C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I have here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:48 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What do I have here?

Just pulled from 1978 Chevy pickup... apparent 350 with factory 4 barrel intake and Q-jet. Casting number on block is 3970010, head numbers are either 462824 or 484824 (hard to see.) I doubt it's a 1970 LT-1 but it might be the next powerplant for the 1977. What exactly did I get? Thanks in advance for the research!
Old 09-06-2009, 05:02 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop off the oil pan and check to see if it is 2 bolt or 4 bolt main engine. The casting number of the block is a 350 but it can have both types of mains (2 or 4 bolt) If it is a four bolt main engine there may be a chance that you have decent rods and crank for being able to build a good strong bottom end that will allow you to "feel better" that the rotating parts of your engine are made out of the better materials that GM offered.

If it is a two bolt main engine, you will need to have a machine shop check and let you know if the crank,rods, and pistons are worthy of a horsepower upgrade...if that is what you are trying to achieve. Trying to put 400 horsepower to crappy rods and pistons will work but it is always better to make sure that your bottom end is "bullet proof" thus making it less likely that a problem occurs due to higher ompression and the bottom end parts not really being able to handle that type of situation. I know of many engines that have been modified (with a weak bottom end) and had gone bad due to the bottom end not being all that it could be. Others may agree or disagree with me...but it is what i have seen over the long term.
"DUB"
Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the quick reply, it's good to know it is a 350. I intend a "near stock" rebuild using cast flattops, the OE manifold and the same Q-jet; freshened... I have the original exhaust manifolds from the '77, will go into a 2 inch "off road" system. I do wonder if the heads merit anything beyond a single angle valve job though... there are definitely no aluminum heads in this engine's future. I hope to use a mild hydraulic cam (204,214@.050, .422 int, .444 exh with 107,117 centers). I would spend the extra coin for some bowl work/pocket porting but only if the gain would exceed the financial pain. If I LOVE this car when finished, there is a 427 small block and some better suspension in the future; otherwise I just don't want to get in over my head right now.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:10 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Never mind. Seems the 462624 are the red headed stepchild of the SBC world... and are probably cracked to boot. Anyone out there have a free set of any other casting number heads?

Get notified of new replies

To What do I have here?

Quick Reply: What do I have here?