C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch sensitive horn?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 AM
C3smallblock
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Touch sensitive horn?

When I adjust the telescopting on my steering wheel (76 Vette) while driving, the horn is so sensitive that the cars vibration makes the horn start nutting off until I clamp up the ring again. I know that I could just wait till the car was parked and it would not be a problem, but I was showing off the telescoping (someone on the forum just informed me that I had this incredible feature) to my wife.

Is this how sensitive all horns are, or does mine need adjusting/repairing/replacing?

Kev
Old 01-06-2010, 03:25 AM
VetteHalen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope, not mine. in fact, it is so not sensitive (insensitive?) that I could be pounding on the horn like a madman and it won't sound. not even a squeak.

(guess i should get it fixed, huh?)
Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 AM
C3smallblock
Racer

Originally Posted by stanhalen
nope, not mine. in fact, it is so not sensitive (insensitive?) that I could be pounding on the horn like a madman and it won't sound. not even a squeak.

(guess i should get it fixed, huh?)
Yep, I think that could be a good idea

Kev
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 AM
tgcattle
Racer

you probably need another shim behind horn contact
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by tgcattle
you probably need another shim behind horn contact
Bingo.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The 1976 AIM shows a 1/8 inch gap between the underside of the horn cap #9 and the locking lever (9A) . That gap is controlled by the number of shims #6 between posts in the steering wheel hub and the upper contact assembly #7.

When you rotate the locking lever to unlock the telescope feature, you unscrew the star screw (called out as screw (9A)) which raises the locking lever a small amount. This must be cutting down on the clearance between the underside of the horn cap and the lever itself.

You need to install one or two additional shims to space the upper horn contact and the horn cap away from the locking lever. Shims are available through most major Corvette suppliers (i.e. Wilcox, Zip, Corvette Central, etc)

Jim
Old 01-06-2010, 01:51 PM
C3smallblock
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
The 1976 AIM shows a 1/8 inch gap between the underside of the horn cap #9 and the locking lever (9A) . That gap is controlled by the number of shims #6 between posts in the steering wheel hub and the upper contact assembly #7.
When you rotate the locking lever to unlock the telescope feature, you unscrew the star screw (called out as screw (9A)) which raises the locking lever a small amount. This must be cutting down on the clearance between the underside of the horn cap and the lever itself.

You need to install one or two additional shims to space the upper horn contact and the horn cap away from the locking lever. Shims are available through most major Corvette suppliers (i.e. Wilcox, Zip, Corvette Central, etc)

Jim
Thanks heaps for the info, I will get a couple of shims in my next batch of parts.

Kev
Old 01-09-2010, 03:37 PM
tgcattle
Racer

I just used 1 flat washer per screw on horn contact, make sure the washer doesn't touch the metal horn contact
Old 01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
psycho dad
Racer

I have trouble blowing my horn, I have to keep pressing all around the button till I find the "Sweet spot". Is this also a shim problem?

Get notified of new replies

To Touch sensitive horn?

Quick Reply: Touch sensitive horn?