C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Cost Of LS Swap Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 PM
63Nova
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Cost Of LS Swap Parts?

How much does it cost to do the actual swap? If I did it I wouldn't use any EFI stuff, just the MSD box and carb it, just wondering how much the total parts on the mounts, headers, oil pan, trans adapter plate, etc have run everyone else.

IF I did it I would keep it mated to my th350 and keep everything else stock, just the LS engine up front. As I can pick up used short block for 400.00

I am new to LS engines but the power they make over the others intruiges me, and I would like to learn about them anyway.

I know there is a thread on this, but it is WAAAAYYYY too long for me to spend searching for an answer I may or may not get.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:32 PM
wiseman79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing what you're describing now, going carb and using a 2004r (parts needed to use the th350 are the same). Off the top of my head...

Mount plates- $90 or less
Intake & controller- $650
Adapter pieces to use th350- $50 if I remember right? Anyway not much.
Straight water neck- $40 but some make their own.
Electric fuel pump, regulator, etc- Varies greatly on how nice you want, HP needs, etc.
You'll have a lot of little stuff, different rad hoses, might as well add new motor mounts, you'll need an electric fan if you don't already have one, anything major I'm forgetting guys?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:43 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wiseman79
I'm doing what you're describing now, going carb and using a 2004r (parts needed to use the th350 are the same). Off the top of my head...

Mount plates- $90 or less
Intake & controller- $650
Adapter pieces to use th350- $50 if I remember right? Anyway not much.
Straight water neck- $40 but some make their own.
Electric fuel pump, regulator, etc- Varies greatly on how nice you want, HP needs, etc.
You'll have a lot of little stuff, different rad hoses, might as well add new motor mounts, you'll need an electric fan if you don't already have one, anything major I'm forgetting guys?
Pulleys, and brackets, new power steering pump, water pump, a/c compressor, and alternator and so forth.. You are going to need to buy new headers unless you want to keep them restrictive manifolds. A dewitts rad and dual fans will set u back about $1000 if you do not already have them.. Installing something that wasn't initially designed to be there will nickle and dime you to death!

Most of the builds, I've seen require atleast $5k but they are usually closer to $10k.

I don't know your goals, but if you are only looking for power, I say stay with the Gen1's. I mean you are doing away with the EFI and you are keeping the TH350, that alone is defeating the purpose of the LSx swap. Do some research, the LSx's aren't any better than the Gen1's (I am not saying that the Gen1's are better than the LSx's). In fact, I believe most don't do the Gen1's justice, but that is another topic all alone. When you do some research, you'll notice that most roller cam Gen1's can and will produce some very good numbers when paired with the right heads, intake, and ignition.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by FRSTR90
Installing something that wasn't initially designed to be there will nickle and dime you to death!
You got that right!

PG.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:23 AM
wiseman79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I faced the LS1/gen 1 decision myself. I do think the LS is still a better decision minus FI. The biggest pro is it's all aluminum so considerably lighter. It's strong, durable, more efficient, and has the cool factor when you open the hood. I agree about the overdrive, it was a priority for my build. The only reason I'm using a 2004r is I ordered it from BTO when I was planning on going with another gen1 motor, then later decided to go LS. I didn't think there was enough of a benefit to sell my trans and install kit at a loss and buy a newer style trans.

Get notified of new replies

To Total Cost Of LS Swap Parts?

Quick Reply: Total Cost Of LS Swap Parts?