C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far back do you have to go for no smog stuff ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Default NY State

GOFAST,
http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/c-50.htm
I checked this site for NY State inspection and your are right, 26 years old and no emissions inspection.
Serial muffler shops, Cole (Mavis) and Midas said they follow the Federal Law that says, all parts supplied on the vehicle at the time of delivery are required to be present and can not be modified or removed. That would be things like a cat, smog pump, evaporator canister or EGR valve. This meant that they would not inspect or service the muffler system.
The shop that has been doing my state inspection follows the State Rules for inspection, but said they would not do any exhaust or engine work on the car because it has a dual exhaust.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mikep3
GOFAST,
http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/c-50.htm
I checked this site for NY State inspection and your are right, 26 years old and no emissions inspection.
Serial muffler shops, Cole (Mavis) and Midas said they follow the Federal Law that says, all parts supplied on the vehicle at the time of delivery are required to be present and can not be modified or removed. That would be things like a cat, smog pump, evaporator canister or EGR valve. This meant that they would not inspect or service the muffler system.
The shop that has been doing my state inspection follows the State Rules for inspection, but said they would not do any exhaust or engine work on the car because it has a dual exhaust.
That's the point. Emissions are not tested but a visual inspection of emissions devices is. If they are are not there then you have a very expensive problem....
Old 01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Do what I did... install a perfectly nice cosmetic unit which has been completely disabled.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Default 100% "Stock Appearing"

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Do what I did... install a perfectly nice cosmetic unit which has been completely disabled.

We do a high number of 100% stock appearing resto units for a local shop, have been for some years now and the photo above here's sums it up really well.

Not for the inspections here, as I stated above, but to get the car through the judged shows!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of one a few years back, there's not a functioning "smog" piece anywhere on the unit! This is also a "full roller" build, hyd-roller lifters and roller rockers!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Steve, that engine is a thing of beauty right along with the rest of the car!

cc
Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by CCrane72
Steve, that engine is a thing of beauty right along with the rest of the car!

cc
Thanks, cc!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

A little off topic, but since you guys like sunny CA so much, here's the latest (thanks to our wonderful Arnie)... As of 1/1/2009, universal replacement cats are no longer allowed. Shops have to install a cat specific to each vehicle. Apparantly its the same thing, but it has a some kinda tag. So, instead of a $70 replacement, we get to pay $250!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

If I have to I will be doing something similar along with cats that have nothing in them.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Retro78
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi. Motorhead. Are you doing this because you are still working on resolving the issue from last year when you got stopped? or just out of concern of being stopped again in the future?

I have cats on mine and a canister, but no air pump or EGR crap.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:27 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
The cops phoned the environment guys and they came out and they new their stuff. Pegged everything that was missing or incorrect

You may not have to pass emissions testing but may still need the stuff on the car like I do
You should have told them to go fu*k themselves untill they got a warrant to search your property. Then while they were busy getting the warrant you should have asked the cop if you were free to leave or if he wanted to be sued personally for false imprisonment.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by enkeivette
You should have told them to go fu*k themselves untill they got a warrant to search your property. Then while they were busy getting the warrant you should have asked the cop if you were free to leave or if he wanted to be sued personally for false imprisonment.
In the military we call this barracks lawyer advice. Id run this advice through an attorney before Id tell a cop to F himself. Especially since in many states just telling anyone in general cop of not to F themself is considered simple assault.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:12 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
In the military we call this barracks lawyer advice. Id run this advice through an attorney before Id tell a cop to F himself. Especially since in many states just telling anyone in general cop of not to F themself is considered simple assault.
No it's not, assualt is when the defendant intends to (or acts with knowledge to a substantial certainty) to cause fear or apprehension of unauthorized or injurious contact with the plaintiff.

Basically, the cop would have to fear that you were going to hit him. Although an intent to make actual contact is not required.

Battery is when you do make an unauthorized or injurious contact with the plaintiff.

And you can tell anyone to go fu*k themselves, it's a first amendment privilege. There is no tort for cursing at someone or stating your opinion. Remember that guy who yelled fu*k you to Dick Cheney? But I wasn't actually advocating cursing at a cop. I meant that you should assert your right not to have your property searched without a warrant, with a nice smile and an implied middle finger.

I'm a 2nd year law student btw, and I've already passed torts & crim law (type of crimes you're incorrectly defining).

Last edited by enkeivette; 01-05-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stanhalen
Is California still the worst state as far as emissions regulations go?

i would like my next Vette to be a pre-1976 to avoid smog checks but "Lee H" above says one is required with a change of ownership? is the car required to pass it or is it graded on some sort of "curve"? i can't imagine a '69 or '70 to pass a smog check...

Hmmm....back on topic, when I purchased my '74 about 7 or 8 years ago, and it changed ownership to me, I did NOT have to do any smog at all. And I'm in California. No smog when I bought it, no smogging since... And I'd be willing to bet most of us guys who love their C3's as much as we do - our cars burn cleanner then a LOT of newer cars that are being smogged. If MY C3 was pumping smoke - you can bet I'd pull the engine and rebuild it....

My car is 36 years old now....I see 10 year old cars that I'm sure pollute more than mine...

EDIT: P.S. IMHO I would never tell a cop to "F" himself....just a bad idea..LOL !!! When you go to the zoo - don't poke the bear.

Last edited by MrJlr; 01-05-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The only thing I have on my '70 is a PCV valve. Not really sure what it's "supposed" to have.

It's also emission exempt cuz I have it titled as an antique.

I also have a 91 Mustang GT and it is usually emission exempt because I drive it <5,000 miles a year with the speedometer unplugged.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Here in MO you can get Historic Plates that exempt you from ANY kind of inspection. No such thing in other states?????
Also, I installed an 02 FI LS2 engine in my 68 (no cats though). I would be willing to bet it's cleaner than any 68 original smog car. How would one handle that in NJ or CA?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by enkeivette

I'm a 2nd year law student btw, and I've already passed torts & crim law (type of crimes you're incorrectly defining).
I never went to law school, but learned very early in life that arguing with a street cop rarely worked to my benefit.

BTW- the OP is in Canada, so debating which section of the US constitution defends his rights is kinda irrelevant.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Garys 68
Here in MO you can get Historic Plates that exempt you from ANY kind of inspection. No such thing in other states?????
Also, I installed an 02 FI LS2 engine in my 68 (no cats though). I would be willing to bet it's cleaner than any 68 original smog car. How would one handle that in NJ or CA?
Good point !!! What IS the deal on getting "Historic" plates ???

Get notified of new replies

To How far back do you have to go for no smog stuff ?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

According to CA law, it is perfectly legal to put any later engine for a similar-type vehicle into an earlier year, just so long as you take all of the emissions equipment that went with that year/group that the new engine is from. All emissions equipment can also include such things as the later available rear end ratios, automatic OD-trannie only, sealed gas cap, etc.

Car then goes to a referee for varification/certification.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Paranoid
The only thing I have on my '70 is a PCV valve. Not really sure what it's "supposed" to have.
My 72 L48 had PCV, Charcoal can and a TCS solinoid that was not used on 4 speed cars. That is it. The LT1's had air pump and all associated plumbing. Get a 68 to 72 base engine 4 speed car with no engine or trans and your set. It will be worth more than the 80 when your done.

Last edited by 63mako; 01-05-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:35 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

We have historic plates too in NJ. They call it a "self inspection"- basically just make sure your car is safe to drive on the road. No emissions, but there are mileage limits (not very enforced). I once drove around a 55 chevy that had historic plates with no front clip when we were getting bodyshop estimates. No problems with the cops, just weird looks

Quick Reply: How far back do you have to go for no smog stuff ?