C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously considering removal of side pipes!! :-(

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:52 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Seriously considering removal of side pipes!! :-(

I just don't know if I can take the noise anymore. I have spiral baffles in the tubes with 5\8 holes drilled in the ends of them. Not having the holes made it quieter but realy choked the BB down. Do I have any alternative? I hate to lose the look but I can't here the stereo at all!!!!!! The drone gets old as well.

If I do chage is there a bolt up kit from anyone or do I need to take it to a muffler shop after installing headers?

Thanks
Wade
Old 08-14-2009, 12:05 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRat
Not having the holes made it quieter but realy choked the BB down. Wade
You're kidding...plugged vs. unplugges is just a mere 3 -5 HP, if that much
Old 08-14-2009, 12:12 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Wade,
Unfortunately there aren't any bolt up kits for use with headers. Too many variables and I think the market is too small. I'd DEFINITELY recommend a 3" system like I've got. We've essentially got the same motor but you've got a few more cubes than me. Well, we have the same cam, LOL. But with my 3" system and dynoing I think I've got it dialed in about as optimally as it's going to get. My old roller cam (a tad more duration and a tad more lift) put 480 hp/tq to the rear wheels through the exhaust and running on a crappy fuel system setup. I'd be willing to bet that if I had your exhaust setup I would have lost 20+ hp.

My system is this: 2" primaries, 3" collectors, 3" dual through the stock crossmemeber, x-pipe, 3" Dynomax Ultra Flows, 3 1/2" tips. Sounds great, performs great, I couldn't ask for more. You should definitely pick up some performance over your system with something like mine (I MOST definitely recommend my mufflers but you could run the Pypes mufflers like Jim Moore <427Hotrod> just switched to) and your ears will most certainly thank you. Now, finding a shop that will put 3" pipes through your stock crossmember is another story. Only the better shops will/can do it. Or, you could go with a Bowtie (or custom) tubular crossmember and just go under the x-member and straight back.

Last edited by tshort; 08-14-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:13 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your not happy with the noise you should go to under car exhaust. looks or no, you won't be happy untill you do. mine is louder than a pissed off banshie, but i love it.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tshort
Wade,
Unfortunately there aren't any bolt up kits for use with headers. Too many variables and I think the market is too small. I'd DEFINITELY recommend a 3" system like I've got. We've essentially got the same motor but you've got a few more cubes than me. Well, we have the same cam, LOL. But with my 3" system and dynoing I think I've got it dialed in about as optimally as it's going to get. My old roller cam (a tad more duration and a tad more lift) put 480 hp/tq to the rear wheels through the exhaust and running on a crappy fuel system setup. I'd be willing to bet that if I had your exhaust setup I would have lost 20+ hp.

My system is this: 2" primaries, 3" collectors, 3" dual through the stock crossmemeber, x-pipe, 3" Dynomax Ultra Flows, 3 1/2" tips. Sounds great, performs great, I couldn't ask for more. You should definitely pick up some performance over your system with something like mine (I MOST definitely recommend my mufflers but you could run the Pypes mufflers like Jim Moore <427Hotrod> just switched to) and your ears will most certainly thank you. Now, finding a shop that will put 3" pipes through your stock crossmember is another story. Only the better shops will/can do it. Or, you could go with a Bowtie (or custom) tubular crossmember and just go under the x-member and straight back.

Travis,

What headers did you go with? Did a chain shop do your exhaust or did you have to find someone special? Did they build the "X". Not ever having under car exhaust puts me at a disadvantage for knowing what to tell a shop and making sure they get it right.

Thanks
Wade
Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Wade,
My headers are some hybrid that Jim gave me. They were chopped and extended for raised port heads.
Yes, look for a local custom shop, not a chain store. I brought the X in but they usually either have them or can build one. If you find a shop that can do it just ask them about it. I bought my X from eBay and it was pretty cheap. The only thing you really need to tell them is if you want some breaks in it so you can remove the pipes to service trans, etc. I put one break in mine after the collectors and before the x-member and had them use a band clamp. Then you'll need to tell them where you want your x and how you want it routed under the rear-end and how you want the mufflers angled.
I've seen some guys put the x right below the differential but that isn't the optimal place (it's just an easy place to put it). Optimally you want the x about as close to the collectors on a Vette as you can. The first place that can realistically fit is right after the x-member. Then under the rear end I like to have a space so I can fit my jack between the pipes and jack up the rear from the strut rod bracket and differential. The stock configuration has the mufflers angled so that the spare tire carrier fits but since I took my spare tire carrier off I had them mount the mufflers level and high so they look better. Then you need to tell them what kind of tips and how far out to put them. I like the fat single-wall tips exiting very close to the holes. Some guys like to stick those babies what seems to be a mile out from the rear of the body. I personally don't like that.

These are some old pictures of my first go round. After installing the TKO 2 yrs later I had to redo the exhaust and I don't have any pics of what it looks like now but it's largely the same.

Here's the only current pic I have:

I've seen some guys here on the forum do a better looking job and hopefully they can add some pics but something like mine gets the job done.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:12 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Awesome thanks Travis!!!

Anyone else with advice on header type and some under car exhaust pics is greatly appreciated!

Wade
Old 08-14-2009, 04:59 PM
AndersT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Awesome thanks Travis!!!

Anyone else with advice on header type and some under car exhaust pics is greatly appreciated!

Wade
Hi Wade

Here is a thread from the Danish corvette forum with the building process of my new true 3" dual exhaust. It shows pictures from beginning to the end:

http://www.club-corvette.dk/ccdforum...ad.php?t=32059

The exhaust is custom made by a Danish tig-welder - IMO its a perfect result......and he did a great job fitting the 3" pipe through the crossmember and smothen every welds.

We used hooker super competition headers (1 7/8 primary and 3" collector), magnaflow x-pipe, simons free flow mufflers, magnaflow mufflers tucked up in the rear and gibson tips.

The extra muffler from Simons where installed because off the engine - its a bowtie L88 with a pretty loud cam.

Now I´m only waiting for my next shipment from the states - new suspension (van steel rear coil overs with offset arm and front qa1´s), poly bushings and 18s from billet specialties....- so hopefully I can take some better photos from under the car without my eyes freezing on the rusty leaf spring and all the other 40 year old parts...

Ohh, forgot to mention; this new system also replaced hooker sidepipes by same reason as you...- the loudness was just too much, and all attempts to make a bit more silent didnt do the job....

Last edited by AndersT; 08-14-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All I can say is booooo! Get some ear plugs and who needs a radio when you got the sweet sound of sidepipes shaking your brains out? I dont know about the spiral baffles but I havent noticed a drop in power at all in my car using sidepipes with sweet thunder mufflers.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Greg73convertible
Advanced

Get a better stereo!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg73convertible
Get a better stereo!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Alberni Redneck
Cruising

Anders T
I like the clover clamps used just before the X pipe. What a great way to make the system more worker friendly.

Glen.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:05 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg73convertible
Get a better stereo!
Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have taken my vette twice to my parents...1350 miles round trip or a hard 9 hr drive each way. The first 6hrs is not so bad...the last three hours drive me insane such that I am ready to explode with the noise from the pipes. Cruising in town I do enjoy listening to my side pipes very much and making sure others can hear me roaring down the street.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Highhat
Pro

Who makes 2" inch primary headers for a corvette that arent sidepipe headers?
Old 08-15-2009, 03:41 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hooker, Hedman that come to mind
Old 08-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Highhat
Pro

For SBC Hedman has 1 5/8 and hooker 1 3/4

Get notified of new replies

To Seriously considering removal of side pipes!! :-(

Old 08-15-2009, 08:24 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I just don't know if I can take the noise anymore. I have spiral baffles in the tubes with 5\8 holes drilled in the ends of them. Not having the holes made it quieter but realy choked the BB down. Do I have any alternative? I hate to lose the look but I can't here the stereo at all!!!!!! The drone gets old as well.

If I do chage is there a bolt up kit from anyone or do I need to take it to a muffler shop after installing headers?

Thanks
Wade
You could try lining the interior and doors with Dynamat products, maybe double layers.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:33 PM
johnmb
Racer

Stereo is a pair of side pipes.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:18 AM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I just don't know if I can take the noise anymore. ... The drone gets old as well.
Don't do anything rash! I'm sure there's a support group on the 'net somewhere that can help. Tinnitus is your friend, that radio will poison your brain.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering removal of side pipes!! :-(