C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vacuum or mechanical secondaries????

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 02:42 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vacuum or mechanical secondaries????

which is the better way to go????
Old 02-26-2002, 02:44 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: vacuum or mechanical secondaries???? (1bad69)

Depends on your setup....now that i went and saw your sig, with a manual tranny and 3.70's i would definitely vote for mechanical secondaries....
I have a m-21 and 3.55's. I wish I went with a mech. secondaries instead of vacuum Edelbock i got. Nothing against the edelbrock, but its a bolt on and go. So for ease, go with vacuum. For optimal performance go with mech. secondaries.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:48 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

With 4 speed Transmission I would go with Mechanical.More controllable 2nd gear power slides among other things
Old 02-26-2002, 03:00 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

thanks guys.. i think i will go mech. 2nd.....
Old 02-26-2002, 03:02 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert, but prefer the vac. sec., I'm running a 355 ci and an auto tranny. With the mech. sec. I was getting bad gas milage, since I switched to the vac. I get at least twice the mpg.

From a performance stand point, I haven't notcied an differnece. For around town the mech. sec. didn't seem as fast stop light to stop light. I suppose if it was set right and I did a lot of higher rpm takes off it would be ok.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:10 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Mechanical secondaries offer a driver with an educated foot very reliable and Instantaneous response to all conditions race or street. The mechanism is simple and easily checked for proper operation. You can overload the engine with fuel and hurt performance if you are too heavey with your foot.
Corvette always used vacuum secondaries on their performance engines, Holleys or Q-jets. Vacuum secondaries are very forgiving as they react to engine demand. If tuned properly they will not over load the engine with fuel and will not be as sensitive to carbs that are too large for the engine. They are more complicated and it is difficult to tell if the secondaries are opening properly. Pick your poison.
Ed

Get notified of new replies

To vacuum or mechanical secondaries????

Quick Reply: vacuum or mechanical secondaries????