C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pace car decals

Old 10-16-2009, 08:07 PM
leetownreb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pace car decals

can the 78 pace car decals be removed w/o ruining the paint??? thanx
Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Depends on how long they have been on there. A heat gun and a razor blade should get it off. Then go back with some goof off to get the sticky residue off. If it has been on there a long time, the paint will be faded around the decal but not underneath. You may be able to see where the decas were.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Go to an autobody supply store, they sell a rubber wheel that goes into a die grinder (or drill motor) that will burn off the decals. I have done this on Enamel paint jobs, with the Lacquer on your 78 you should be careful of overheating the paint and cooking it off. Talk to the body supply guy about it, I think it will work for you.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:28 AM
leetownreb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 78 pace car decal

thanx for the reply. I am not a body guy and was hoping for an easier, non-invasive solution.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:56 AM
71coupe454
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a heat gun and razor blades on my 79 z-28 decals and it worked well, could still be seen because of fading but a light wet sand and buff help that a lot. If your replacing them I would think you will be fine. If not, your just gonna have to go for it and see what ya end up with. Go slow and careful, 4d-40 desolves the sticky pretty well.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:12 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
Depends on how long they have been on there. A heat gun and a razor blade should get it off. Then go back with some goof off to get the sticky residue off. If it has been on there a long time, the paint will be faded around the decal but not underneath. You may be able to see where the decas were.
Originally Posted by 71coupe454
I used a heat gun and razor blades on my 79 z-28 decals and it worked well, could still be seen because of fading but a light wet sand and buff help that a lot. If your replacing them I would think you will be fine. If not, your just gonna have to go for it and see what ya end up with. Go slow and careful, 4d-40 desolves the sticky pretty well.
Taking your time, having patcience, and being very careful is the key here and you will be able to see were they were.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: Original Pace Car graphics cannot be replaced unless you happen across an unused box of the originals. Originals will not include the "Limited Edition" decals since those were installed at St. Louis. If you find an unused box of originals, expect them to be extremely expensive and 40 years old.

You will probably have to use a reproduction kit if you remove your originals and want to replace them.

Get notified of new replies

To pace car decals

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pace car decals