C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Steve86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn problem

Ok, here's where I'm at. Horn quit working on the 73 a couple of weeks ago. Horn would sound when I jumped it off the battery. When I pushed the horn button on the steering wheel, the relay would click and I got nothing. Ordered and installed another relay, same symptoms, relay clicks but no horm. Pulled off horn button and cleaned contacts, everything looks good - nothing broken...took off horn and cleaned up mounting surface to ensure good ground. Same symptoms, click..click...click. Any ideas or suggestions before I start tearing into the wiring? Any way to check to see if the relay is good? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Steve86/73
Old 03-04-2002, 11:05 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Horn problem (Steve86)

There should be 3 wires on the horn relay.
One should be hot all the time. (orange if I remember right).
One should be the ground coming from the horn button.(black?)
One should be hot only when the horn is pushed (dark green?)

It sound like the horn contact are fine that the relay clicks when you push the horn. If the dark green wire? is hot at the relay when you push the horn button then there has to be a broken wire between the relay and the horn.

Quick Reply: Horn problem