C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket carburetor for an L81?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:10 PM
mupepe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Aftermarket carburetor for an L81?

I was going to rebuild by 81 carburetor but decided to just buy a new one for when I eventually start upgrading and get more power. Any recommendations on a good one? and DIY guides on me putting this on? Is it easy? I've watched my dad put on a carburetor, but none of my cars before this had a carburetor so I just don't want to screw anything up. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Purchase Mr. Roe's book (cheap compared to the cost of a new carburetor) and rebuild yours.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:59 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Is there actually a supplier who sells replacements for the L-81 carb? That is a hybrid carb (one year only) with an electrically operated mixture control. The ECU regulates the mixture based on O2 sensor and other inputs; it also regulates timing to the "one year only" distributor. I would have thought you would have to rebuild it...but I've been surprised before.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:30 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Is there actually a supplier who sells replacements for the L-81 carb?
Not that I've ever seen. In all liklihood, if you want to replace the carb with an aftermarket one, you'll have to replace the distributor too unless you can think of a clever way of fooling the computer. Most jsut do avay with the CCC system when you get to the point of replacing the carb.

If it's salvageable, I'd say rebuilding the existing carb is your best bet.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the CCC system is still working, there are good reasons for retaining it and rebuilding the carb 'as-is'. An '81 that is working as intended will get substantially better fuel mileage, better idle quality, and actually PASS EMISSIONS INSPECTION...even in Cal-ee-forn-ee-a!!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:24 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If the CCC system is still working, there are good reasons for retaining it and rebuilding the carb 'as-is'. An '81 that is working as intended will get substantially better fuel mileage, better idle quality, and actually PASS EMISSIONS INSPECTION...even in Cal-ee-forn-ee-a!!
Really? I have read this before and dispute it almost entirely especially the part about better mileage. When I swapped mine to a non CCC carb and dist it went straight to 17 in town and 20 plus MPG on the highway. I suspect my computer was not working correctly before thus the ten MPG, however, I have never seen a stock 81 with those numbers I am sure there are some, but they won't be substantially better, maybe lucky just to be close to 20. Mine idles so smooth you can't tell it is running, it fires on the first turn of the key as well. The only thing I am quite sure of is the emissions stuff, since I have no emissions anything on my car, it most likely won't pass anything but I don't care and live where they don't either. All of this is from experience on my 81, and I am getting tired of hearing anyone say how great that P of crap computer system is. Sorry I don't buy it.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 AM
gs78vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you have a real need to keep the car stock, I would suggest a new carb with new technology for safety and reliability; plus an electric choke on the Holley Avenger carb I got was a nice improvement.
I like the warranty too!

Most carbs for our cars are calibrated nicely out of the box so not too many adjustments are even needed. Usually good instructions are included in the box and online as well. The good companies have tech lines if you get in trouble plus this great forum!

I'm bias, my carb was in such poor shape when I bought my car that saving it was not even considered. I still have it but it will never be on the car again. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:28 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 92 Posts

I just put a rebuilt on my car and purchased it from National Carburetor - you can google them to find them. A big co. and they sent me mine in about a week. Also check out Recarbco. They are close to me, and I actually went to their location to check them out. Been around for years. Both places have rebuilt carbs for the 81.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

http://www.smicarburetor.com/product...D2/86/sfID3/34

I used Sean Murphy above for my 78 works perfect, starts, idle and make 18 to 20 MPG on the road.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 AM
mupepe
Racer

Cool! Thanks everyone.

So for an L81, if my computer is intact, I would have to replace the distributor? I don't mind that at all since that was on my list of things to do. I don't intend on keeping it completely stock anyways. I've already purchased some edelbrock aftermarket parts so I'm looking to start upgrading the entire system except the block

So if I go ahead and replace the carburetor, what would you guys recommend for updated distributor? Anything I should be looking out for regarding compatibility?

BTW, I don't think my computer system works properly anyways. It seemed to run better when I did a test run unplugging it. and to be clear, I don't really care about keeping it. Unplugged I get about 16mpg city.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Any decent brand HEI distributor will work. Even a Summit brand or Jegs. No need for overkill on the voltage, a 50 or 65K unit is fine. You most likely will need a recurve kit, Mr. Gasket sells a good one with new springs and weights. about 10 bucks for the kit. Contact Lars(do a search) on the Forum and get him to email you a set of his Distributor and carb papers, read em and follow them and your car will run like a top. BTW if the computer or associated sensor is bad the computer will default to full rich and it will use a lot of gas and smoke under heavy acceleration. Good luck, and welcome to the fray!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 PM
sniperdiver37
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer your carb question:
Yes replace it with a good streetable 650cmf carb with elect choke. Go bigger if you plan on hanging some good heads on her.
Remember cool air in, hot air out.... so good open air cleaner, headers.

I went with alum edelbrock heads,matching cam, performer intake, edelbrock 750 cmf w/elec chock, headers, HEI distrib, MDS box. she sounds very pissed off now...Yarded all the ECM/CCC/ crap off.

all and all..if you want to keep her stock, rebuild. Of not, replace with better stuff. Just enjoy it
Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 PM
mupepe
Racer

Cool! Thanks, guys.

I got the Edelbrock Performer Intake used and I'll be putting it on today. So I'll let you guys know how that goes. Or is it a bad idea to put it on before doing other upgrades? I put some headers on (just something to open her up a bit, not permanent and also used).

I'll pick up a distributor and a recurve kit along with a carburetor sometime in the next week or two.

I put on a new alternator last night so I'm starting to focus on engine parts now.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket carburetor for an L81?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carburetor for an L81?