C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant recovery bottle options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:03 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant recovery bottle options?

I'm using a copper/brass radiator that I put in with the stroker a few years back. I also at the time got a new recovery bottle from one of the forum vendors. But as you all know, this isn't actually a sealed system. My problem is that the cover comes off the recovery bottle just enough to splash coolant over the header and inner fender liner on that side.

I don't know if it's poor design, with the AC pressure line being attached to the top of the fender there, or what but I'm kinda tired of it. Looking for pics of others who have gone to sealed systems or are using a different recovery bottle that is a better design? Suggestions?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:12 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, no takers on this one.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:21 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't know if this is the style you have, but it doesn't leak.
I used 3/8" gas line to the rad and heater hose for the overflow. If just the right length, they are stiff enough to keep the lid in place. I keep the jug half full or less when hot.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm fighting a similar problem. My '72 (with air) has no overflow tank - it is an "open" system so when the coolant expands, it is puked out the overflow drain onto the ground.
I'm trying to find a tank that will fit under the fender. I tried a '73 plastic tank but it doesn't fit because of the AC and related hoses. The long tube type tanks will not fit and the recommended steel tank looks like it won't fit either. I would like to hear from someone who has a '72 and has an overflow system installed that actually works.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:44 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

You guys can use just about any container you can fit in the space you have,just make sure the hose coming from the overflow nipple goes to the "bottom" of the container This allows the radiator to puke and then draw the coolant back in after it cools.

edit- reread your post-try the 78 coolant tank-the coolant "in and out" is from the bottom of the tank-beats the old tubes in the top

Last edited by ...Roger...; 06-15-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:44 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a Canton Racing Products 4 quarts aluminum recovery tank, and I like it :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-80-211/

Absolutely no leak !

But the bracket wasn't included, I had to make one...

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 06-15-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JimT
I'm fighting a similar problem. My '72 (with air) has no overflow tank - it is an "open" system so when the coolant expands, it is puked out the overflow drain onto the ground.
It pukes because it's overfilled or you have a weak rad cap. Adding a recovery tank will just mask the symptoms.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:55 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
It pukes because it's overfilled or you have a weak rad cap. Adding a recovery tank will just mask the symptoms.
No, it's not radiator pressure causing the cap to come off - it only happens on hard cornering. I fill it to the 'full hot' line which is only about a third up from the bottom of the tank I think.

Like you say, it will pop off from pressure too though. A couple years after the stroker transplant, I found the cap coming off the recovery bottle after I'd redline it through the gears. Anything over 5,000 RPM would make the radiator release a bit of pressure and the overflow cap would come off. I did put a new rad cap on it back then.

Now, the only time I have the problem is on real hard cornering.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I was responding to the post from JimT. Sorry.

Try using a '78 and up tank as Roger suggested.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:36 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Thanks Mike and Roger, I'll try the '78 tank and let the forum know if it works.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
No, it's not radiator pressure causing the cap to come off - it only happens on hard cornering. I fill it to the 'full hot' line which is only about a third up from the bottom of the tank I think.

Like you say, it will pop off from pressure too though. A couple years after the stroker transplant, I found the cap coming off the recovery bottle after I'd redline it through the gears. Anything over 5,000 RPM would make the radiator release a bit of pressure and the overflow cap would come off. I did put a new rad cap on it back then.

Now, the only time I have the problem is on real hard cornering.
Your cap should snap on, but maybe it's not as tight as it should be. Mine doesn't come off even while cornering.

Why don't you try just putting a european style hose clamp on the cap. They are the ones without the holes thru them and are available a lot narrower than the othersand should fit on the cap under the hoses. Came on BMW etc.
That should fix it for ya.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Nor...amps_s/671.htm
Old 06-16-2010, 02:47 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by noonie
Your cap should snap on, but maybe it's not as tight as it should be. Mine doesn't come off even while cornering.

Why don't you try just putting a european style hose clamp on the cap. They are the ones without the holes thru them and are available a lot narrower than the othersand should fit on the cap under the hoses. Came on BMW etc.
That should fix it for ya.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Nor...amps_s/671.htm
I get it - kinda like a C.V. Boot Clamp. Hey, great idea!!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:29 PM
budavid
Advanced

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
You guys can use just about any container you can fit in the space you have,just make sure the hose coming from the overflow nipple goes to the "bottom" of the container This allows the radiator to puke and then draw the coolant back in after it cools.

edit- reread your post-try the 78 coolant tank-the coolant "in and out" is from the bottom of the tank-beats the old tubes in the top
Thanks Mike and Roger, I'll try the '78 tank and let the forum know if it works.
I'm on the same way with the 82 tank, seems that fits right inside behind the wheel well, but I'm facing the problem of the expansion valve which blocks the way to slide in the new tank, I'm waiting for a JTR sight glass + bleeder valve for the upper radiator hose, as soon as it arrives, I'll remove the expansion valve and put in the tank.

I hope everything goes right
Old 06-20-2010, 05:12 PM
CFD E59
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice set up 73streetrace
Old 06-20-2010, 08:53 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by CFD E59
Nice set up 73streetrace
Looking Good
Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 AM
martinsw
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a ~1 quart alum bottle w/screw on cap from fibertech out in santee. No sight window on the bottle, so I ran a clear line from rad overfil to the new bottle and working great. Had to do a custom bracket to mount on driver side.

I like the setup 73streetrace put in also.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CFD E59
Nice set up 73streetrace
Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Looking Good
Originally Posted by martinsw
I like the setup 73streetrace put in also.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant recovery bottle options?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Tried the '78 overflow tank and it also will not fit on my '72 - as with the '73 tank the AC plumbing is in the way. I can slide the tank in up from the bottom rear of the wheel well but cannot get it to the top of the fender, too tight of a fit. Oh well, I'll try something else.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Tried the '78 overflow tank and it also will not fit on my '72 - as with the '73 tank the AC plumbing is in the way. I can slide the tank in up from the bottom rear of the wheel well but cannot get it to the top of the fender, too tight of a fit. Oh well, I'll try something else.
Thats nice to know for future reference.
It appears that in and around 1978 GM got away from the tubes going in from the top through the cap. I like the later design of the tube coming in the bottom , maybe try looking at other GM cars 78 and up for a smaller tank. Smaller the engine , smaller the tank ???
Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
Wow, no takers on this one.
no picture, But I have the Summit or Jazz black 2 quart return bottle that i drilled holes on the back of the passenger fender down low. So the bottle drain valve is actualy just above the lower lip of the body panel.

I also did the NASCAR thing with the exit boil over line. It is placed squiring straight up over on the passenger edge of the window. So if it is boiling over you start to see a steam jet shooting up.

Quick Reply: Coolant recovery bottle options?