C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why won't it turn over?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:22 PM
21boy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nitronick
That right there sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. A pretty major one. Have someone put their hand covering the air horn of the carburetor and see if she starts.

I'll try that too thank you.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:43 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe its time to just buy a new carb.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 PM
21boy
Racer

I suppose that's always an idea, but I was worried that if I pick one up from ebay or a junkyard that the same thing might occur. But they do still make new quads' correct?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming the carb is original to your car, and you are the first person to moles... uh ...repair it; it is calibrated for your engine and its state of tune. Unless you were fortunate enough to find a NOS GM part number ####### specific to your model and year what you might buy now is just a "universal" replacement. So please either educate yourself enough to do this completely and correctly, or pay someone to do it for you. I feel that the effort to acquire the requisite tools and knowledge to do my own repairs is a good thing... your experience may vary.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 PM
21boy
Racer

Originally Posted by markids77
Assuming the carb is original to your car, and you are the first person to moles... uh ...repair it; it is calibrated for your engine and its state of tune. Unless you were fortunate enough to find a NOS GM part number ####### specific to your model and year what you might buy now is just a "universal" replacement. So please either educate yourself enough to do this completely and correctly, or pay someone to do it for you. I feel that the effort to acquire the requisite tools and knowledge to do my own repairs is a good thing... your experience may vary.
Lol, as for the first sentence its not like I turned it into an Andy Warhal piece, just replaced the float components and a few gaskets. Apparently that wasn't enough, but I think that by testing it and maybe rebuilding the entire thing would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 PM
jeff79'
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 21boy
Lol, as for the first sentence its not like I turned it into an Andy Warhal piece, just replaced the float components and a few gaskets. Apparently that wasn't enough, but I think that by testing it and maybe rebuilding the entire thing would be helpful. Thanks.
Dude, I'm telling you.....$150.00 and you'll have a brand new carb....Just get it re-built, or it will never be right with your skill level....Even I'm smart enough to know when I can't do something properly.I can do alot of mechanical things but the carb isn't one of them.

Quick Reply: Why won't it turn over?