C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 Horn fuse & relay location ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:58 AM
33Chevy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1982 Horn fuse & relay location ?

Had my 82 out the other day when the steering wheel horn button basically came apart with the horn blasting away until I pulled it off. Repaired the cover but now the horn doesn't work. Tried locating a horn fuse and or relay under the dash..but just can't get in there far enough to see anything. My manuals don't have any specific details for an 82.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2010, 11:47 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

mostlikely the horn button itself will be the problem. Pull it apart and touch a wire from the horn contact to the steering wheel bolt. It should sound the horn.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hugie82
mostlikely the horn button itself will be the problem. Pull it apart and touch a wire from the horn contact to the steering wheel bolt. It should sound the horn.
But I doubt you blew a fuse, your stop lights and hazard lights are on the same fuse so if they work the horn fuse is OK.
The horn relay if old might have failed but thats doubtful. The relay is just above the fuse box taped to the cluster of wires going up from the box.
As hugie said go back in and look at the horn button.The button just grounds a wire to the column to make the horn blow.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 PM
33Chevy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.....was hoping it was something basic. I shorted it out with the cover off and still nothing. Looks like I need to go into the column a bit deeper.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:11 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Check this thread and look at the 2nd page where we talk about grounding the black wire in the harmonica connector. This will jump forward in the process and make sure the problem is in the column and not somewhere else. If grounding this wire doesn't blow the horn chances are you have problems other than the column.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...my-81-a-2.html

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 Horn fuse & relay location ?

Quick Reply: 1982 Horn fuse & relay location ?