C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Ajar Light

Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 PM
ssenay72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Ajar Light

Why the heck does my door ajar light stay on all the time? I replaced every door jam switch too, still stays on. WHY!! grrr The headlight indicator light doesnt work either. Neither does the fasten seat belts light.

Anyone have this before? I really jsut want everything working the way it should before i button it all up.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About Door Ajar light :
The wire going to the switch is likely grounded somewhere, perhaps near the switch itself ( driver or passenger side ).
Maybe you can remove both switches, insulate them from the chassis and see if the light goes off. If it does, you have found where your problem is.
If it doesn't, the ground is coming from somewhere else, but it's hard to tell where from...

About headlight and fasten seat belts indicators :
First check light bulbs ( and fuses too )

Assuming the bulbs are OK, and +12V is present on one of the light bulb wires, if I remember correctly, there are two switches in parallel for the fasten seat belts light,
one inside the driver seat belt cover ( under driver seat ) and one under the passenger seat.
The last one is only sensitive to the passenger weight and not to the passenger seat belt itself. Did you try to put your hand on the passenger seat and apply some weight on it ?
It would be surprising that both switches don't work at the same time. If the light is still off, a ground is probably missing somewhere. This can be checked with a multitester.

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 06-08-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 73StreetRace
About Door Ajar light :
The wire going to the switch is likely grounded somewhere, perhaps near the switch itself ( driver or passenger side ).
Maybe you can remove both switches, insulate them from the chassis and see if the light goes off. If it does, you have found where your problem is.
If it doesn't, the ground is coming from somewhere else, but it's hard to tell where from...
But the first thing I would do is disconnect the rear body harness connector and see if the light goes out.
If the light goes out then the problem is between the rear harness connector and the door ajar switches.
If the light doesnt go out ,make sure you have the correct pink and blue wired bulb socket in the door ajar hole in the cluster.
Also the blue wire could be grounded before it gets to the rear harness connector.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Wrong switch? Might be too short.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Ajar Light

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Ajar Light