C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 04:32 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it

The ol' Qjet is runnig OK but it needs a good tuning. I rebuilt an old Toyota carb years ago and it turned out OK. I'm very mechanically inclined but is it worth my time to do this myself or should I pay Lars (the master of the carb) to do it for me.

I know it'll turn out better if Lars does it but should I just try it myself?

[Modified by Monkeywrench, 3:57 PM 2/28/2002]
Old 02-28-2002, 05:25 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it (Monkeywrench)

Unless you have access to all the metering rods and associated stuff, I'd send it to Lars. Then instead of assuming your carb was okay, you would know it was okay.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:28 PM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

If you have mechanical ability, I would take Lars tuning paper, buy a good rebuild kit, and get to work. Lars is awesome and you can always send it to him if you get stuck.

After pulling my both my Edelbrock and my original Q-jet apart, I think that unless something is REALLY out of whack, you could get it running really well. Lars paper is very detailed. I would get confused if I was seriously having problems with all the external linkage, but it's really straightforward once you get into it.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:53 PM
Black68Vette
Pro

Default Re: Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it (Smokehouse69)

Unless you have access to all the metering rods and associated stuff, I'd send it to Lars.
Any idea what Lars charges for that?

Old 02-28-2002, 06:24 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you give Lars your engine specs, along with trans, and rear gears and type driving you do, he can 'customize' the best carb setting for you, something that would be hard for the non-professional Q-Jet mechanic to do.

Believe Lars charges in the neighborhood of $100, plus shipping, assuming your carb doesn't need a whole bunch of stuff replaced, or unusaual work performed.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:27 PM
Black68Vette
Pro

Default Re: Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it (john's '81 mouse)

Thats pretty good. Mine's an aftermarket holley, around 2-3 years old and in fine working shape, just seems to run either a)rich or b) not at all ;)

I can't seem to get the mixture lean enough to not smell like gas is pouring out the exhausts without it stalling... so its probably just jet sizes or something, but a little bit more than I can guess on myself
Old 02-28-2002, 07:24 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Re: Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it (Black68Vette)

I can't seem to get the mixture lean enough to not smell like gas is pouring out the exhausts without it stalling... so its probably just jet sizes or something, but a little bit more than I can guess on myself
Is that a true statement for most of our Q-jets that they tend to burn rich? I've found the same problem with mine, it seems to burn rich with a gas smell. I've checked the bottom of the carb where they tend to leak into the manifold and it's not leaking there. In fact I sealed it with JB weld to be sure it wasn't. Carb has been rebuilt with the same metering rods and jets. What are the proper metering rod numbers and jet numbers for a Q-jet from the factory? And what color float spring to use? (Don't bash me here guys if I'm wrong on my terms, I'm doing this from memory since I rebuilt the carb last year!) I wonder if the float level too high? That's a good question!

Robert
'70 350/350 4-speed coupe
'98 6-speed coupe
Old 02-28-2002, 07:57 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a crack at it yourself first. It's a great way to learn something new. No downside, either:

If you get through it and it runs well you're that much farther ahead.

Otherwise it's no big deal--you stood up at the plate and swung at a strike.

Looks like a plan to me. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:49 PM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it (The Dude)

The Dude said it better than I did. Take the thing apart and get your hands dirty! It's fun!

I was scared but just did my own. I figure if I screwed it up I put all the parts in a bag and send off.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:57 AM
gerry c
Racer

I would send it to Lars and let him :smash:. You can probably rebuild it yourself, however with Lars you get it rebuilt and TUNED. If you want it to run fine, do it yourself, if you want it to run GREAT send it to Lars. That is my take from reading here.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:03 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it (gerry c)

For me it's a "No Brainer" :crazy: : Just send it to Lars like I did, and spend your time on something else.....For what you get for the money, why would you want to tackle it yourself, and if you are not happy, he will make you happy. That was good enuff for me... :seeya
Old 03-01-2002, 04:11 PM
Kingt
Racer

Default Re: Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it (tnt76vette)

If Michelangelo had never picked up a paint brush he would never have painted the Sistine Chapel!

Try it yourself first is my vote!
Old 03-02-2002, 12:53 AM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Definitely try it yourself, first. What have you got to lose?
Old 03-03-2002, 04:18 PM
Steve Adkins
Drifting

Hey Monkeywrench, I am in the same boat you are in. Who is this Lars guy and how do I contact him? I have a Holly 650 that needs rebuit and I am straddled the fence. I can't decide if I want to do it myself or have a pro do it.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-03-2002, 08:23 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it (Steve Adkins)

Look at the top few threads in the C3 section. One of them is by Lars about Loaner carbs. Email him for more info.

Sean
Old 03-03-2002, 09:03 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Monkeywrench -
I always recommend that people dive in and give it a shot themselves. Here's what I would do if I were you:

First, make sure you have a copy of my Q-Jet tuning paper. Among other things, it gives you a detailed step-by-step sequence for removing & installing the air horn - the most difficult part of the process.

Then, send me your carb number and the application for your carb (what you're running it on). Based on this, I can give you a pretty good recommendation for a setup and jetting combo. I can also walk you through the process if you need some help.

Once you get it done, if you're not happy with the results, send it on out to me, and I'll check your setup and tweak it for you if it needs it.

A couple of suggestions for you if you want to do it yourself:
The NAPA (Echlin) brand carb kits are about the best quality kits you'll find for a Q-Jet. I recommend these over the other brands. For Holleys, I recommend the real Holley kits if your wallet can handle the monetary impact.

Always replace the Q-Jet float with a new NitroFill float from Echlin. Don't use the brass floats.

Pay attention to how the secondaries open with relationship to the primaries: these are often adjusted so that they open over-center. This severely hampers performance. The secondary throttle blades should open just short of vertical in their max open position.

If your carb has been commercially rebuilt at any time, or you see evidence of some funny Bubba-stuff going on, pay very close attention to details or send it out to me so I can check it for you: some of these carbs have had some really funny stuff done to them over the years - I'm still amazed at some of the things I see..!

Contact me at any time if you need any assistance - I'm always more than glad to help out.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:10 AM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it (lars)

Lars, thanks again. As always you hav given out some great information. Iiut's not that I'm scred of diving into it it's just that I have to 100 projects on the car and time for about 50 of them.

I think I will give it a shot.

BTW, it shows some real class by Lars to suggest that someone try it themselves instead of telling me right away to send it in. I mean how often does a business turn down money? Thanks Lars, you are a true gentleman.

Thanks for everyone's opinions...

[Modified by Monkeywrench, 8:41 AM 3/4/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it

Quick Reply: Rebuild it myself or have Lars do it