C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragon Fire Dizzy Timing?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 PM
FlyViper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dragon Fire Dizzy Timing?

I have a dragon fire dizzy on my zz454 and was trying with some help to get it set up correctly yesterday. Basically, it sounds ok at about 30* and 1000 RPM, but anything less than 25* it starts sounding very unstable and "not good." The spec for the ZZ454 says 4* BTDC and 26* total advance at 4000 RPM...the catch being "with GM P/N XXXXX HEI distributor." Obviously I'm not using that distributor, so how different will those numbers be? Does anyone have specific dragon fire numbers or is that not how it works?

Also, I'm guessing the initial timing has to be no more than 10-12*, but I can't even get close to that (I haven't even gone below 20* b/c it starts sounding really crappy). What would cause this?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you verified if your timing marks are correct?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:51 PM
FlyViper
Racer

Would I do that by getting the motor to TDC on #1 and looking at the marks? If so, it looked correct. If that's not how to do it, then no I haven't.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:11 PM
temvette72
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are using an old balancer, the outer ring may have slipped, and the timing marks could be inaccurate.

temvette72
Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
FlyViper
Racer

It's a brand new engine, so it should be good to go unless GM put it on incorrectly...which I would hope is not the case.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyViper
Would I do that by getting the motor to TDC on #1 and looking at the marks? If so, it looked correct. If that's not how to do it, then no I haven't.
That's the correct way. You should be trying to achieve the max centrifugal timing as recommended by GM. Initial timing is whatever falls out according to how the dist. was set up.

BTW- does this unit have a vacuum advance and are you disconnecting it while doing the timing?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

I have the dragon fire unit and have no such issues. As Mike Ward suggested make sure your Vac Adv is disconnected. Also if you have a dial back timing light make sure it is set properly for initial timing and that your inductor pick up is securely connected to #1.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:43 PM
FlyViper
Racer

Yep, vacuum is disconnected/plugged. I think I'm just going to have a local guy a friend knows do it for me...apparently he is very good/knowledgeable with this stuff. Probably better anyways so I'm not just stabbing in the dark. I'm still just curious as to what is going on.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

IF ... IF the timing marks & tab are correct & nothing has slipped & it shows TDC only when piston truly at TDC ... IF ... IF all that's AOK ...

Then crappy running anything below 20* initial leads me to suspect the cent advance springs are TOO STIFF ... OR ... the cent advance mechanism is not fully articulating, partially jammed, bound up etc etc.

I understand you disconnected vac advance ... but did you also plug it closed at the carb/intake source?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:57 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyViper
I have a dragon fire dizzy on my zz454 and was trying with some help to get it set up correctly yesterday. Basically, it sounds ok at about 30* and 1000 RPM, but anything less than 25* it starts sounding very unstable and "not good." The spec for the ZZ454 says 4* BTDC and 26* total advance at 4000 RPM...the catch being "with GM P/N XXXXX HEI distributor." Obviously I'm not using that distributor, so how different will those numbers be? Does anyone have specific dragon fire numbers or is that not how it works?

Also, I'm guessing the initial timing has to be no more than 10-12*, but I can't even get close to that (I haven't even gone below 20* b/c it starts sounding really crappy). What would cause this?
that timing figure from gm has been a MISPRINT in the catalogue for many years! even so with the 454ho.......you want to shoot for 36-40 total....your initial will come in itself and weather you choose to run a vac adv or not is your call.....nice engine for the $$.....
Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,917 Likes on 1,929 Posts

The make, brand and type of ignition system is irrelevant to timing spec. Set total timing to 36 degrees and curve the distributor so you get about 18 degrees initial with the 36 total as outlined in the papers I've made available to Forum members for many years.
Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 PM
FlyViper
Racer

that timing figure from gm has been a MISPRINT in the catalogue for many years! even so with the 454ho.......you want to shoot for 36-40 total....your initial will come in itself and weather you choose to run a vac adv or not is your call.....nice engine for the $$.....
Thanks a lot GM! Well that makes me feel a bit better.

Set total timing to 36 degrees and curve the distributor so you get about 18 degrees initial with the 36 total as outlined in the papers I've made available to Forum members for many years.
Thanks Lars. Would you mind sending me that paper or pointing me to a link. I still think it would be very shaky and not right at 18*, but 18 is a heck of a lot closer to where I'm at than 4*. When I move the wife to CO next month I need to take a trip up 25 and buy you a beer...or 10. I really appreciate the help!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:42 PM
FlyViper
Racer

In case anyone sees this thread later through a search...my spark plug wires were off by 1 (doh!). We rotated them all one point and bam, worked fine. So for other new guys out there, you may think it's pointing at #1, but it might just be off a bit...at least that's one more thing to consider.

Get notified of new replies

To Dragon Fire Dizzy Timing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dragon Fire Dizzy Timing?