C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Interlock Override Relay. Mystery to me, do you know what it does? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 01:21 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Interlock Override Relay. Mystery to me, do you know what it does? (pics)

A long time ago I posted a couple pictures asking what the heck a strange electrical connector was inside my engine compartment. At last I've found it in my Haynes wireing diagram.

This connector:

should have a module attached to it. The Haynes calls the module a "starter interlock override relay." Apparently the module should have a button on it. The item is located here:

Some of the wires from this connector lead into the cabin to another module. This one is located under the radio and called an "interlock relay" by Haynes.

Some of you might have noticed my other posts complaining about how my starter just quit working after switching carbueretors. Obviously, swapping a carb shouldn't kill a starter unless the person doing the swapping is me. Yes I changed to a carb with an electric choke and found this connector a convenient 12v source. Grrr... Serves me right though, plugging into something I don't know what it goes to. Once I get the gauge panel reinstalled I'll start playing with this system to see what I broke. :(
Old 02-21-2002, 01:46 AM
noxqsz
Instructor

Default Re: Starter Interlock Override Relay. Mystery to me, do you know what it does? (Cookwithvette)

Cookie;

Your Corvette was originally equipped with an interlock device which was intended to prevent your car from starting when your safety belt was not latched. Unfortunately, the system sometimes got confused and the car wouldn't start even when your belt was latched. In that case, it was necessary to get out of the car, open the hood, and press the little button that you refer to in your post, which was located on the relay that's missing from your car. That would reset the system and allow you to sit down, strap in, and start the car. Some previous owner has removed the relay, apparently in an effort to disable the interlock. What else that individual did to the interlock system is impossible for me to speculate on, however, it is possible that plugging the interlock connector into your electric choke might have caused your no-start problem. I would encourage you to get the best wiring diagram you can find and see what it takes to disable the interlock without disabling the car. It may be something as simple as disconnecting the wires at your seatbelts and/or underneath your seats. It might be interesting to pull one of your seats and see what you find.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:58 AM
slide
Racer

Default Re: Starter Interlock Override Relay. Mystery to me, do you know what it does? (Cookwithvette)

Looking at my wiring harness diagram for a 75 this should have a relay plugged into it. The connector you have pictured is hooked in conjunction to your starter, your anti theft warning switch and several othe relays. Funny thing is, I don't see this connector on my 75. :confused:
Old 02-21-2002, 02:17 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Cook-
This was another one of GM's "we know what's safe for you" inventions. (I'm venting here alittle) The "Seat belt-starter interlock system" was designed for manditory seat belt usage. The car wouldn't start unless occupant was in seat (frt only) and seat belt was fastened, then starter would turn over. The 'over-ride' relay you refer to was incase of sys malfunction, you pressed button on relay and car would start.
This was another system with lights, buzzers and not to mention massive wiring and switches included. Most owners couldn't wait to disable it like other irritating reminders such as key warning, etc... It was a sequential system that contained modules and forgiving overrides for non-sequential operation.
The connector you show is where the old over-ride relay plugs into. Don't mess with the system unless you're real competent with auto wiring, and don't try 'power tapping' into it either. (as you may of found out)
It mandated the entire GM line for about a year, and was dropped shortly after. (thank gosh) :smash:
Another vette history lesson, one we'd just as soon forget...-Rod :chevy
Old 02-21-2002, 10:38 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Starter Interlock Override Relay. Mystery to me, do you know what it does? (ROD NOCK)

Cook-
This was another one of GM's "we know what's safe for you" inventions.....It mandated the entire GM line for about a year, and was dropped shortly after. (thank gosh)
I think it was more the feds doings than GM. It should be 74 and early 75 models that have this - that explains why some 75's don't. GM
Old 02-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Starter Interlock Override Relay. Mystery to me, do you know what it does? (mayberg)

From what I've seen on the subject, seems as though the first 800 or so '75s also came with this system. Also, I've read here too where all(or most)'74 GM cars will have the parts for these systems too such as '74 Camaro's, '74 Impala's, '74 Nova's, etc. I've looked and looked at these schematics and have yet to be able to follow them!!! Fortunately, mine seems to work OK for now!!! :rolleyes:
Old 02-21-2002, 06:27 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Starter Interlock Override Relay. Mystery to me, do you know what it does? (Paul Borowski)

This system can be overridden fairly simply. All you have to do is use a jumper wire in place of the relay. This makes the system think that everything is ok. Unfortunately, I don't remember which terminals need to be connected with which. I do know that it can be done though.

dl
Old 02-22-2002, 02:53 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks!

Thanks a lot guys! Seatbelts would make sense, numb nutz who owned the car before me replaced the seatbelts with a lap belt from a Chrysler. They don't look too bad but I'd like the shoulder belt. Ecklers has them listed but something tells me that the price is an error. $0.00 Would be nice though.

I'm currently examining the wireing diagram for the car and extracting this system. (Just drawing it seperately.) It looks like a fairly simple setup and would be very easy to bypass.

Wish I found this before I bought the new starter. :smash: :lol:

Thanks again guys!
Old 02-22-2002, 08:35 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

that sort of thing is why I decided to rewire the entire factory harnessing in the dash and engine compartments, except for headlights....
I must have taken out as much silly government wiring as I added for the DPFI, computer and all.....
I'm proud to say my car starts in gear, out of gear, with no interlocks of any kind...among other mods...
I relocated wiper relay from console to cowling, put turn flasher on wired near fusebox....just common sense items....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Interlock Override Relay. Mystery to me, do you know what it does? (pics)

Quick Reply: Starter Interlock Override Relay. Mystery to me, do you know what it does? (pics)