C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bee Jay's Pace Car Spoiler w/splitter added

Old 09-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Default Bee Jay's Pace Car Spoiler w/splitter added

I got tired of getting my body color Pace Car front spoiler painted almost annually, twice this year. I decided to add a splitter to protect the paint and maybe add some performance. I started with 1/4" plywood and came up with this. If this works good, I can use this as a pattern and cut one out in aluminum sheet. I drove it to church today and the plywood already protected the spoiler twice. What do you guys think?
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 09-07-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used a small strip of aluminum, flexible about 1" wide in the center.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I think it looks great but then again I really like your car anyway. We need a high speed road test and full report though.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:35 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Bee Jay, I love that car, kind of partial to the color too. So the plywood or aluminum is used as a stiffener so the spoiler will hold it's shape at speed and stop the flexing that damages the paint? I'm thinking it's a good idea. Do you think it will help force more air throuth the valance with the more stable shape. My 75 isn't getting enough air at speed, runs a little hot despite all my attempts. That spoiler and stiffener looks like an improvement over the 75 design and may be in my car's future if it's a bolt on.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '75
Bee Jay, I love that car, kind of partial to the color too. So the plywood or aluminum is used as a stiffener so the spoiler will hold it's shape at speed and stop the flexing that damages the paint? I'm thinking it's a good idea. Do you think it will help force more air throuth the valance with the more stable shape. My 75 isn't getting enough air at speed, runs a little hot despite all my attempts. That spoiler and stiffener looks like an improvement over the 75 design and may be in my car's future if it's a bolt on.
Thanks '75! No, the main reason I did this was to stop tearing up the paint on steep driveway ramps, tall speed bumps, and curbs. The spoiler doesn't flex that much, so it's not a problem, but this does significantly stiffen and unitize the spoiler. Splitters are added to race cars all of the time to increase the effectiveness of the spoiler, so maybe that will be an added benifit. I ran the car for a while without the front spoiler earlier this summer and the water temps soared. With this and the front lisence plate mod, water temp issues are thing of the past.
Bee Jay
Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi BJ,
From above, it looks like it belongs there!
GOOD IDEA.
Maybe you could make one out of carbon fiber, like the ZR-1?
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
... That spoiler and stiffener looks like an improvement over the 75 design and may be in my car's future if it's a bolt on.
Bolts on.

The Indy ft. spoiler designed for our Vettes w/ wind tunnel scoops up air for cooling, cleans up airflow underneath & sweeps the airflow around the front tires.
Rec. for all performance 68-79 ! I put factory 3 piece on as soon as possible, so early that the paint matches & it appears original.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:42 AM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

that just lowered the front end by a 1/4 of an inch, so technically that would make your rubbing problem worse.

Are other people rubbing your car on curbs and driveways?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:46 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Nice spitter!

Is it Pos camber eating up you front tires? I took the guesing out of the alignment settings and use the shops IR temp gun
Old 09-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wer2xu
that just lowered the front end by a 1/4 of an inch, so technically that would make your rubbing problem worse.

Are other people rubbing your car on curbs and driveways?
The problem was agravated when I lowered the car so that the 275/40-17 tires filled the wheel well. The painted Pace Car spoiler is almost two inches lower than it was designed for. Yes, I made the problem 1/4" worse, but I can touch up the plywood plank regularly with a small paint brush. The yellow urethane spoiler should go untouched and not need painting so often.
Bee Jay
Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gkull
Nice spitter!

Is it Pos camber eating up you front tires? I took the guesing out of the alignment settings and use the shops IR temp gun
Hi George. That was happening with 0 camber. I now have 1 degree of negative camber now. Problem solved. I put new front tires on this morning.
Bee Jay
Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

That is a great design! Could be be made out of urethane PVC or a hard rubber composit?
Old 09-07-2009, 05:57 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've taken to wrapping the bottom edge of my spoiler with black duct tape - which is easily replaced - but I like this solution tons better. I'm gonna have to rush out and do something similiar - I like the aluminum idea - as it can be kept natural and touchups would be a thing of the past.

exactly where are you attaching it?

I like a lot - 1st step - yet another repaint of the spoiler
Old 09-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fauxrs2
I've taken to wrapping the bottom edge of my spoiler with black duct tape - which is easily replaced - but I like this solution tons better. I'm gonna have to rush out and do something similiar - I like the aluminum idea - as it can be kept natural and touchups would be a thing of the past.

exactly where are you attaching it?

I like a lot - 1st step - yet another repaint of the spoiler
I mounted it using the same mounting holes the center spoiler piece uses. I got screws 1 1/2" long, and 1" nylon spacers. The screws go thru a washer, thru the splitter, thru the spacer, thru the spoiler center section, and then into the mounting holes. I'll try to take a picture from the backside next time I have the car up on the lift.

Bee Jay
Old 09-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Hey, I found this old Saleen S7 picture. I guess my splitter isn't so tacky afterall. It sure works great. Not one new blemish on my painted spoiler since install. Still trying to find a suitable material to replace the 1/4" plywood.
My oil cooler is mounted flat in the middle panel behind my bumper. The spoiler forces air up thru it. Works great. My tranny cooler is my AC condenser in it's stock location. Works great too.

Bee Jay
Old 09-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Still trying to find a suitable material to replace the 1/4" plywood.
Carbon Fiber!

A man of your means should be able to fab one up made out of carbon fiber.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Carbon Fiber!

A man of your means should be able to fab one up made out of carbon fiber.
Right after I get my Titanium rotors.

Get notified of new replies

To Bee Jay's Pace Car Spoiler w/splitter added

Old 09-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Right after I get my Titanium rotors.
OK you win. Lets not go the titanium route again.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Splitter II
My plywood splitter has been doing a great job of protecting my painted pace car spoiler, but at speeds above 100mph, the splitter tries to split from the spoiler. So I cut out another plywood spoiler but now with a 1 1/2" extension instead of the original 3/4". This allowed me to put two bolts thru the nose of the splitter up to the frame. I also made the splitter longer, it now extends almost to the lower a arms. It's the original length in front of the front tires. I haven't driven it yet, but the splitter, and as a result, the spoiler are now mounted very solid. I could almost jack the car up by the spoiler. With the longer splitter, it's going to be a bear to drain the radiator. I'm glad I'm experementing with plywood before I make it out of something more exotic.

Last edited by Bee Jay; 10-04-2009 at 11:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (05-13-2017)
Old 10-05-2009, 02:40 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you have the shape perfected, see if you can get it made out of Delrin plastic, in black. Then you dont have to worry about touching up the paint of the plywood and the Delrin may even be lighter.

Find a plastics machine type shop and have them cut you a pattern same as your plywood or just get a blank stock sheet, 1/4 thick and do it yourself.

I think it would look worlds better than plywood.

Brent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bee Jay's Pace Car Spoiler w/splitter added