C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tri Power Carb Questions on my 496 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Irish69427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tri Power Carb Questions on my 496 Build

Have posted elsewhere the progress on my 496 tri power build but need some expert opinions on what is going on with the fuel curve.

1. The idle mixture screws have very little effect on the idle and it is very lean even backed all the way out. I have always heard the idle circuit is rich on this center carb so wonder what is going on. Cam is only 244/253 solid so it really shouldn't be a problem. How much effect does the fixed idle circuit in the end carbs have. I put in jet conversion plates and I am wondering if the holes drilled in these plates are smaller for the bypass idle fuel that feeds the fixed orifices in the base plate?

2. The carbs were flowed and modified by AED and ran a very flat fuel curve at all depression drops when finished. But on the motor the midrange is very fat 10.5-11.3 AF and then gradually leans to mid twelves by 6000 RPM. I know I am giving up some serious midrange peak torque with this curve. Any ideas on how to correct this?

3. Has anyone ran any type of carb spacer under these carbs and if so what were the results. They are all two hole design and I would have to think an open spacer giving more manifold volume would help top end.

4. Alternatively, has anyone milled down the divider plate in the manifold or eliminated the separate holes to achieve more plenum volume and top end.

Mike

Last edited by Irish69427; 10-04-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 10-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

the idle fuel flow is directly proportional to the vacuum.
higher speed=higher vacuum=more fuel(to a point)
what is current vacuum, idle speed? base timing? vac advance? total advance at idle?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:09 PM
brngrhd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 468 has the same carbs mine are stock all but the AED plates which i also have mine has 77 on the outers and the stock 71's on the center...... however after my last dyno session im getting some STS baffles here is my motor dyno

and the wheel dyno. the overlay is with and with out the air cleaner top

the torque dropping off and hp laying down is from the crappy baffles

Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 PM
brngrhd
Racer

BTW mine has open spacers under the carbs...... well open except the spray bars

and mine has been converted to manual linkage
Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Irish69427
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
the idle fuel flow is directly proportional to the vacuum.
higher speed=higher vacuum=more fuel(to a point)
what is current vacuum, idle speed? base timing? vac advance? total advance at idle?
Base timing is about 18 to 20 degrees which should be about perfect for this build. Total mechanical on the last run was 38 degrees. No vaccuum advance at this point but it would be ported anyway on a tripower and activate right off idle.

Vaccum is about 15 inches although it is tough to get it to idle because of the very lean mixture.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Irish69427
Racer

Originally Posted by brngrhd
my 468 has the same carbs mine are stock all but the AED plates which i also have mine has 77 on the outers and the stock 71's on the center...... however after my last dyno session im getting some STS baffles here is my motor dyno

Your air fuel mixture curve looks almost the exact opposite of mine with yours being a little leaner everywhere. Your lean in the midrange and then go fat. Mine does the exact opposite. Are those 1/2" spacers? Do they fit under a stock 69 hood and what did they do for power?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Irish69427
Racer

Was looking through a mopar magazine (yes I know it is a moral violation) but I noticed company called promax that is expert in 6 pack carbs on mopars. I know these are very similar. They have a modified base plate for the end carbs that allows idle mixture adjustment while the carbs are on the motor. Anyone ever use these or have experience with them?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

does it have a PCV valve?
as a test, try simulating a vac advance:
1. advance base 10-15
2. reduce idle speed screw
3. try adj. mixture
4. dont drive! it is an idle test.
does this work? it should.
if yes, then it needs vac adv.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 PM
brngrhd
Racer

mine has no vac advance either..... yes the nitrous plates fit under the stock hood and yes they are 1/2 inch thick.... i know the a/f went from leaner to richer on the engien dyno but on the wheel dyno it was straight across the board needs a bit more fuel.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
does it have a PCV valve?
as a test, try simulating a vac advance:
1. advance base 10-15
2. reduce idle speed screw
3. try adj. mixture
4. dont drive! it is an idle test.
does this work? it should.
if yes, then it needs vac adv.
2nd TEST, if 1st doesn't quite make it, while keeping the best advance from test #1,
is to plug the pcv and try to idle down to 13" or ~ 700 rpm.

Last edited by Matt Gruber; 10-06-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Irish69427
Racer

mine has no vac advance either..... yes the nitrous plates fit under the stock hood and yes they are 1/2 inch thick.... i know the a/f went from leaner to richer on the engien dyno but on the wheel dyno it was straight across the board needs a bit more fuel.
Did the spacers have any impact on power or did you not run the engine without them as a baseline to know whether they helped or not? I can put them on and take them off when I get back on the dyno but if you have some data great. Nice custom linkage. Any bogs with that set up given the lack of accelerator pumps?

Last edited by Irish69427; 10-08-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Dude you are losing 42% of your power by the time it gets to the wheels....something is not right there. Granted you have a TH400 and a 9"..... Those side pipes must be DESTROYING your power.... I could see 30% parasitic loss but....that should still leave you at 400+rwhp...

I would go back to an under car exhaust.....side pipes just suck.

Sorry to the OP about the threadjack. I don't know **** about Tri-powers but I agree you are way fat in the midrange. Are you using a wideband datalogger or getting this info off of a chasis dyno? If on the chasis dyno, are they putting the oxygen sensor in the collector or a tailpipe adapter? I have seen screwy sh*t happen with the tailpipe adapters, one of which is an extremely lean idle and low speed readings....too much room for error with tail pipe sniffers....(exhaust leaks, reversion etc)
Old 10-08-2009, 10:18 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Are you certain that the carbs can open completely via the throttle linkage/cable and the accelerator pedal? Testing them manually under the hood is OK, but it doesn't assure that your hardware is operating the same way with your foot. Perhaps its a transition thing at WOT between the middle carb and the outer ones....
Old 10-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

with an open spacer i'd expect less torque below 3000, poor manners cold(stalling) and the idle will need to be richer and higher rpm.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
howarsc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have 2 orifices in the metering plates. Only one is the jets, the other is the idle circuit. Increase it a few thousanths. There are other plates available from holley with both orifices increased if you want a guide.

PS. I am jealous that you beat me to get it up and going.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Irish69427
Racer

Originally Posted by howarsc
you have 2 orifices in the metering plates. Only one is the jets, the other is the idle circuit. Increase it a few thousanths. There are other plates available from holley with both orifices increased if you want a guide.

PS. I am jealous that you beat me to get it up and going.
I have AED replacement metering plates that allow the use of regular jets for tuning so using another fixed metering plate would be a step back in tuning capability. But I do believe the orifice in this replacement metering plate is smaller and contributing to the problem. The standard metering plate idle orifice is 35 thousands. Going to check the size of the AED plate this week before any dyno action and drill it out if needed.

Hope you get yours on the dyno soon
Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Irish69427
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Are you certain that the carbs can open completely via the throttle linkage/cable and the accelerator pedal? Testing them manually under the hood is OK, but it doesn't assure that your hardware is operating the same way with your foot. Perhaps its a transition thing at WOT between the middle carb and the outer ones....
These problems are on an engine dyno. Engine is not in the car. We have checked the action of the linkage, etc. and all seems good.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 PM
brngrhd
Racer

BYW i took mine back apart to rejet... i had 71's in all three when i took it to the chassi dyno it was a bit lean 13.2ish now i went to 73's on the outer two and im a steady 12.7 all the way.

Get notified of new replies

To Tri Power Carb Questions on my 496 Build

Quick Reply: Tri Power Carb Questions on my 496 Build