C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Difficult is it to remove Heater-core with A/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 01:42 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Difficult is it to remove Heater-core with A/C

I can smell a sweet anti-freeze smell and my windows fog-up. I have replaced the heater hoses and that was a bear of a job on a 454 with A/C. How difficult is it to replace the heater core
Old 03-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: How Difficult is it to remove Heater-core with A/C (73-454)

All weekend.
:)
Old 03-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just did it on my '69. Depending on experience, it's not to bad. It involves removing the center and right side of the dash and all the duct work. The good part is you can check and repair/lube/adjust everything in there. It took me a day, taking my time. Now I have heat and great airflow out the vents. Sealing the ducts was probably the best thing I did. Buy a quality core, or you'll be back in there sooner rather than later...

Hans
Old 03-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: How Difficult is it to remove Heater-core with A/C (Wrencher)

Mine is a small block, but let me tell you what, you will need to take a lot of stuff apart. the dash, center console and passenger side seat should be removed so you have somewhere to work. It will take awhile, and test your patience, but it can be done. HAVE YOUR NEW HEATER CORE CHECKED FOR LEAKS AT A RADIATOR SHOP!!! Just because they are new doesn't mean they don't leak. I learned that the hard way on more than one occasion. You should also budget in a heater box and duct rebuild kit. It has all of the seals to reseal you heater box and ducts. Once you get it apart you'll see that a good cleanup and reseal are in order. You can do it, just take your time. Once you're done you'll be surprised at the difference in airflow and how well the heater and A/C systems work when they are getting proper airflow. Good luck. Post any questions along the way. :seeya
Old 03-11-2002, 03:44 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: How Difficult is it to remove Heater-core with A/C (Dalannex)

All of the above is GREAT Advice...Especailly re-sealing the Duct work.....It is Quite a job to say the LEAST...I would figure around 8 hours of work to do it correct :eek:

[Modified by Alwyn678, 2:45 PM 3/11/2002]
Old 03-11-2002, 05:07 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How Difficult is it to remove Heater-core with A/C (Alwyn678)

Thanks, I will give it a try this summer, it's not that I need the heater. I just like everthing working on the vette.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:09 PM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Kinda like giving yourself rectal surgery using one of those dinky little mirrors that dentist's use :lol: :lol: :lol: --I did mine last spring--got my core and gasket kit from Dr. Rebuild :rolleyes: (I know) but diagrams were more than helpful. Make sure to have new heater core pressure tested before installation. It is necessary to remove center cluster and right dash panel--positive side--replace all guage bulbs and good opportunity to do any radio work. Not as bad as I had anticipated--take a weekend and go slow--you will feel quite a sense of accomplishment when complete--did I say take a weekend and go slow-- good luck

SEMPER FI--1970 Dave

[Modified by 1970 Dave, 4:43 PM 3/11/2002]
Old 03-11-2002, 06:49 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One more thing. Disconnect the Battery! See my earlier thread on the shorted, EXPENSIVE amp gauge.

Hans
Old 03-11-2002, 10:12 PM
John's Shark
Racer

Default Re: How Difficult is it to remove Heater-core with A/C (Wrencher)

Juliet had a good article with pictures on this on her web site when she did her 70. You might want to check it out. Two things I learned: Be sure you take the hoses completely off underneath the car. If you cut them off and leave a stub, you will not be able to pull the core out from the inside. Also, the heater box is attached to firewall with 4 bolts. 3 are taken off from the inside. the 4th (upper right if I recall correctly) is taken off from engine bay side. Took me forever to find the darn thing. On my 71 small block, it was the same bolt holding a hose/wire bracket to the firewall.

John
Old 03-11-2002, 10:37 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How Difficult is it to remove Heater-core with A/C (John's Shark)

John

Thank-you for the tips, I will look-up Juliet wed site

Get notified of new replies

To How Difficult is it to remove Heater-core with A/C

Quick Reply: How Difficult is it to remove Heater-core with A/C