C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far back do you have to go for no smog stuff ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I was trying to pretend I didn't see that post.

One thing that bugs me is the cop gave me fine for non original mufflers he said they were too loud. I told him GM doesn't even make the original mufflers for the car any more, didn't bother him.

It was night and they are painted black they could very well have been original mufflers he didn't have clue. I asked him if there was a decibel level the car had to meet and he said no, it was basically up to him to decide if the car was too loud

A judge could really have a field day with that in court. Especially if you could have 4 other cops with 4 more opinions.

Would any gov be dumb enough to write a law for that with no specs
Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to get into it over what the specs where. I think he just might be saying that if C02 level was X amount in the states ( I don't even know if that is one of the things they measure but anyway) ours might have been higher until 1990. Doesn't California have separate smog specs. I know a whole bunch of stuff I have around my house is illegal or can cause death there

I still haven't got a definitive answer as to whether my Canadian 1980 L48 came with a smog pump or whatever those ugly looking things are in the front.

Do I just try and decode the door sticker or emissions sticker, which is probably long gone, I have a hard time seeing the computer screen ?
It depends on what state it was originally sold in for my year at least. My buddy had a 78 from Nevada, no smog pump. But my 78 did come with one.

Last edited by enkeivette; 01-15-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by noonie
A judge could really have a field day with that in court. Especially if you could have 4 other cops with 4 more opinions.

Would any gov be dumb enough to write a law for that with no specs
No true. I believe it is 118. A prime example of someone getting it up the *** when they could have fought and won.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

The fine was for non original mufflers, not for excessive noise. That is how he got around that, they are not stupid, they know the original muffler / exhaust system doesn't sound sound an jet taking off.

However I do believe there is an excessive noise bylaw that you can be charged with but it doesn't have to be a car either, it can be anything, a chainsaw, whatever, and it has to be annoying enough to be reported by a neighbor or someone else.

So the cop says it's too loud and writes me a ticket for not having the original mufflers.
You can argue and fight this stuff all you want. Depends how much you make a day and if you work for yourself or not. I deal with it as part of running around with 600+HP Corvette. One fine is 15 years no big deal
Old 01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,156 Likes on 485 Posts

I was trying to pretend I didn't see that post.

One thing that bugs me is the cop gave me fine for non original mufflers he said they were too loud. I told him GM doesn't even make the original mufflers for the car any more, didn't bother him.

It was night and they are painted black they could very well have been original mufflers he didn't have clue. I asked him if there was a decibel level the car had to meet and he said no, it was basically up to him to decide if the car was too loud

Regardless of what others have posted, based on the municipality, this may well be. One only has to look at the local Municipal Code to determine if this is the case.

For Example, in the City of Brentwood regarding noise disturbance:

"The code enforcement officer or her/his duly authorized representative can monitor and enforce as appropriate the provisions of this chapter. No person shall interfere with, oppose or resist any authorized person charged with the enforcement of the chapter while such person is engaged in the performance of her/his duty. Violators may be punished pursuant to Chapter 1.08 of the city of Brentwood’s Municipal Code. (Ord. 696 § 2 (part), 2002)"

Lots of Codes include a prima facie clause.

From Wikipedia:
Prima facie (pronounced /ˈpraɪmə ˈfeɪʃiː/, from Latin prīmā faciē) is a Latin expression meaning on its first appearance, or by first instance; at first sight. The literal translation would be "at first face", prima first, facie face, both in the ablative case. It is used in modern legal English to signify that on first examination, a matter appears to be self-evident from the facts. In common law jurisdictions, prima facie denotes evidence which — unless rebutted — would be sufficient to prove a particular proposition or fact.

Last edited by toddalin; 01-15-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:12 PM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

BTW, in the great state of NJ, they don't care about no stinkin' clean air act and want to stick a hose up my tailpipe every two years regardless of the year of my car before they will let me have an inspection sticker.[/QUOTE]

GOOD NEWS! That's actually changed in NJ now. They don't check the exhaust anymore - not even the horn! Evidently, they were failing too many cars and they relaxed things alot!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:03 PM
John A F
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

From Hagerty insurance company's web site is an artical of emission laws WWW.hagerty.com/emissions Download the PDF file for a breakdown on emissions in the 50 states and Canada.

Quick Reply: How far back do you have to go for no smog stuff ?