C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C pressue switch wired to the compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Vetteran'81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C pressue switch wired to the compressor?

My recently purchased 81 has been blowing A/C lines because of the way the fans were wired and now I'm trying to rewire my Be Cool fans, adding the A/C relay harness.

Note: My Engine is not stock, and I have a serpentine belt system. The compressor is not stock either.

1. My A/C Pressure switch (near the accumulator) has two green wires (light and dark) and one of them goes directly to the compressor which only has one wire? The other into a harness and into the vehicle. Is this right? The prints seem to show it going to the A/C selector switch, and the other going somewhere else. Why would it have been wired directly to the compressor?

2. I am thinking that exposed compressor wire is the positive side? And the ground is part of the support systemn and not a wire?

3. The terminal on the Be Cool sending unit is bad, what is the best one to replace it with? I see several temperature ranges to choose from. I am leaning toward a 195 Degrees On/175 Degrees Off unit.

-J
Old 06-18-2010, 12:02 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

1, the switch has 2 wires, 1 to the compressor clutch, the other to the switch on the AC control. The comp clutch is grounded internally, so only 1 wire.
2, yes, exactly
3. 195/175 is a pretty good seletion, put it in the passenger head. and delete the stock sender on that side
Old 06-18-2010, 12:58 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't know what refrigerant you are using, but if converted to 134, then a high pressure cut off switch should have been installed by law to prevent your hoses from blowing.
The stock system had a pressure cycling switch in the line.

When changing to electric fans for an a/c car, fan must run with a/c on or the head pressures can easily reach critical and lines will blow (without the high press switch)
Best is you will wear compressor prematurely.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:34 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by noonie
...When changing to electric fans for an a/c car, fan must run with a/c on or the head pressures can easily reach critical and lines will blow (without the high press switch)
Best is you will wear compressor prematurely.
The fan(s) have to run with the a/c on or you will blow lines. If you have a high pressure switch, you can wire it so that the fans turn off at highway speed basically (when there is sufficient airflow to reduce head pressure). That is the way most cars with electric fans are wired.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pressure switch near the accumulator is the low pressure switch. A high side pressure switch is usually mounted at the back of the compressor. Both switches would be wired in series with the compressor. The compressor being last in the series would provide your ground.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Vetteran'81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Success!

I got it all finished up and filled the system today. Since I do not own a vacuum pump, I took it down and had it filled at my local Firestone shop. Anyway, it seems to be working great.

I never found the high pressure switch. I am thinking it was not added when the system was converted to R134. That may add to the explaination of the ruptured hoses.

Thanks for the advice, 1 project down, 213 to do!

Get notified of new replies

To A/C pressue switch wired to the compressor?

Quick Reply: A/C pressue switch wired to the compressor?