C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Knocking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 10:04 PM
Tyler T
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Knocking Noise

I have a 1975 Small Block 350 V8 Corvette. I bought it about 2 months ago. It had extremely loud side pipes on it, so I don't know if the noise was there previously. I had the side pipes removed and a new exhaust built for it.

The noise doesn't start until 10 to 15 minutes after it is started. I can't tell if it speeds up with acceleration. I am hoping it is an exaust sound or other issue, but am worried it is an engine knock.

I have done the following based on threads in this forum, and elsewhere:
Replaced Mechanical Fuel Pump
Replaced Fan Clutch (it needed it)
Changed oil and filter looking for signs of metal (one seen)
Changed Fuel Pump
Checked Flex Plate (no noticeable cracks)

I used a Mechanic Stethoscope to try and pinpoint the noise, but it seems to be everywhere.

I have uploaded a video to YouTube of the sound. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. My next step is to have the engine rebuilt, but would rather not spend a few thousand on something I just bought.

Video: https://youtu.be/fk839zs_V0g?feature=shared
Old 11-06-2023, 10:44 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,351 Posts

I can definitely hear the low knock. Before the video I was pretty sure you were hearing lifter noise (constant) or over-advanced timing (on acceleration) but both are much higher pitched than what you have.

Given you mentioned a flex plate, I assume you have an automatic trans? If so, hold the brakes, put it in drive, and rev against the brakes. If it's crankshaft-related (bearings), the sound should become louder. More difficult with a manual trans, but you can lug it up an incline to get the same effect.

Could also be a loose exhaust pipe hitting the frame...

Last edited by 67:72; 11-06-2023 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:19 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Loose TQ Convertor bolts can cause a knock
Old 11-07-2023, 04:35 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,684 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Problem is. Lot's of things can cause a knock. And listening to a video is no replacement to being there.
Sorry. No help.
Take it to a trusted mechanic who has good ears and have him listen. (In person).
Old 11-07-2023, 09:06 AM
n2h2o2
Pro

Received 339 Likes on 234 Posts

I agree with the others, and it could be anything, but I am confident it is not lifters and am leaning more toward a rod knock...
The following users liked this post:
Tyler T (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 09:54 AM
Tyler T
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
Problem is. Lot's of things can cause a knock. And listening to a video is no replacement to being there.
Sorry. No help.
Take it to a trusted mechanic who has good ears and have him listen. (In person).
it is surprisingly hard to find a mechanic that works on anything without a computer, that is competent. And if they are able to work on it, like a classic car or hot rod shop, they are booked out months.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:55 AM
Tyler T
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gjohnson
Loose TQ Convertor bolts can cause a knock
I am going to take a look at those today.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:56 AM
Tyler T
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 67:72
I can definitely hear the low knock. Before the video I was pretty sure you were hearing lifter noise (constant) or over-advanced timing (on acceleration) but both are much higher pitched than what you have.

Given you mentioned a flex plate, I assume you have an automatic trans? If so, hold the brakes, put it in drive, and rev against the brakes. If it's crankshaft-related (bearings), the sound should become louder. More difficult with a manual trans, but you can lug it up an incline to get the same effect.

Could also be a loose exhaust pipe hitting the frame...
It is an automatic, so I will test this today. Depending on the outcome I may replace all of the bearings this weekend, depending on the state of the crank shaft.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:42 AM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler T
I am going to take a look at those today.
Eliminate that as the cause. Maybe you'll get lucky and thats it
Old 11-07-2023, 11:41 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Any idea how many miles are on the engine? Jerry
Old 11-07-2023, 11:46 AM
Tyler T
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Any idea how many miles are on the engine? Jerry
No idea on mileage. Odometer and Fuel Gage don't currently work (found out about the fuel gage the hard way).
Old 11-07-2023, 12:20 PM
kossuth
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler T
I have a 1975 Small Block 350 V8 Corvette. I bought it about 2 months ago. It had extremely loud side pipes on it, so I don't know if the noise was there previously. I had the side pipes removed and a new exhaust built for it.

The noise doesn't start until 10 to 15 minutes after it is started. I can't tell if it speeds up with acceleration. I am hoping it is an exaust sound or other issue, but am worried it is an engine knock.

I have done the following based on threads in this forum, and elsewhere:
Replaced Mechanical Fuel Pump
Replaced Fan Clutch (it needed it)
Changed oil and filter looking for signs of metal (one seen)
Changed Fuel Pump
Checked Flex Plate (no noticeable cracks)

I used a Mechanic Stethoscope to try and pinpoint the noise, but it seems to be everywhere.

I have uploaded a video to YouTube of the sound. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. My next step is to have the engine rebuilt, but would rather not spend a few thousand on something I just bought.

Video: https://youtu.be/fk839zs_V0g?feature=shared
What oil are you running in it and what is your oil pressure. Have you validated your oil pressure with a separate gauge? If you’re not seeing a lot of material in the filter makes me think it’s not the motor but possibly something in the transmission. It kinda sounds like a knock but it could be a torque converter/transmission pump. Really hard to tell.

Get the car high up in the air and listen underneath while it’s running. A mechanics stethoscope should help you isolate it. If it’s coming from the pan then it’s the motor. If it’s coming from the back it’s the transmission.

An additional thought sprung to mind. Have you ruled out the accessory drive? If not run the car and get it hot then pop the belts off super quick and see if the noise changes.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:16 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 311 Posts

Timing chain slapping inside the cover from being too loose? Those years had the nylon top gear that wore out and the chain would become very loose (but still run ok).
I’m only hearing it on the decel and idle. A lower end knock would be more constant, I would think.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:49 PM
n2h2o2
Pro

Received 339 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
Timing chain slapping inside the cover from being too loose? Those years had the nylon top gear that wore out and the chain would become very loose (but still run ok).
I’m only hearing it on the decel and idle. A lower end knock would be more constant, I would think.
No....Rods and mains fluctuate because of load and oil pressure, and or oil viscosity (oil film cushion fluctuations)...
This is why these knocks can go away with motor honey or STP...(Gear oil)
Timing chain sound is like taking a chain and hitting sheet metal... tinny.
Lifters have a higher pitch "clack" sound.
Rods and Main bearings sound deeper, like a hammer hitting the block
Old 11-07-2023, 03:26 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I have listened to your video several times and it's not characteristic of a rod knocking but more in line with valve train noise, that said my head is not under the hood so this is just a guess on my part. For a rod knocking (failed bearing) I would expect to hear that low thunking sound at idle but also hear it with the rpm increased, just a faster thunking sound.

I would pull the valve cover and have a look there before dropping the oil pan. With the knocking sound, is it more pronounced from under the car or on top of the engine?
HeadsU.P. (11-08-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 04:39 PM
randallsteel
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I second disconnecting your belts.
you can run the car for a small amount of time without water pump/alternator
Old 11-08-2023, 06:56 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Fuel pump pushrod can make a racket, too...
Old 11-08-2023, 07:43 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

First order of business with any unusual engine noises is to check what you CAN see then worry about what you can't see later on.
As Mr. D stated, pull the V.C.

You can buy oil retaining clips that fit on the rocker arms. Those will keep oil from spraying on your exhaust system. Then, using a strip of thick cardboard, insert that between the valve springs and the valve cover bottom ledge. Start it up and observe.

The oil clips are sold in packs of 8. Check one bank of cylinders at a time and do not rev it up.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:36 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I have an old for 5.0L engine that made that noise at idle that otherwise ran well. I changed to 0w-40 M1 oil and the noise went away. I suspect worn main bearings with clearances that have opened up. Does the noise resolve or get better at higher RPM's? A rod knock will get louder or worse under a load.
Try the simplest solutions first. Change the oil wt. You could go 15w-50 and see what happens. Ultimately the mains are probably worn, but they can last a long time that way if the engine is not subjected to hard use.
LarryinWV (11-09-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Knocking Noise

Quick Reply: Engine Knocking Noise