C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

200r4 install.... need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 PM
glarior
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 200r4 install.... need help

So I bought a 200r4 trans today to install in my 80 vette to replace the TH350. I have read that it will bolt right in with maybe a change to the crossmember.

Does the 200r4 have a modulator valve? If yes, can I use the new on I put on the TH350?

What kind of wiring do I need to do for the transmission? I kept the connector that had the four wires connected to the car that the trans came from. I don't understand what some other people were talking about for the wiring.

Will the dipstick from the TH350 work in the 200r4?

What other little things do I need to have ready before I replace the TH350 with the 200r4transmission?

TV cable? I am looking that up too... suggestions?

Good place to look for a stock trans pan for the 200r4? I see them for 200+!!! thats way to high IMO

Last edited by glarior; 05-09-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:44 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When people say the 200 will bolt in, what they really mean is that it'll bolt up the the engine. You'll need to modify or buy a new cross memeber, the shift cable bracket will have to be modified, the bolt holes are farther apart on the (200 than on the 350) and you'll need the dipstick for the 200. As for the pan, try to find a place near you that sells core transmissions, they'd have one, or maybe a bone yard. The TV cable will mount to the stock kick down bracket, provided you still have it for the stock Q-Jet. Set up isn't difficult, there are many articles out there, and if all else fails, most local trans shops will set yours up for you once you're up and running.

As for the wiring for the lock up, there are several ways to do it. I simply wired the selonoid to ground and then wired the power to a rocker switch I mounted on my console, just above the power mirror switch. That way I can choose when to lock up the converter. I'd suggest using a lighted switch or wiring an LED somewhere so you're sure you know when it's locked up!

All that said, it's a great conversion, you'll be glad you did it!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:28 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I just finished the 200-4r install in my 75. But i had a TH400, not sure about your cross member, mine fit just fine. The 200-4r does not use a vacuum modulator. What is wrong with your pan? Mine had a hole in it the wrecking yard punched in it to drain the fluid. I just welded a threaded boss there for a drain plug.

As for the wiring for the lock up clutch, you need to check and see if your 4th gear pressure switch is normally open or normally closed. The N.O. switch is easier to use. You have 3 wires coming out the case plug, 2 wires from the TCC solenoid and 1 wire off the 4th gear switch. Hook the ground wire from the solenoid to the 4th gear switch,, then run the other solenoid wire up to a switch on the brake pedal that will open when the pedal is pushed, like the cruise control type switch. The other contact from the brake switch can go the acc fuse on the fuse box.

For the TV cable, my q-jet didn't have a stud for it so I changed out the throttle shaft from an old truck carb. Your carb should have the TV cable mount and the stud on the carb already.

Mine had the N.C. 4th gear switch so I wired it like this.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:08 AM
glarior
Racer

Originally Posted by '75
I just finished the 200-4r install in my 75. But i had a TH400, not sure about your cross member, mine fit just fine. The 200-4r does not use a vacuum modulator. What is wrong with your pan? Mine had a hole in it the wrecking yard punched in it to drain the fluid. I just welded a threaded boss there for a drain plug.

As for the wiring for the lock up clutch, you need to check and see if your 4th gear pressure switch is normally open or normally closed. The N.O. switch is easier to use. You have 3 wires coming out the case plug, 2 wires from the TCC solenoid and 1 wire off the 4th gear switch. Hook the ground wire from the solenoid to the 4th gear switch,, then run the other solenoid wire up to a switch on the brake pedal that will open when the pedal is pushed, like the cruise control type switch. The other contact from the brake switch can go the acc fuse on the fuse box.

For the TV cable, my q-jet didn't have a stud for it so I changed out the throttle shaft from an old truck carb. Your carb should have the TV cable mount and the stud on the carb already.

Mine had the N.C. 4th gear switch so I wired it like this.

I was thinking about doing the same thing to my pan. The pick n pull put a big hole in it...

How do I check and see if the 4th gear pressure switch is open or closed?

Is there a diagram or color chart for which of the 3 wires on the case plug goes to what?

Also, anyone have a picture of their trans before install? There is a opening that looks like something is suppose to go there but I don't know what. Its towards the rear of the trans on the side.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:15 AM
glarior
Racer

Also, do I have to change anything for the shfiter?

Get notified of new replies

To 200r4 install.... need help

Quick Reply: 200r4 install.... need help