C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rust and grease remover

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 01:36 PM
MYblu69
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default rust and grease remover

Since I took the seats out of the 69 to get to the console, of course the seat tracks have rust on them and the grease has turned into candle wax. So I thought it would be good to remove the rust and grease, prime them, paint them and regrease the bearings. Any suggestions on a product that could do both at the same time>? Maybe tank them or just brush something on? Tks!!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:02 PM
grumpy10956
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi , i would like to know also,

grumpy

Originally Posted by MYblu69
Since I took the seats out of the 69 to get to the console, of course the seat tracks have rust on them and the grease has turned into candle wax. So I thought it would be good to remove the rust and grease, prime them, paint them and regrease the bearings. Any suggestions on a product that could do both at the same time>? Maybe tank them or just brush something on? Tks!!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I doubt you'll find a product that does both. There are plenty of grease cleaners out there such as that purple stuff which I use. For rust, I've had excellent results with a product called Ospho which you can pick up at a body shop supply store. Just follow the directions and then prime, paint, and grease.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:58 PM
MYblu69
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default rust and grease remover

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
I doubt you'll find a product that does both. There are plenty of grease cleaners out there such as that purple stuff which I use. For rust, I've had excellent results with a product called Ospho which you can pick up at a body shop supply store. Just follow the directions and then prime, paint, and grease.
Looking on the Net and I see a product called Kleen Strip Prep and Edge. It has a 5 star rating and sounds good. I will buy it, try it and post how well it works
Old 07-26-2015, 06:17 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The waxy old grease needs something a bit stronger than the degreasers like the purple stuff. I soaked a lot of my door and window items in paint thinner (covered with a lid). Let them sit for days and then took a wire brush to them.

Oddly the Evaporust does a great job of cleaning up metal. If the grease is over rusty metal, the Evaporust does a great job of loosening the rust and the grease with it. I put many rusty, greasy parts in a tub and they came out like new. I am a believer in it.

Last edited by ctuinstra; 07-26-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:46 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ctuinstra
The waxy old grease needs something a bit stronger than the degreasers like the purple stuff. I soaked a lot of my door and window items in paint thinner (covered with a lid). Let them sit for days and then took a wire brush to them.

Oddly the Evaporust does a great job of cleaning up metal. If the grease is over rusty metal, the Evaporust does a great job of loosening the rust and the great with it. I put many rusty, greasy parts in a tub and they came out like new. I am a believer in it.
Thanks for your post - I have seen that stuff on TV and wondered - "does that really work?" Where did you buy it?
Old 07-26-2015, 07:16 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpls Funk
Thanks for your post - I have seen that stuff on TV and wondered - "does that really work?" Where did you buy it?
I bought it a O'Reilly automotive (local automotive parts). Around $23 gallon. I'm still on my first gallon after doing the entire front suspension and steering. It's about done now though. You can also get it from some of the major automotive parts warehouses such as Jegs while you are picking up a few other things to save on shipping.

Don't get in a hurry with it. Drop the parts in and forget about them for a day or so. It won't do anything to wipe on and wipe off.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ctuinstra
I bought it a O'Reilly automotive (local automotive parts). Around $23 gallon. I'm still on my first gallon after doing the entire front suspension and steering. It's about done now though. You can also get it from some of the major automotive parts warehouses such as Jegs while you are picking up a few other things to save on shipping.

Don't get in a hurry with it. Drop the parts in and forget about them for a day or so. It won't do anything to wipe on and wipe off.
Thanks for the info and tip!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:29 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

years ago i used Mar hyde rust converter (rattle can) on a fender and it ate the rust and coated the the bare metal in a primer, holy hell was it toxic, and probably has changed since then.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:28 PM
CWyler
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will second the evapo-rust recommendation, that stuff is crazy effective. Plus its not as harsh (non-toxic even) as some of the older products/chem dips on the market.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's what i use:
A degreaser i bought from a local auto paint store in Woodbury NJ (Till Paint). The degreaser was off-the-shelf and works pretty well. I haven't tried it on items such as seat or window tracks yet, but I suspect they will take more elbo grease.

The rust product I use is concrete etch. Why? Because the primary ingredient in rust removal/converter products is phosphoric acid. The primary ingredient in concrete etch is phosphoric acid. I pour it from the 1 gallon plastic bottle into a clearly labeled spray bottle. It converts all surface rust to black, the item looks a heck of a lot cleaner. The phosphoric acid is also the active ingredient in the POR-15 "metal prep" product.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:28 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I start my initial nasty parts, cleanup with my power washer,
add some degreaser /cleaner. you will get wet ! ... but it works very well.

Get notified of new replies

To rust and grease remover

Quick Reply: rust and grease remover