C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Valve Springs

Anybody tried the Elgin Z28 valve springs? And can I use the stock retainers that are on the Vette right now with the springs? They say that they are good for a .550" lift, but I'm not going that far. I'm thinking about going with a cam in the .465"/.488" lift range. What do you guys think?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 AM
jordan89
Safety Car

ttt
Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

OK... Knowing I may regret this

not knowing your exact cam, and what exactly you are looking for.... but with that lift and even up to .55 aprox, I would suggest and recommend the Beehives from comp cam....

Read this, a friend posted it once..
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...er_spring.aspx

Now others will chime in with differing opinions, but I can attest to over a 50hp gain when I went to them....
Old 03-29-2010, 01:47 AM
jordan89
Safety Car

That's some good info on valve springs. I'm going to have to look into a pair of beehive springs.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Ex-aerospace engineer David Vizard Well he has a couple of loose screws. He is not even smart enough to proof read what he puts in print.

weight of last valve should say titanium not steel

and then at the end the valve spring has Open Lbs. 4308 @ 1.2"

I've read his book and he comes up with bogus answers.

Last edited by gkull; 03-29-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Golden
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have had issues with some of Vizard's views in the past. Some of what he has written, especially 30 years ago is suspect now that we all have more knowledge available. Don't use the Z28 springs. 2 options for you.
1. Use the exact spring the manufacturer specs for your cam at the correct installed height.
2. Go with beehive springs that are the correct replacement for the springs your cam manufacturer recommends for your cam.
As you can see there are advantages to Beehives. I think street lift hydraulic cams will benefit the most due to weight reduction and being able to reduce sping pressure on the lifer internals and lobe kifter interface and still control the valvetrain. GM thought so also. They use Beehives on the LS7 and it is not because they are cheaper to manufacture. If they are spending the $ on titanium rods they are not cutting corners on valve springs. GM has used beehives on all their LS engines since 1997. Research, do your homework, make an educated decision.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:34 AM
jordan89
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 63mako
I have had issues with some of Vizard's views in the past. Some of what he has written, especially 30 years ago is suspect now that we all have more knowledge available. Don't use the Z28 springs. 2 options for you.
1. Use the exact spring the manufacturer specs for your cam at the correct installed height.
2. Go with beehive springs that are the correct replacement for the springs your cam manufacturer recommends for your cam.
As you can see there are advantages to Beehives. I think street lift hydraulic cams will benefit the most due to weight reduction and being able to reduce sping pressure on the lifer internals and lobe kifter interface and still control the valvetrain. GM thought so also. They use Beehives on the LS7 and it is not because they are cheaper to manufacture. If they are spending the $ on titanium rods they are not cutting corners on valve springs. GM has used beehives on all their LS engines since 1997. Research, do your homework, make an educated decision.
Good point. I'm going to look into a set of beehive springs.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

reading...
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ade/index.html
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ve_spring.html
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2007/08/SpringTime/
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...d-springs.html
Old 03-29-2010, 12:44 PM
69vettester
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Vizard as a guide when Figuring Quench in as an important factor. I Learned alot from a few of his articles.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Golden
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Dave Vizard is a very knowledgeable guy, I have some of his books and would agree that some of the content is a bit dated but at the time of writing was some of the best reference material available.

Where I would cast a doubt, is on any 'expert' that writes for a major magazine.

Ask yourself the last time you read a tuning magazine article where the author describe a product from a major advertiser as 'not worth the money' or 'offers little over existing products', the just don't.

'Experts' make their money from magazines, magazines make their money from advertisers, advertisers make their money from you and me. Why would anybody bite the hand that feeds them.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Springs

Quick Reply: Valve Springs