C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Door Locks on 1981

Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 PM
ALNDD
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Door Locks on 1981

Does anybody have a clear diagram of the power door lock setup, mine aren't working and I want to disassemble, but don't know where to go after getting the door panel off.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:16 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is a good schematic
Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 PM
ALNDD
Cruising

WOW, that's great. How about something showing the mechanical side?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Closest thing I have
Old 03-27-2010, 12:23 AM
ALNDD
Cruising

Is there an additional panel on the inside of the door that comes off to facilitate getting to the parts, or do you have to work through the holes that are available? This looks pretty tough to work on if something additional did not come off the doors. I have read the other posts about disassembling and lubing things to facilitate parts working better, just seems hard to get to the parts, any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:49 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ALNDD
Is there an additional panel on the inside of the door that comes off to facilitate getting to the parts, or do you have to work through the holes that are available? This looks pretty tough to work on if something additional did not come off the doors. I have read the other posts about disassembling and lubing things to facilitate parts working better, just seems hard to get to the parts, any suggestions?
There is a door at the bottom. Once you have the panel off you will notice everything is accessible one way or the other.

Whats wrong with your locks? Remember the power lock system works in series if one switch is bad neither power lock will work.

Jim
Old 03-27-2010, 10:36 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

its 90% a bad switch.... replace the switches before you get in to deep
Old 04-05-2010, 05:02 PM
SteveKoz
Cruising

Hi. I'm starting down this same path.. My doors will lock but will not unlock from either side. I'm almost sure it's a switch BUT is there a way to jump the locks and ensure they work? I was in there a while ago but with my season starting up I'm back into looking. I think the motor has 2 wires to it. Is one for open and one for close? Would jumping power to wires off the motor directly actuate the locks?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM
78pace
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

check the pigtails to the switches also. Mine where shot. replaced switches and plugs and life is good
Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
78pace
Burning Brakes

As for jumping the actuator yes there is a way to do that.I did, but forget how now. I know I had 2 wires with aligator clips. Check Willcoxs' site thats where I got the info on how to do it.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both switches have to be functional and present for the system to work.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:34 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anybody have a clear diagram of the power door lock setup, mine aren't working and I want to disassemble, but don't know where to go after getting the door panel off.
when I got my 81, neither door would lock with the buttons, but I could hear them trying, so I removed the door panels and used some spray lube in various places, including the lock...they have worked like a champ ever since.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Also clean all the contacts real well and lube with dialectric grease. This took care of my problems with the door locks.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The switches and the pigtail on them are a POS to start with, but you may be able to clean them up with contact cleaner and get them to work. Jumping the swotches is a little tricky, it takes 2 jumper to get it to do anything from the drivers side, same from the pass side and that requires the other switch to be plugged in and working
Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
82Vette'ster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ended up using a hole cutter to make a nice access hole at the linkage connections on my 82. It made getting to the clips much easier. I made a cover for the hole then. I didn’t like fighting to get my hands in there to get to the clips, and nobody can see it.

My problem was the lock motor. But I did check the switches and wiring.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 AM
SteveKoz
Cruising

Thanks for the Wilcox tip. I didn't find anything for testing door locks but there is a lot of other info to read about.

Where did you buy your switches? Did you get the ones with "Lock" on them or generic ones?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

ALNDD: The assembly instruction manual and chassis service manual would help you a lot. Purchase both.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Door Locks on 1981

Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM
ALNDD
Cruising

Any ideas where the best place to pick up the manuals?
Old 04-08-2010, 06:49 AM
78pace
Burning Brakes

sorry it was covette magazine that has the article/
do a search for corvette door locks it will come up. I bought the ones without lock from ecklers
Old 04-10-2010, 03:11 PM
SteveKoz
Cruising

I had a chance to open up both panels. I had replaced both wire harnesses a few years ago and everything WAS working back then. Now the drivers side LOCK function is the only function that works. UNLOCK doesn't do anything.. Pass side does nothing. I was going to just order a new switch for Pass side BUT still kicking this to understand before doing so.
What's got me confused is that I swapped switches between Drivers side and Pass side. I would have expected is that the pass side LOCK would be the only thing working. What I got was the same.. Driver side LOCK only works. Everything else is nada. Why would it LOCK only on drivers side and NADA on Pass side. Thoughts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Door Locks on 1981