes don't line up directly. That bandaged the immediate problem, but now my tach drive doesn't line up. So I need to fix the distributor bushing in order to fix the root cause of the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Mallory Distribtuor leaking oil

Quick Reply: Mallory Distribtuor leaking oil