C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen6 BBC oil filter

Old 11-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Simmo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gen6 BBC oil filter

Building a Gen6 BBC. Starting with a bare block. Found standard oil filter adapter doesnt fit, apparently uses a threaded shaft to hold filter plus a press in bypass.

Have read that its worth removing bypass to allow full filtration. Is this correct. Does that mean I fit a plug for that hole. Where would I get a plug for a Gen6 block.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:21 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Simmo
Have read that its worth removing bypass to allow full filtration. Is this correct. Does that mean I fit a plug for that hole. Where would I get a plug for a Gen6 block.
The bypass is there so that the oil filter doesn't blow off on cold starts, or if for some reason the filter would plug up.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Building a Gen6 BBC. Starting with a bare block. Found standard oil filter adapter doesnt fit, apparently uses a threaded shaft to hold filter plus a press in bypass.

GM Part Number for the oil filter bypass valve is is 25161284 and you can get them at your friendly GM dealer for around $10. This is the one adjacent to the oil filter adaptor and must not be removed. The valve beneath the oil filter adaptor may (it isn't necessary to do so) be removed if you are not running an external oil cooler. This eliminates some extra bends in the circuit thru which the oil must otherwise pass. The oil filter adapter is GM Part Number 3853870 and is about $12. These can also be purchased thru Summit Racing and other places.

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 11-20-2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

GM spends a good amount of money to hire top enigneering talent. The people who designed your engine had good reasons for doing everything they did. Unless you have more engineering skills than they do I would be inclined to leave things the way they are. Just because something is posted on the Internet doesen't neccesarily mean it's a good idea.

Rick B.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:50 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

use the by pass and the adaptor is just a fitting as described..the block is machined for the filter to seal....use ac 1218 or fram hp4 or equivalent for the filter unless you need a "shorty" filter for header clearance...dont mess with the stock oil system on the gen vl....it's perfect as is .....
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 PM
ikwhite
Pro

Ben I understand what you are saying for the most part, but not absolutely clear when you say that the bypass adjacent to the oil filter must not be removed. Did you mean under any circumstances or not removed if using an oil cooler. I am not going to be using the oil cooler on my Gen V and plan to block off the two holes used for it and one of them had that bypass valve in it as I am sure you are aware, this is why I ask.

Thanks
ikwhite

Originally Posted by Ben Lurkin
GM Part Number for the oil filter bypass valve is is 25161284 and you can get them at your friendly GM dealer for around $10. This is the one adjacent to the oil filter adaptor and must not be removed. The valve beneath the oil filter adaptor may (it isn't necessary to do so) be removed if you are not running an external oil cooler. This eliminates some extra bends in the circuit thru which the oil must otherwise pass. The oil filter adapter is GM Part Number 3853870 and is about $12. These can also be purchased thru Summit Racing and other places.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
ikwhite
Pro

Okay Ben I think I found my answer in this thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...questions.html

According to that thread the bypass below the oil filter is used for the oil cooler path, and I will not need it as I am not using an oil cooler. The one adjacent is for the oil filter bypass, and would like to keep that in my situation. Which is exactly what you said.

PS. I dont know what I was thinking when I said the bypass was in one of the holes, the ones where the lines attach, and plan to block off, as it is not. It's been a while since I pulled them out in prep to have the block tanked.

Thanks
ikwhite

Get notified of new replies

To Gen6 BBC oil filter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gen6 BBC oil filter