C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake upgrade for 77 c3

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:03 AM
smwst31
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake upgrade for 77 c3

I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my c3. I still have the origonal lip seals and they are leaking like a sieve ... brakes finally gave out last weekend. Does anyone know where I should go to order the o-ring seal calipers and perhpas a new parking brake? There are so many choices online that my head is now spinning. I would really appreciate the help ...

Thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

I got mine from Vette Brakes & Products. They are a long time rebuilder and offer calipers with the 'o' ring seals. I believe that these are best suited to the amount of miles I drive, but some on the Forun disagree. Do a search and decide for yourself.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I agree. I have had good luck with VB and have many components of theirs on my car. Never had a problem with them.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Check duntovmotors.com and see what he says about o-rings vs. lip seals and brake fluid. mds...
Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by smwst31
I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my c3. I still have the origonal lip seals and they are leaking like a sieve ... brakes finally gave out last weekend. Does anyone know where I should go to order the o-ring seal calipers and perhpas a new parking brake? There are so many choices online that my head is now spinning. I would really appreciate the help ...

Thanks
"o-ring seal calipers"
VB&P If you have SS, the VB&P o-ring kit is easy.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VB&P is good. I've used their products for rebuilding brakes on two C3's and the quality is really good.
They also offer discounts (atleast, used to) for corvette forum members. Just call them and tell them that you are a corvette forum member.

I've never tried vansteel, but I have heard good things about their products from a few friends.

The price is about the same between both these vendors.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smwst31

Thanks
You have to make sure that you have stainless steel bore liners or the VB&P O-ring kit won't work for long. If you are the original owner and the calipers are original then they won't be SS-lined. If you aren't sure post some pics of the bores and you will find out for sure.

Parking brake is a different issue. I'd recommend stainless steel components so they will last longer. VB&P, Van Steel, probably Zip all sell SS parking brake hardware. Look around for the best deal.

Rick B.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:29 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rajsid
I've never tried vansteel, but I have heard good things about their products from a few friends.
Van Steel is a great place to do business with also. I've bought rebuilt trailing arm assemblies from them that looked like new, a front suspension rebuild kit, and a differential yoke. I won't hesitate to order from them in the future.

Rick B.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We've been selling the O-Ring conversion kits for $39 per wheel (including pistons) for a while. They are easier to deal with than the lip seals. BUT if you're car is a daily driver I would still go with double lip seals

Get notified of new replies

To brake upgrade for 77 c3

Quick Reply: brake upgrade for 77 c3