C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quadrajet fuel psi ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Rmorgan&11
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quadrajet fuel psi ?

long story short...previous owner replaced all " expendable" parts on engine except fuel pump , since it was original and now old I went to NAPA and bought the replacement AC one.....now the carb is flooding badly .... it figures huh
what psi should it be ?? if I have to use a regulator can I " T " into the fuel pump by pass hose , or use the suction side
Old 06-25-2010, 09:24 AM
roger3
Pro

The fuel pump should be producing 4 to 5 psig for the quadrajet. If I remember correctly the quadrajet is tested and said to work up to around 10 psig but is not recommended.

I would check the fuel pressure your new pump is putting out. If its above 4 to 5 psig I would return it. The old pump may have been working just fine. Don't be surprised if the you find that the new pump is messed up. I recently put a new fuel pump on my vette, and found that it had a hole in and when the engine would get up to operating temperature it would start pumping air until the carb ran out of fuel.

If you find that the fuel pressure is correct, then check to make sure your return line is connected and working. Then, if your carb is still flooding, it might be time for a rebuild.

Roger
Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Rmorgan&11
Racer

well it was running perfectly before the pump swap ? so I don't think its the carb ?
I figured pump was getting tired and weak because a few times when I would run her hard she would lay over andseem to run out of fuel ?? I could back off the throttle for a few seconds then get back in the gas and she would take off again ??

I will check psi and maybe pull carb to ensure no trash got in the seat area ??

Is it possible to have the tank too full and cause too much bak pressure on the return line ??? I used a fuel can to top the tank off and its FULL !!! to the cap !!

Last edited by Rmorgan&11; 06-25-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:36 PM
mrruffhouser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flooding

Check your floats. Might have gotten some junk in the float valves or just need rebuilding. You do have an inline filter installed? With the earlier owner replacing so much-it's a good chance he floated some junk into the fuel valves or the floats aren't adjusted properly.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I have an electric fuel pressure gauge on my 78' and the stock fuel pump runs about 7 PSI at idle higher at speed. Never had a problem with flooding.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

This has nothing to do with your fuel pump but "dying under hard acceleration" can be caused by float levels and also the strainer sock on the fuel pickup in the tank becoming clogged.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Quadrajet fuel psi ?

Quick Reply: Quadrajet fuel psi ?