C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous controller question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Red_Shift
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nitrous controller question

I'm installing a NOS Cheater system on my GM Performance ZZ502 crate engine. This kit comes with a solenoid large enough to flow 250 horsepower of nitrous. I would like to add a progressive nitrous controller to help preserve my drive train and lower my 1/4 mile times. I currently use a MSD-6AL ignition.

In order to save the engine from detonation I want to run a retard controller. MSD start/retard controller PN 8982. It plugs right in to the MSD.

But page 7 of the controler owners manual states that it is not recommended with progressive controllers. How you retard your timing when running a progressive nitrous controller?

Thanks very much.
~Brad
Old 05-21-2010, 02:59 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

You could just get the MSD 8680 Adj Timing Control....then just manually retard the timing yourself when you are gonna spray.

If you want something more automated, you will have to figure out how to wire the 8982 Ignition retard to be triggered off of a 12v source....using the output from your progressive box may studder or delay the retard. You could prolly run a 30 amp relay to feed power to the 8982,get power for the relay from any 12v constant source, them trigger the relay with the output of the progressive box as the relay will trigger with minimum voltage....OR use the arming switch from the nitrous kit to also trigger the relay for the 8982...

Couple ways to skin a cat. You should call MSD and see what they recommend....I am just thinking out loud here.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:21 PM
bluzman2004
Pro

Usually you could run a MSD digital 6 like me. It has everything in one and you have a wire that is activated by 12v when your nitrous is activated and you just set how much timing to pull out when it is activated. Usually, you set the timing to pull out how much timing you will need for the total amount of nitrous at 100% and just let the controller run the nitrous through its percentages.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Red_Shift
Racer

Thanks for the answers and both will work. I spoke to a tech at MSD and the relay idea would work. It would cost me $174 for the retard controller and $42 for the relay.

The MSD digital 6 would cost me $287. The new ignition will cost me $71 initally but the salvage value of the old ignition will make getting the new ignition a winner. I only used the old ignition for 30 miles.

Thanks for all the help. I love this forum. I will use the nitrous arming switch for my 12V source. Does that sound about right?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
bluzman2004
Pro

Sounds like a plan!

If you end up not being able to get off the line without spinning the tires with the nitrous coming on off the line, you can add a window switch and it will let you set an rpm to turn on the nitrous at like after you have got moving a little. Then, you can use that box to turn on your retard with the nitrous so you can launch at full power without the timing being retarded until the nitrous comes on.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:40 PM
bluzman2004
Pro

Oops forgot you had a progresser!
Never mind,

Get notified of new replies

To Nitrous controller question

Quick Reply: Nitrous controller question