C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine break-in w/ceramic-coat headers??'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:09 PM
nightprowler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine break-in w/ceramic-coat headers??'s

I found this PDF off a Hooker website.

"WARNING! Breaking in an engine with ceramic coat headers WILL result in damage to the coating and will VOID the warranties. Ceramic-coat headers require several heat cycles to fully cure before they will withstand extreme heat. Hooker recommends using a cast-iron exhaust manifold or an old header to break in new engines to avoid coating damage."

I have a new engine going in my car. According to Hooker I would need to run my old exhaust until my new engine is broke in.

Will someone please explain the above paragraph.

How many miles does it generally take for the engine to properly break-in before the ceramic headers can be installed?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:23 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nightprowler
I found this PDF off a Hooker website.

"WARNING! Breaking in an engine with ceramic coat headers WILL result in damage to the coating and will VOID the warranties. Ceramic-coat headers require several heat cycles to fully cure before they will withstand extreme heat. Hooker recommends using a cast-iron exhaust manifold or an old header to break in new engines to avoid coating damage."

I have a new engine going in my car. According to Hooker I would need to run my old exhaust until my new engine is broke in.

Will someone please explain the above paragraph.

How many miles does it generally take for the engine to properly break-in before the ceramic headers can be installed?
extreme header heat is usually encountered when a new mill is broken in at medium rpms and run for several minutes and the timing is off(retarded) if they say it will void your warranty i would heed their advice to cya.....jmo
Old 11-15-2009, 03:25 PM
marz
Burning Brakes

I installed my crate motor, Ceramic Hookers, tires, wheels and fueled her up. I haven't stopped since. I don't know what they mean, but mine didn't become blemished and I broke the motor in with the Hookers. As far as the break in period. Everyone has their opinion. I run mine 500 miles and then change the oil and filter. But, others may run different break in mileage period.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I just broke in a motor with Hookers and it is no problem as long as you are running the carb rich enough and the timing is set correctly. I immediatly set the timing as soon as it fired and purposly ran the carb a little rich on the idle circuits.

As far as break in run it for 30 minutes to break in the cam then have at it. If the motor was put together right no harm will be done. I have done this on countless motors with no problem. Change the oil after the first 30 minute cam break in then again at 200 to 500 miles then normal there after.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

The break-in procedure generates a ton of heat. I put a window fan (or 2) in front of the radiator. You can also run the heater. Basically, anything that can help cooling is helpful. I agree that you don't wanna hurt those expensive headers...
Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 PM
tnovot
Racer

I think the warning is a CYOA thing in case the timing is not set properly. And yes as midyear and Jeff have already said, initial break in does generate more heat than normal use anyway so I can understand how the 2 conditions combined could expose the headers to excessive heat and cause discoloration or coating damage. Better to take precaution than to be sorry later.
Terry

Last edited by tnovot; 11-15-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine's hookers discolored during breakin - odd thing was the timing was right on the money. Cant explain it but I was over there this weekend helping him with brakes and commented, "dude you should got coated headers" he said, "Dude those ARE coated headers dont you remember?" then he showed me a picture of the motor just after install and before break in.

I agree its likely just CYA verbiage that in the case of my friends big block worked in their favor
Old 11-16-2009, 06:53 PM
nightprowler
Intermediate

Default Engine break-in w/ceramic-coat headers??'s

Thanks for the reply's!!!
I think I will take their warning seriously and install my old exhaust until the motor is properly broken in. No sense in ruining the coating.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine break-in w/ceramic-coat headers??'s

Quick Reply: Engine break-in w/ceramic-coat headers??'s