C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front bumper on 1980 'vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:42 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default front bumper on 1980 'vette

Hey, all,

Does anybody out there have any experience with removing the big bumper bar under the bumper cover on '80 to '82 'vettes? Ya know, the big triangular brace that bolts onto the front of the frame under the bumper cover. Do I really need that thing in there?I'm thinking about removing mine and going with a fiberglass bumper cover. I'd like to hear from some folks who have done it, in order to decide. One of the reasons I am contemplating this move is because mine has sustained some damage and I think it might be a little "tweaked" and I would rather not buy a new one, plus, it looks like it weighs about a metric ton! Thanks,

Scott
Old 09-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I am in the middle of a frame off rebuild. I just got the body back on, and that brace holds the entire front nose fenders etc to the car. YOU NEED THIS. Not sure if i would mess with it?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I could be wrong but isnt' the main purpose of that brace to satisfy the 5mph crash test that has to be passed for government safety standards. Else it could have been made out of lighter (aluminum) materials to support all the other parts.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by scottyp99
...Do I really need that thing in there?...
Entirely up to you. That brace is the one major impact absorbing piece in the nose. With it gone, a whack in the nose will probably put you into the radiator, possibly further.

Your call.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:28 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

There doesn't SEEM to be anything of importance attached to it, it looks like the nose would stay up without it, but at the same time, I am leary of not really having anything of any substance in front of the radiator, either. Also, what would the grilles be attached to if this piece were removed? Could the fiberglass piece that goes from side to side be retained in order to have something for the grilles to attach to? What I am really looking for is people who have removed it, and if they are happy about having it gone or not.

Scott
Old 09-17-2009, 07:13 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The piece that you are wanting to remove is needed. There is a rubber busing and bolt that secure front of teh top hood surrond to it so it supports the front of your front end. Without it...you will putting added strain on the body due to the weight of your headlight assemblies. Your front nose of the car will be VERY flexiable and possibly casue cracks. Also this steel support is also a safety issue and you should really reconsider removing it....and here is why....not to long ago I HAD an 81 Covette come into my shop that had this SAME part removed..got into an accident .....and when the INSURANCE COMPANY came out to do an inspection and FOUND that this impact bar was removed....they started asking many questions to the owner and it basically came out that they would NOT cover the costs of the repair due to this safety component was REMOVED. The damage got way back into the radiator and could have been lessened if this piece was still installed like it was designed. This is a component for crash resistance....You would be foolish to remove it and drive the car on the street. I repair Corvettes and this is only MY OPINION. I have seen the difference with and without the impact bar with front end damage...and there is a major difference.....trust me. Leave the impact bar alone.

Or I if you do remove it...and get into an accident...and have a passenger in the car...and they get injured...I hope you have a REALLY good lawyer...because if it comes out that the safety components were removed...you will soon wish you never even though of touching it.

Try "re-inventing the wheel" in another area of your car. major $$$$$ were spent to make sure your ar was up to standards...why mess with that!

I hope you make a good decision....for all of us here on the forum who do not want to read that you or others got hurt do to this "idea" you have.

Best to you and it is only my opinion....but is also COMMON SENSE.
"DUB"
Old 09-18-2009, 11:45 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Well, after giving everyone's reply careful consideratio, I think I will leave it alone for now, and if I do decide to get rid of it, will replace it. Like I said, I think it might be tweaked, not sure tho. I guess I'll spend the money and have a body shop that knows Corvettes look at it and advise me. I kinda had the attitude of "Well, I just won't hit anything, that's all...." but now that I think about it, nobody plans on hitting anything, do they?! Thanks for the advice, and I'll see ya next time!!

Scott
Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by scottyp99
...I kinda had the attitude of "Well, I just won't hit anything, that's all...."
You don't have to worry about you hitting anything. You have to worry about the SUV driver, on the phone, who has no clue you're there, hasn't looked, and isn't going to.

That's who you have to worry about.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:50 AM
Buddy1980
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80 front support

I agree on leaving the support on the car. I am doing a frame off on my 1980, and while mine was off in the shop, I could lean on the front end and it would move down a lot from the lack of no support. It would be foolish to try to drive the car with this support missing. The front fenders would probably crack the first time you hit a good bump in the road, and the legal issues the other guys talked about could also be a problem. I will say this, I fabricate all of my custom parts and I did consider making a aluminum support to replace mine because of the weight issue, but decided it would be best to leave it alone because it looks really strong.

Get notified of new replies

To front bumper on 1980 'vette

Quick Reply: front bumper on 1980 'vette