C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb(s) and Intake: Enough Clearance??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Carb(s) and Intake: Enough Clearance??

I've been looking at getting this carb and intake manifold setup:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-20254/?rtype=10

With an aftermarket LT1 Hood, do you think I will have enough clearance? Is anyone else running this setup and has any problems?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you'll have clearance problems...at least with that air cleaner setup. Maybe if you can find an air filter of less height you can get away with it. You may find you have to go with some other air cleaner design.

Go on Edelbrock's website and their online catalog will give you height dimensions of their intakes and carburetors as well as how to measure your hood clearance...then you can find out.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 AM
marz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same setup on my 76. I had no clearance issues at all with the original hood. It was on a small block 383 stroker.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Tom1701
Advanced

I have it on my '76 and had no clearance problems but I can't vouch for the hood on your '68.

Tom1701
Old 06-24-2010, 09:58 AM
jostby
Heel & Toe

I am working on my uncles '76 and this is the same setup he just installed on the new smallblock. He bought a taller hood from Ecklers and has a lower profile air cleaner than your picture in the first post but there still isn't enough clearance, only 1/4" when the hood is latched. I'm still puting the rest of the car together so haven't adressed this clearance issue yet but if Tom1701 and Marz have both used this with no issues I would like some insite to what may be wrong with our setup??
I am the third person to work on this frame-off rebuild and the other 2 guys won't deal with my uncle any more so finding out what they did first-hand isn't possible. And my uncle is completely car-iliterate.
Is it possible they used incorrect engine mounts that would position the engine higher?
I was just researching taller hoods when I saw this thread. I will find out exactly which hood he bought (I have all the reciepts) and that will tell how much higher than stock it is. And I'll measure the air cleaner height too. I'll try to post that info tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Wow, what are the odds that all three of you have '76s?? I'm glad to hear that at least 2/3 didn't have any issues...but '76 might be a bit different than my '68..?

I have a 327 btw. Forgot to mention that, regardless if it makes a difference..
Old 06-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Tom1701
Advanced

SORRY MY MISTAKE. That's an Air Gap. I have the C-26 Intake.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-5425/

Tom1701
Old 06-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by marz
I had the same setup on my 76. I had no clearance issues at all with the original hood. It was on a small block 383 stroker.
So is yours the air gap as well?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 PM
jostby
Heel & Toe

Ours is the AirGap manifold. It measures 4.5" from the fender drip rail to the top of the air cleaner. The hood is an Ecklers #10419 which is the tallest they advertise at 4 5/8" rise. Ecklers said this setup would work but with 1/8" clearance (about what I measured with aluminum foil) I think we'll be needing to do something else.

I would like to hear any solutions if anyone has one??
Jeff.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:14 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Wow...your engine looks like it sits up higher than mine, regardless of intake/carb...

:EDIT: Oh, and if you take the pliers off of the air cleaner, you should gain a an inch or so of clearance.

(j/k)
Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 AM
jostby
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Birdman
Wow...your engine looks like it sits up higher than mine, regardless of intake/carb...

:EDIT: Oh, and if you take the pliers off of the air cleaner, you should gain a an inch or so of clearance.

(j/k)
unfortunately I don't have another car to compare the engine height to and I live in a pretty rural area.
The air filter is actually off-set. Right now the long part is facing forward. If I turn it around that may give the clearance I need as it is the forward portion contacting the hood. But to turn it around I need to come up with 1/4" spacers as it rests on the spark plug wires on top of the distributor cap and doesn't seat fully on the carbs that way. We're using a MSD distributor which brings up another issue... I don't think this setup allows enough room to run a HEI distributor as the rear carb doesn't leave enough room for the large HEI cap (At least it doesn't appear to).
If I can shim the air cleaners up up I think there will still be enough clearance between the top of the filter and the hood.
So, where does a person find air cleaner spacers for Edelbrock carbs? This might be a good time to start a new thread, I didn't mean to hijack this one.

Jeff.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:46 PM
marz
Burning Brakes

So is yours the air gap as well?
Yes, it's the AirGap. Don't know why there is any discrepancy. If you have the other setup you should really not have any problems because the AirGap is taller than the other model. It's a conundrum. Are you using any spacers of any kind?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by marz
Yes, it's the AirGap. Don't know why there is any discrepancy. If you have the other setup you should really not have any problems because the AirGap is taller than the other model. It's a conundrum. Are you using any spacers of any kind?
Pardon?

What other setup are you talking about? I never told you what setup I have. What other model?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Anybody else have any experience or can throw in some input?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anybody else have any experience or can throw in some input?
I have no experience (my C3 is a 454) but I went to the Edelbrock website and looked up the dual quad air gap manifold. Here's what it says:
RPM Air-Gap Dual-Quad (1500-6500 rpm)
Designed for 1955-86 S/B Chevys, this intake stands 1-5/8" taller than the low-profile C-26 intake and offers performance improvements in the 1500-6500 rpm range. The large runners feature our unique Air-Gap design that separates the runners from the hot engine valley for a cooler, denser charge. Will not fit under stock Corvette hood. Also available as a complete carb and manifold kit.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...carbs-sb.shtml

It isn't clear if it fits under an L-88 hood or high-rise hood from Ecklers but it's clear it doesn't under the stock hood. The other dual quad manifold is lower so that might help.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Crap....I wonder if they are including that big air cleaner into the equation or not...because I can get a shorter one...otherwise I trusted Summit a little too much..

I guess I'll just have my dad put it on..and report back how much clearance I will need to get the hood to go down. Hopefully I can just get a smaller air cleaner...otherwise I'll have to get that other intake, the C26 or whatever..

Thanks for the quick research Bob!
Old 06-27-2010, 12:22 PM
jostby
Heel & Toe

My setup will end up working with the airgap but we have to change from the MSD distributor to a low-profile distributo so that the thin low-profile air filter will sit flush on the carbs. That will still only leave us with about 1/2"-3/4" hood clearance. The air-gap does not provide enough room to work with the HEI because of carb interferance. Also the Edelbrock AirGap has no vacuum port provision, only what's available off of the carbs. Even if you go with the standard low dual carb manifold you will need a low-pro distributor and the tall hood. Just my observations. Good luck (I know I'll need it to finish this up)
Jeff.

Get notified of new replies

To Carb(s) and Intake: Enough Clearance??

Old 06-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jostby
My setup will end up working with the airgap but we have to change from the MSD distributor to a low-profile distributo so that the thin low-profile air filter will sit flush on the carbs. That will still only leave us with about 1/2"-3/4" hood clearance. The air-gap does not provide enough room to work with the HEI because of carb interferance. Also the Edelbrock AirGap has no vacuum port provision, only what's available off of the carbs. Even if you go with the standard low dual carb manifold you will need a low-pro distributor and the tall hood. Just my observations. Good luck (I know I'll need it to finish this up)
Jeff.
Hmmm, this gives me hope.. Right now I have the stock distributor on there...so don't think I'll have to worry about that? Regardless, could you post the link to the one you will eventually get?

How will the lack of a vacuum port affect me? What is supposed to hook up to that?

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 AM
jostby
Heel & Toe

We are going to use the MSD Pro-Billet small-diameter distributor http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...stributor.aspx
The MSD #8360 was what we had bought but was about 1/2" too tall to be used with the SuperSunny S6222 lowprofile air cleaner. The 8360 measures 15.92" tall. We are now going to use the 8570. It's only 13.75" but has no vacuum advance. It also requires the use of an MSD spark control box to work. We are already using the Hyfire 6AL so that wasn't an issue.
Lack of vacuum ports will affect how you hook up any of your emissions lines, tranny shift modulator (if you use an automatic), and headlight control vacuum.
Power brake booster recieves it source from the rear of the carb. I'm hoping to be able to "T" into that source for the tranny control and headlights. We'll see what happens. good luck with your project.
Jeff.

Last edited by jostby; 06-28-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

You've been a great help Jeff, I appreciate it.

What's the difference in the different MSD boxes (6/7/8/10 series)

Quick Reply: Carb(s) and Intake: Enough Clearance??