C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-Arm Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A-Arm Bushings?

Yes, I've read the Lars paper, but no I don't have an air chisel.

So.. any bright ideas on how to get the A-arm bushings out - without harming the shafts or the A-arms?

I must whine that after getting the rear done so well... that this feels like "starting over all over again". (sigh)

-W
Old 05-23-2010, 11:12 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

You can use a torch to burn the rubber out but it is a nasty, dirty, and smelly process.

Or, do what I did, go to a local garage and give the guy $20 to swap the bushing for you. Dropped them off on the way to work, picked them up on the way home.

BTW, my buddy and I did the air chisel thing but was also a long slow process unless you have a big compressor, vise, etc.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Or, do what I did, go to a local garage and give the guy $20 to swap the bushing for you. Dropped them off on the way to work, picked them up on the way home.
Last time I went to a "local garage" was to get the universals removed from the 1/2 shafts. "Big Hammer Bubba" bent the spindle flanges and I had a HELL of a time getting them straight again. I'm just afraid of what a guy like that could do with my A-arms and an air chisel.

None the less... I might try dropping them off for removal to a different shop. But Bubba lives, hides, and works somewhere in the Deep South - I'm sure of it.

-W

Last edited by Clams Canino; 05-23-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You can take them to a real "automotive machine shop" not a repair garage. Most of these guys are a little older, have had some experience with them, and also a little more common sense sometimes.

For really tough stubborn ones, you can cut the rubber out with a drill and proper sized hole saw, then carefully slice the outer metal with a small air saw (careful to not cut the a arm) and then they almost fall out when beat inwards with little mess.
If buying any tools, I would go the holesaw, air file route.
At least you'll have the tools when it's time again in 30 years.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:27 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I clamped my lowers in a vise and used a small sharp chisel to work the flange up a tad, then used my pickle fork as a wedge to gently pry them out. For installation I welded up a cradle of sorts out of scrap flat stock and used a suitably sized socket powered by a 2 lb. hammer to drive them home. Uppers were pressed out using the vise jaw and a piece of 2 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC as a spacer. Two sockets to install first bush, one socket and support on vise jaw for second. Not too tough, and damage free!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:47 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I would also recommend an automotive machine shop but if you try to do it yourself start with the upper arms the lowers are a real challenge to remove.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
I would also recommend an automotive machine shop but if you try to do it yourself start with the upper arms the lowers are a real challenge to remove.

OK... I'll try the uppers 1st. If it seems to be "too much" they can go to a machine shop for removal.

I know I can get the new ones in.

-W
Old 05-23-2010, 01:53 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

The way I've looked at things my whole life is:

The shop wants $50 bucks to take out the bushings. I can buy the air chizel for less than $50 bucks and I learn something. I also now have an air chizel for future use. When I was young I had a jeep. I needed a cutting torch and a welder to fix it. I still have the torch and welder 25 year later and have used them for everything under the sun
Old 05-23-2010, 08:10 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

It's not that hard I burned and chiseled mine the hard part is getting that shroud back in
Old 05-23-2010, 08:51 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

If IF ... IF ... you're replacing w/ POLYurethane AND your current old outer shells are not damaged ... you can get em ready for poly with only an $8 hole saw & a penknife ... NO fire, NO press, NO chisel, NO airfile, NO saw ... search where I posted several times about it ... but my method does NOT apply if you replace w/ rubber. ... poly only.

fyi ... if you've got a robust air comp ... you can use an air chisel ... cheap ones are about $25.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkull
The way I've looked at things my whole life is:

The shop wants $50 bucks to take out the bushings. I can buy the air chizel for less than $50 bucks and I learn something. I also now have an air chizel for future use. When I was young I had a jeep. I needed a cutting torch and a welder to fix it. I still have the torch and welder 25 year later and have used them for everything under the sun
I like the way you think... and that's me all over - usually.
But I know in my heart of hearts I will never again in this lifetime take on such a task. I don't really "like" working on cars, particularly the non-engine stuff. I won't even work on I/O's in my outboard business except to change the oil or the raw-water pump.

I work on THIS car only because of the long relationship, and the money. I had a ball joint go sounth on the Marquis - I had local garage fix it. I've gone 50 years without an air-chisel so far in life.

Quite frankly the rear end took too long... I plan to farm out some of the sand-blasting up front too. I just want my car back and there is still so much to do.............

-W
Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or, you can use the proper tool:

The one I use is Astro Upper Control Arm Bushing Service Set #7866. It runs about $80 and not only will it remove them, but can be used to install them. Plus, with a some additional tricks can be used for the lower ball joints.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:26 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I've also called the pros in like when I built a garage. I called the sheet rockers and the roofers in.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Leftlane75
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clams canino, I just got done doing the same job and I drilled the rubber out then the hammer or a torch to burn the rubber. After that I used a jig saw with metal cutting blade to cut the shell in two spots then hammer it out. A word of encouragement,your car will drive like brand new when you get done!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Clams Canino
Quite frankly the rear end took too long... I plan to farm out some of the sand-blasting up front too. I just want my car back and there is still so much to do.............

-W
Clams several of the suppliers offer reconditioned a-arms with exchange.
Most are powder coated and ready to bolt in place. Definitely a time saver, not so easy on the wallet.

Get notified of new replies

To A-Arm Bushings?

Quick Reply: A-Arm Bushings?