C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ragtop weather stripping

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:39 AM
leskinner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ragtop weather stripping

Hi Guys..
I've been working on trying to fit power windows, top frame, and new weather stripping on my 75 convertible for a couple of months now and this PITA has about got me whipped. I know I made a mistake by disassembling all of these at the same time and thereby lost any baseline. Hindsight is 20/20 isn't it? I have finally found that any adjustments need to be made in very tiny steps. Also, I am finding that the weather stripping at the bottom of the windshield post and the door weather strip and the weather strip at the bottom rear of the window opening and the door weather strip fit like 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag.
Have any of you ever had to trim the individual weather strip pieces to get the stuff to fit?
Thanks-
Larry
Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Larry,
I see in the 71 AIM there is some information dealing with the fit and sealing of the convertible top weather stripping. Have you checked your 75 AIM to see if there's any help there for you?
Regards,
Alan

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

I agree with Alan, there is a procedure in the AIM that outlines how to set the glass with a convertible top. I have a 75' AIM and can post the page if you don't have one (page 193).

Gary
Old 01-01-2010, 09:18 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Thing that pisses ME off is that nicely made top I got off ebay, does not fit the car correctly, too much material overhang on tops of side windows, and that pesky back top corner hits....about a inch too much overhand....guess I have to take a razor blade to it...and redo with stainless staples....

the weather stripping was the least of the problems on the install....

Old 01-01-2010, 05:17 PM
leskinner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
I agree with Alan, there is a procedure in the AIM that outlines how to set the glass with a convertible top. I have a 75' AIM and can post the page if you don't have one (page 193).

Gary
Thanks Gary, Alan, and mrvette. I have tried following the 75 AIM procedure several times but to no avail. I have even considered just using this car as a roadster ( no top ) but heavy Florida downpours
would cause problems and limit its use as a daily driver. I guess I just keep plugging away. Maybe I just expect this thing to seal too well ?
I have heard that even from the factory, new, they usually leaked. Is this true?
Larry
Old 01-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I found the supplied weatherstripping I purchased during my reatoration to be COMPLETLEY SUBSTANDARD but, had no choice as the original parts were completley shot.

Years ago I bought real GM weatherstripping for my 69 Z/28 Camaro, it was about double the price of the reproduction parts but well worth the $$$$ in quality and fit.

Metro, Corvette Rubber and A&M softseal don't really seem to care about product. Rubber texture and hardness don't seem to even come close to resembling what GM installed on our Vettes when they were new.

A&M "Softseal" now there is a joke to be found somewhere in that companies title
Old 01-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by leskinner
. Maybe I just expect this thing to seal too well ?
I have heard that even from the factory, new, they usually leaked. Is this true?
Larry
They did OK in keeping rain out, but wind noise was a big problem due to the basic design. The convertible top is difficult to seal up due to all the joints that have to move. I've fiddled with mine for years and finially gave up since I run with the top down most of the time anyway.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Ragtop weather stripping

Quick Reply: Ragtop weather stripping