C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1975 Front Bumper Cover removal

Old 05-29-2010, 02:59 PM
dduenkel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 Front Bumper Cover removal

I am currently removing the paint from my 75 so it can get painted next week. I went to the body shop yesterday and they told me to remove both the front and rear bumper covers. I got the rear off with out many issues... but the front bumper cover will not come off. I have removed all the nuts that connect it to the body and the cover pulls about 1/4-1/2 inch from the body but there is something else holding it on. I have looked through my AIM and also searched these forums but I am unable to figure out if something else needs to be removed for it to come off... If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:38 PM
dduenkel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gone over the entire bumper cover and have removed the 14 or so nuts that hold the bumper to the body. Do I have to remove any braces or anything? At this point the car is completely stripped of paint and I have to figure out how to remove this before the painter will touch the car... Thanks!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:49 PM
teamo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Not sure but I am doing this job myself right now. I have to remove the front bumper cover from my 75 so I can lift the body off of the frame around 6". I seem to be loosening lots of stuff and the bumper seems to still be on there pretty tight. I removed the two outer grilles and the steel brackets that they screw into to give myself some room to work. Did you remove the headlight assemblies to get to the nuts holding the cover? Hope I don't have to do that. Looks like a real pain to get them out.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:03 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I removed mine several years ago and do not remember anything special that had to be done. I do remember it was a pain getting all those nuts off, especially since many of mine were rusted and not original hardware. I did not have to remove the headlight assemblies.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You should have a rubber coated bumper...that is on a bracket...that is secured to the end of the impact bar that keeps the cover from coming off. This part is somewhat behind where your park/signal lenses were. It kinda aids in pushing out and giving strength to the outer ends of the bumper cover....inline WITH and in front of the side marker light. It should take 2 bolts that take a 5/8" socket or wrench per side to be removed...and also a nut that you get from the underside of the impact bar. This nut is 'touchy" because it is a carriage bolt...and if it binds up can spin. SO be careful when messing with the the nuts in this area.

DUB
Old 06-11-2014, 03:08 PM
teamo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Here are a few pictures of the bumper cover that I finished removing last night. The pictures are a little dark so it might be hard to make out. It was tough getting up behind the cover and finding all of the small nuts that hold it on. I had to use several sockets and also a ratchet u joint to get to a few. I broke a few of them but I knew that would happen with all of the rust. Going to fix everything the right way when I put it all back together. There was some major Bubba work that I found. Front grilles and parking lamp on one side were bolted on with what looks like deck screws.

Last edited by teamo; 09-21-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 Front Bumper Cover removal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1975 Front Bumper Cover removal