C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400, removing the governor...IN the car...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Default TH400, removing the governor...IN the car...?

Anyone been able to remove the shift governor of a T400 with the tranny in the car? Looks like I only have about 2-2 1/2" between the cover and the tranny tunnel....I assume that the governor when pulled out will not come out of the tranny with only this much clearance.....

Anyone had any success with this? I know I could remove the exhaust, tranny crossmember, clutch fan and distributor/box to lower the rear of the tranny down but that would be a PITA to do this multiple times to dial in the shift points in the governor....AND I don't want to drill/cut holes in the floor of the car so...

Thoughts on this? Visually it looks impossible but...maybe some of you tranny gurus and accomplished this....

I got my kick down working fine now, but I need this thing to shift higher....Only shifts about 4800-5000 which sux.... Gonna try the B&M governor kit if I can get the governor out....
Old 05-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Tumarr
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes your going to have to drop the transmission, which is a pain in the *** if you dont have a lift available. I did it several times with the car on the ground though, so its do able, just lots of cussing and nuckle busting.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:37 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tumarr
yes your going to have to drop the transmission, which is a pain in the *** if you dont have a lift available. I did it several times with the car on the ground though, so its do able, just lots of cussing and nuckle busting.

Did you lower the rear of the tranny to get enough room for the gov assy to slide out?

I just put the tranny back in last weekend. The tranny builder was supposed to calibrate the governor but chose to play with the modulator instead which got me 5000 rpm shifts....not the 5900-6000 I asked for....
Old 05-27-2010, 12:04 AM
slapshot 496
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the weights and springs on my governor just last week..All i did was remove the tranny mount ,this gave me just enuff room to get the job done..my mount is a energy suspension piece however i think it is the same height so you should get the same amount of clearance
Old 05-27-2010, 10:38 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by slapshot 496
I changed the weights and springs on my governor just last week..All i did was remove the tranny mount ,this gave me just enuff room to get the job done..my mount is a energy suspension piece however i think it is the same height so you should get the same amount of clearance
Did you use the B&M recal kit? What springs/weights you trying first?

Removing the tranny mount is a good idea...unfortunately I would still have to unhook the exhaust and remove the clutch fan....I might have to pull the ignition shield box and remove the dist. cap....still a PITA...

I was hoping to weasel it out but I guess not...man I really wanted to dial this tranny in also....
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Either drop the transmission mount and tilt the whole 'shebang' down to get to it....or cut an access hole in the floorboard and put a cover over it for future use.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 PM
slapshot 496
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did use the B@M kit however i had used the 2 lightest weights and set of springs in a previuos build..This time round i used the 3rd and 4th lightest weights along with the next set of lightest springs..this upped my full throttle shifts to 5400 from the 5000 rpm it was shifting at...not ideal but a definate improvement,i,m sure every transmission is different and it is a trial and error kind of deal!!

Get notified of new replies

To TH400, removing the governor...IN the car...?

Quick Reply: TH400, removing the governor...IN the car...?