C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller Rockers or Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 02:49 PM
Steve Adkins
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roller Rockers or Stock?

Which one should I go with? I am building a 350/350 69 vert. I heard the roller rockers were kinda noisy. Any suggestions/experiences?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-14-2002, 05:05 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Roller Rockers or Stock? (Steve Adkins)

Saw this thread earlier and no one has answered so I thought I would give you my 2c. Unless you have a high revving motor with a high lift cam, then I would say rollers are a waste of money. I just got a pair of Sportsman II heads done and they ended up costing me a fortune. I ahve a Comp Cams 270H cam with 1.6 : 1 rickers giving me a lift of .500. I asked about roller rockers and the engine builder said they were not needed in this application. Believe me he would have put them on if they would have increased performance.

That being said I don't think they can do any harm as I have heard the motor can run cooler and you might get a few horses out of it. :D
Old 03-14-2002, 05:53 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I agree with Motorhead. I don't know that the benefits outweigh the increased cost over steel. They look cool though. Assuming you drive around with your valve covers off. :D
Old 03-14-2002, 06:15 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion any thing more than the Competion Cams 1.52 Roller tipped rocker is overkill on the street.For those who have not actually had them in their hands,they are a really nice little rocker.Not only do you get exact ratio they are pretty strong no flexing.

I have seen them wear out the roller tips running 350lbs with of open spring pressure and.630 lift with them.Took a few years of hard lake racing to to it though.That is the acid test that is difficult for street cars to duplicate!
Old 03-14-2002, 06:57 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

if you are running heavy valve springs i would run full roller rockers if for no other reason they will lower the oil temp 15/20 degrees and if you are having water temp problems the rollers will help there. :chevy
Old 03-14-2002, 11:30 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Roller Rockers or Stock? (joeveto)

I don't know that the benefits outweigh the increased cost over steel. They look cool though. Assuming you drive around with your valve covers off. :D
That's funny you should mention that because I saw a pair of valve covers that
had a big rectangle slot cut out on top with clear plexiglass or similar rivited over the opening so the guy could show off his rollers ( rockers ) :D
Old 03-15-2002, 02:50 AM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: Roller Rockers or Stock? (MotorHead)

I just installed a set of 1.6 roller-tip rockers in my (mostly) stock '73. Couldn't be more pleased with them. I don't have a cam so I figured a little extra lift couldn't hurt.

Definitely improved how fast the car revs up, and lowered my idle temps by about 20 deg.

I haven't heard any reason not to go to 1.6 if they'll fit in your stock heads.
Old 03-15-2002, 06:14 AM
Steve Adkins
Drifting

Default Re: Roller Rockers or Stock? (Corellian Corvette)

I guess from the feed back I am getting I can't go wrong either way I go. So basically it's a matter of if I want to spend the extra money on them or not. Decision's Decisions. What's a person to do!!! :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Roller Rockers or Stock?

Quick Reply: Roller Rockers or Stock?