C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bee Jay's cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:01 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Default Bee Jay's cold air intake

I don't have any AC or heater, but I have a hole in my firewall. So, first I bought this at the Pomona swap meet:

It came with a stainless steel cone filter. No oiling needed, just rinse and air hose.

Then I ordered this cone air filter can from Summit:

I made the hole larger in my AC delete plate, and slid the can inside. It's ugly, but snug.

Then I mounted it all using 4" automotive duct hose from NAPA. I'm still working my serpentine conversion, so I will have to wait a few days before testing. But I should have cold air from the high pressure base of the windshield.

What do you think?
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 12-20-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:18 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

interesting concept. I like peoples custom ideas. Good luck with the serp stuff, looking forward to hearing how it all works out.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 AM
73BLWN
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I like it, not to mention that you are one step closer to installing a blow through supercharger!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 AM
c31980
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good mods .. but try to reroute it to the front on the engine
in fact this thing will only suck hot air in that location
(( driving forward hot ait goes backwards thats why corveete have hot air in the cabin))

Last edited by c31980; 03-17-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
I don't have any AC or heater, but I have a hole in my firewall. So, first I bought this at the Pomona swap meet:

What do you think?
Bee Jay
I think that hat is too small.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 73BLWN
I like it, not to mention that you are one step closer to installing a blow through supercharger!
Ha, that's exactly what I was thinking. With no AC compressor, I could mount a Paxton on the right head, draw air thru this can, and blow thru this Spectre hat. A Mustang blew by me the other day, the blower whine was really wailing. I had to catch up with him and ask about his car and confirm what I was hearing. Underhood blowers are so sneaky.
Bee Jay
Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FB007
I think that hat is too small.
Why do you think that? The inlet is 4" and is the smallest part. The air filter inlet is 4" also. Spectre makes a low rise hat, but I went with this one because I have plenty of room under the hood. 700HP ZR1's don't have 4" throttle bodies. I could put a 1/2" spacer under the hat, I have another 3/4" room under the hood.
Bee Jay
Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you think?
Bee Jay
Unique & clever adaption of the space where the A/C goes. You'll have to see how well it works.
A min. length of the flexible duct or smooth is best.

A/C & cowl induction.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:59 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Hey BeeJay.... very interesting.... never would have thought that.... I am also making a custom CIA, and after finishing it I am making a mold so as to sale some to try and recoup some of the $$$$ i have spent on it... mine goes around a stock 3" air filter and ducts to the front like the stock CIA does...do you have a stock radiator?... if so I need a C3 with a stock radiator so as I can see mine work with it as well as the aftermarket radiator I have.

But again... I like your idea....
Another thing to keep in mind is that steel holds heat very well... thus the bonnet you have over the carb will get hot and thus warm your air... that is why K&N does not use steel, but some type of glass or?? and that is why I went glass also...

on another note, we are having a run this sunday, about 40 vetts...we are meeting up with the San Diego group, here is the string, would love not to be the only C3, and I really want to see your C3 in person!!!you are invited: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...of-orange.html

Last edited by pauldana; 09-30-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pauldana
Hey BeeJay.... very interesting.... never would have thought that.... I am also making a custom CIA, and after finishing it I am making a mold so as to sale some to try and recoup some of the $$$$ i have spent on it... mine goes around a stock 3" air filter and ducts to the front like the stock CIA does...do you have a stock radiator?... if so I need a C3 with a stock radiator so as I can see mine work with it as well as the aftermarket radiator I have.

But again... I like your idea....
Another thing to keep in mind is that steel holds heat very well... thus the bonnet you have over the carb will get hot and thus warm your air... that is why K&N does not use steel, but some type of glass or?? and that is why I went glass also...

on another note, we are having a run this sunday, about 40 vetts...we are meeting up with the San Diego group, here is the string, would love not to be the only C3, and I really want to see your C3 in person!!!you are invited: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...of-orange.html
I'll be working on finishing this serpentine conversion. But I have a Sister in Law at Edwards. Maybe the next time we go up, I'll bring the Vette. It would have to be soon cause I don't have AC anymore. You could bring your Vette out here to Santa Barbara County. There is a place in Pismo Beach where all the local Hot Rods and Exotics meet for coffee and donuts every Saturday morning. It's over by 9am when Ross opens becuase they need the parking lot back. Come by the house and check out all three sports cars.

Bee Jay
Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks good.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM
RogieStone
Instructor

I also have this spectra air inlet. and a serp set up. I went with a aftermarket A/c so I had room to run the duct and filter to the out side of the frame to draw cold air. I did have to trim the housing a little[IMG][/IMG] to get proper clearance on the hood because of a rpm air gap intake
Old 03-17-2010, 08:47 PM
RogieStone
Instructor

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-18-2010, 01:17 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
I'll be working on finishing this serpentine conversion. But I have a Sister in Law at Edwards. Maybe the next time we go up, I'll bring the Vette. It would have to be soon cause I don't have AC anymore. You could bring your Vette out here to Santa Barbara County. There is a place in Pismo Beach where all the local Hot Rods and Exotics meet for coffee and donuts every Saturday morning. It's over by 9am when Ross opens becuase they need the parking lot back. Come by the house and check out all three sports cars.

Bee Jay
ok... first of all ....3?... tell me......

Second... Off all next week... Wife and I teach high school...I do want to see your vett....another bad a$$ 79!!!!! I'll send you a PM

Last edited by pauldana; 03-18-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

I drove the car to work today. I didn't notice any intake noise, but it would be hard to hear over the Flowmasters. The CS130 Alternator works great.
Bee Jay
Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool.

I've got my serp setup all bolted up now (car not running yet) and my AC Delete panel just went on a couple weekends back. I'll be futzing around with air cleaners in the near future as well, thanks for the ideas.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

I guess I never updated this thread. The cold air from the base of the windsheild works great. My fuel injection system allows for monitoring and my air intake temps are always low. So low, my morning drives develop cold sweat on the fuel injection body. It's not nearly as noisy as I expected. A very successful mod. Now I need to hang a supercharger where that AC compressor was.
Bee Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Bee Jay's cold air intake

Quick Reply: Bee Jay's cold air intake