C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dart vs china block

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Default dart vs china block

Dart liitle - M block
nickel content .0149, Molydenum .0211, copper 0.404

Dart SHP block
nickel content .071, molybdenum .016, copper .0283

Chinese block
nickel content .005, molybdenum .005, copper .020

brinell test using rockwell B scale
dart Little-M = 200
Dart SHP = 190
chinese = 107
Old 10-30-2009, 05:24 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
Dart liitle - M block
nickel content .0149, Molydenum .0211, copper 0.404

Dart SHP block
nickel content .071, molybdenum .016, copper .0283

Chinese block

brinell test using rockwell B scale
dart Little-M = 200
Dart SHP = 190
chinese = 107
Chinese block

If you look back at the numbers I posted on speedtalk on the nickel and molybdium its less then .005

The block I have is extremely soft
Old 10-30-2009, 05:42 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

There is a lot more info in this link
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0
Old 10-30-2009, 06:31 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Like I have said before they are experts at making things than look good and you can't tell there is anything wrong by eye. It's what you can't see that makes them dangerous.

But when a harmonic balancer explodes at 7000RPM it's not a pretty sight
Old 10-30-2009, 07:57 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The real expense in the manufacturing of hard-working parts is in the processing and the machining. If you don't harden a metal part, you save on processing costs; plus, the metal is still soft and easy to machine (to look good). You can't see close tolerance dimensions with the naked eye, but you can be sure that the critical differences are there. If the part you are buying is metal and has to withstand significant levels of stress during its life, spend the extra money. A cheap part is only a good deal if it works properly for a lo-o-o-ng time.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:02 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of the Chinese factories can make parts using supplied molds but they don't understand the processing needed (metalurgy) to make the parts correctly. Unfortunately we find this out when a piston exits the hood at 6,000 RPM.

Rick B.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

HA! American customer, test parts for us, we learn from their grief, and build better Bombs/Rifles to use on them later. We FOOL STUPID Americans, we win in the end! World SHP block for ME!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:03 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And we give them McDonalds,Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC. We'll clog their arteries to death! LOL!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:40 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BLOCKMAN
If you look back at the numbers I posted on speedtalk on the nickel and molybdium its less then .005

The block I have is extremely soft
I don't think the chinese aluminum heads the material in them is any good, but far as I know Scat and Eagle and others are usng chinese
material just the machining is done here.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:23 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
HA! American customer, test parts for us, we learn from their grief, and build better Bombs/Rifles to use on them later. We FOOL STUPID Americans, we win in the end! World SHP block for ME!
China #3 will soon pass japan # 2 then the USA as the manufacturing and economic super power at that point they won't care anything about the USA it will just be a has been.

Everyone is enjoying some lower costs on things now but in the end
(15 to 20 yrs tops) it will bite them in the butt big time with economy's with constant higher unemployment.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 10-31-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:54 AM
TheFinn
Racer

For which American company do the Chinese produce these blocks ie. which American company outsources their blocks from China?
Old 10-31-2009, 08:15 AM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheFinn
For which American company do the Chinese produce these blocks ie. which American company outsources their blocks from China?

It appears PBM and Wheeler are using them and they are know as the Procomp block as well.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:01 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The fact that parts are made in China/Mexico is not the problem. The part quality is dependent upon the materials used and how they are processed and machined. Some [good] companies specify the correct materials, processing and accurate machining and they get it...because they pay for what they are getting (and the parts cost more to assure that). But there are greedy aftermarket vendors that only care about making more profit--they couldn't care less that we are buying 'junk'--so they let the foreign manufacturers make it any way they want...cheap, cheap, cheap. You just have to be careful in your choices on 'working' hard-parts. Don't buy any low-dollar 'working' parts!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 09:31 AM
TheFinn
Racer

Originally Posted by BLOCKMAN
It appears PBM and Wheeler are using them and they are know as the Procomp block as well.
Thanks Carl.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

How much does the Chineese block cost and how much does it weigh? I would think the hardness would only matter that much when it comes to cylinder wear. Harder metal is more prone to cracking.

Most C3ers do not put that many miles on their car anyway so the cylinder wear will probably not be an issue.

How is the machining?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:21 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Originally Posted by turtlevette
How much does the Chineese block cost and how much does it weigh? I would think the hardness would only matter that much when it comes to cylinder wear. Harder metal is more prone to cracking.

Most C3ers do not put that many miles on their car anyway so the cylinder wear will probably not be an issue.

How is the machining?
Machining sucks as the block I have the fornt of the block needs to be machined back .020 as the cam is to far ahead in the block which on a flat tappet engnine the lifters will be over the edge of the camshaft.

With no nickel and no Molybdium the blocks are soft and will wear out fast in the cylinders and lifters bores and also no strenth.

Here is a link on the probing out of the chinese block.

Here is the link on the first findings on the chinese blocks.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:15 PM
69Zlover
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheap aluminum (low nickel content) is still aluminum and a very strong soft metal in general. All the wear and tear will take place on metal skirts or on bearings. The lifters might be a worry, Do you plan on putting 100k on it?.

If the specs were that far out I would say their quality control sucks and now you will have to go over every square inch of that block at a machine shop costing you more money just to have the peace of mind. In the end I think you will still do ok as long as you’re not trying to build a 900 HP engine less the fogger system. Aluminum will surprise you at how durable it really is.

Get notified of new replies

To dart vs china block

Old 11-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Zlover
Cheap aluminum (low nickel content) is still aluminum and a very strong soft metal in general. All the wear and tear will take place on metal skirts or on bearings. The lifters might be a worry, Do you plan on putting 100k on it?.

If the specs were that far out I would say their quality control sucks and now you will have to go over every square inch of that block at a machine shop costing you more money just to have the peace of mind. In the end I think you will still do ok as long as you’re not trying to build a 900 HP engine less the fogger system. Aluminum will surprise you at how durable it really is.
Your ignorance shows as we are talking about a CAST IRON engine block here! I have never heard much about Nickle being used in Aluminum alloying. If you can show me any Alluminum alloys containing Nickle, it will be news to me.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:52 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Your ignorance shows as we are talking about a CAST IRON engine block here! I have never heard much about Nickle being used in Aluminum alloying. If you can show me any Alluminum alloys containing Nickle, it will be news to me.
Jeese don't sugar coat it, I was just going to tell him they were iron blocks
Old 11-01-2009, 08:31 AM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

NOW Tell me how you really feel???

Quick Reply: dart vs china block