C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing XS-Power hooker style sidepipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:27 AM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Installing XS-Power hooker style sidepipes

Here is an "how to" guide for installing side pipes on your C3 corvette.

First though a quick review if I may.
I ordered these XS-Power sidepipes on Monday and they showed up on Friday, so I am very happy with the turn around. The packaging was exceptional, it took me over 10 minutes to get the stuff un- packed!

The pipes are mirror polished stainless steel. The welds are all tigged and they are very nice welds. The primaries are 1 7/8" into a 5" collector and then tapers down to 4" and the side pipes are 4".

The very first thing you need to do is disconnect the battery.

Jack the front of the car up and secure it on jack stands

Next remove the stock exhaust and headers from the car.

On the driver side. Remove the Z-bar if you have a manual transmission.

Un-plug the spark plug wires from the plugs, you can leave the plugs on, just be careful!

Install the side pipe header from the bottom of the car. I used a jack stand to hold the collector up while I bolted the header to the block.

Reinstall the Z-bar.

You can now put your plug wires on and re-install your spark plug looms if you have them.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:27 AM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

Notice how nicely the pipes fit around the steering gear box.

They fit nice and tight to the frame. They have awesome ground clearance.

Now lets move onto the passenger side.

Remove the dipstick.

Un-plug the spark plug wires from the plugs, you can leave the plugs on, just be careful!

Install the side pipe header from the bottom of the car. Again I used a jack stand to hold the collector up while I bolted the header to the block.

Now re-install your plug wires and looms and you are ready to move to the pipes.

Slide the pipes over the collector and tighten the clamp on the pipe with the hardware that you bought at the store. You remembered to get hardware didn't you. :lookinup:

Mark the frame through the hole in the mounting tab welded onto the pipe. Drill the hole then thread the hole and screw in your fastener.

Guess what YOU ARE DONE. Go hook up your battery and then go out and scare your neighbors!

Here is a video of the newly installed sidepipes. The pipes are surprisingly mellow when the car is idling and even cruising. I could even hold a conversation without yelling. But when I opened it up...man did those pipes come alive. We also noticed the idle got alittle more lumpy. Must have been all of that extra air the car was able to shed because of the giant primaries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lcVvt5rLPM

The install took a couple hours and very few tools. The fit was great and the polished stainless looks awesome! And I saved a ton of money over the hookers.

My overall impression of these XS-Power sidepipes is: AWESOME!

Last edited by SUPERPOWERS; 09-13-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:12 AM
Crunch-o-Matic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of insert are you running? I have thought about side pipes but have always heard to get the sound decibel to a reasonable level one has to use a insert which robs lots of power.

I have a 550hp 383 that would love side pipes but I need to hear myself think. You mentioned they were mild at idle...can you tell if they reduced the power?

Crunch
Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

id love to put side pipes on my 72BB but i dont want to have to deal with filling in the rear panel where the exhaust comes out now.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Highwayman
Racer

Originally Posted by baxsom
id love to put side pipes on my 72BB but i dont want to have to deal with filling in the rear panel where the exhaust comes out now.
I was thinking the same thing until I discovered you can buy a rear valance, with the exhaust openings removed. Just paint and install.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:36 AM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

dido on the rear panel.

and for the insert. It comes with an insert installed. I didn't notice a reduction in power. But at 550 I can't say for sure. I guess that you would have to judge that for yourself. I noticed that the insert is only spot welded in, so you could probably take it out and swap it if you didn't like it.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Highwayman
Racer

Originally Posted by SUPERPOWERS
dido on the rear panel.

and for the insert. It comes with an insert installed. I didn't notice a reduction in power. But at 550 I can't say for sure. I guess that you would have to judge that for yourself. I noticed that the insert is only spot welded in, so you could probably take it out and swap it if you didn't like it.
Do you have AC on your car? Also, did you have to make any "adjustments", and how much did these set you back?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:03 PM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

I have A/C on my personal car. The car I used for the demo (my buddies car) does not have A/C.

PM me for the price
Old 09-13-2009, 09:12 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by SUPERPOWERS
Guess what YOU ARE DONE. Go hook up your battery and then go out and scare your neighbors![/B]
Nice write-up.

Just listened to your video. That thing sounds awesome . . . what do you have in it?

Originally Posted by Crunch-o-Matic
What type of insert are you running? I have thought about side pipes but have always heard to get the sound decibel to a reasonable level one has to use a insert which robs lots of power.

I have a 550hp 383 that would love side pipes but I need to hear myself think. You mentioned they were mild at idle...can you tell if they reduced the power?
Crunch
At your power level, have you looked at the STS spiral baffles? Loudness is a relative thing. At first I was surprised how loud the STS baffles were, then I realized they were not that loud from outside the car. They we just loud because the pipes exit right by my ears. So I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center cap and I love the new sound. I'm basicly mild L-48, but can't wait to hear once I complete my 150HP top-end rebuild.

Last edited by redman76; 09-13-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:09 PM
63Nova
Racer

What hardware did you go buy to finish the installation? Which clamps and fasteners?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:41 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Sure looks good and a good price to boot. It would be nice if they would come up with a set of 1 7/8 in. primary undercar headers.

No one makes them and with all the big inch big HP small blocks in C3's these days I bet they would sell more under car long tube headers than sidepipes.

They are half way there with sidepipe headers, just have to reroute the collector
Old 09-13-2009, 10:45 PM
76 sting
Pro

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Sure looks good and a good price to boot. It would be nice if they would come up with a set of 1 7/8 in. primary undercar headers.

No one makes them and with all the big inch big HP small blocks in C3's these days I bet they would sell more under car long tube headers than sidepipes.

They are half way there with sidepipe headers, just have to reroute the collector

I am not too crazy about the welds showing on both sides. Wonder why they placed them in an area that all can see??
Old 09-13-2009, 11:34 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
It would be nice if they would come up with a set of 1 7/8 in. primary undercar headers.

http://stahlheaders.com/Frame%20New%20RR.htm

Click on Chevy SB at the top, then 116A

Last edited by 69autoXr; 09-13-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:40 AM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

Originally Posted by 63Nova
What hardware did you go buy to finish the installation? Which clamps and fasteners?
No clamps, just a bolt and nut to go through the clamp on the side pipe. Then just something to fasten them to the frame.

As for the welds. They polish up pretty easy to match the rest of the pipes.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:19 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwayman
I was thinking the same thing until I discovered you can buy a rear valance, with the exhaust openings removed. Just paint and install.
i have heard of those but id like to see one. i see ecklers, corvette central etc selling them but i would like to see it on the actual car that has been converted before i purchase.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 AM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

Originally Posted by baxsom
i have heard of those but id like to see one. i see ecklers, corvette central etc selling them but i would like to see it on the actual car that has been converted before i purchase.
Just an FYI. This was a factory option on the factory sidepipe cars.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:16 AM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

here are some videos of the STS baffles that were mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhxjCs9msq4&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJHQ7YRSzZo

Get notified of new replies

To Installing XS-Power hooker style sidepipes

Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 AM
63Nova
Racer

Did you absolutely HAVE to remove the rocker panels off of there? Or was that just your choice?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:09 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Nice write up
Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 PM
SUPERPOWERS
Pro

he didn't have rocker panels. He had a factory side pipe exhaust on the car. I am going to let him borrow mine.

Quick Reply: Installing XS-Power hooker style sidepipes