C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 80' flexplate tooth count

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stock 80' flexplate tooth count

Can anyone tell me the tooth count for a stock 1980 Corvette flexplate? My 8th or 9th or maybe 10th starter has started grinding and im getting ready to make my last attempt to fix the block, bolt on a starter, replace the flexplate, and shim it properly and I want it to work this time.

Im checking flexplates online and they have both 168 and 153 tooth flexplates and im wondering what stock would be or if theres a recommended one to use with a stock starter.

EDIT: Oh also Overall Diameter too if anyone knows that since thats also variable at online vendors

Last edited by Kadorja; 06-29-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

168 tooth. No idea of the diameter but I suppose I can measure one if you really need to know.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

If the GM Delco Remy starter has a staggered bolt pattern it mates to a 168 tooth; if the bolts are inline, it mates to a 153 tooth. Exception: if it's an aftermarket gear reduction starter and has 4 bolt holes in line, it can mate to either - if it's shifted inward, it's a 153 tooth flywheel or flexplate; outward it's a 168 tooth.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Diameters are ~12 7/8" for the 153 tooth and ~14" for the 168 tooth.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Thank you both for the responses. Today was another one of those days where I hate owning my car lol. Hopefully I can get everything together and weld some metal on the block somehow and try and get this issue resolved. I wasnt sure if it was a starter/flexplate issue or the block so im just knocking both of them out at the same time.

Then again I may just buy a junk motor and go with that till I break something. But ill try to keep it stock for now.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:01 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kadorja
Hopefully I can get everything together and weld some metal on the block somehow and try and get this issue resolved.

Weld the block? What's going on? If there are starter problems, were the correct starter bolts used, which have the crosshatching at the end of the threads? These are necessary to prevent the starter from shifting around which is possible with regular bolts. Also were any shims necessary for correct clearance/backlash?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:10 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Originally Posted by larrywalk

Weld the block? What's going on? If there are starter problems, were the correct starter bolts used, which have the crosshatching at the end of the threads? These are necessary to prevent the starter from shifting around which is possible with regular bolts. Also were any shims necessary for correct clearance/backlash?
Wow sorry I havent gotten on in a while. 4 day weekend and some other stuff came up. The block has a piece cracked off where the starter bolts up to. I bought some new starter bolts as the other bolts that where put on by a very sh*tty mechanic had about 1/2" worth of washers to keep them in contact with the starter. I bought new bolts which where specifically for the starter and had it repeatedly shimmed and replaced as it would go though bendix gears once every two weeks or so. I took it to Pep Boys and explained to them exactally the problem (mind you this was almost 2 years ago) and they went though 3 starters trying to see what would fix the problem. Again same result.

Im narrowing it down to the block piece thats chipped off. Its a decent sized chunk and you can see thread. I thought about putting a threaded bolt up in there with no end on it and covering it with JB weld and covering up the missing piece as well and then putting a nut on the end, also talked about welding some metal somehow on the block and redrilling and rethreading the hole, and finally possibly putting a heli-coil insert in and covering the chip up with JB weld again. None of the ideas appeal to me but im really running out of options at this point. Im hoping to do the starter and flexplate at the same time so it all gets fixed. If it keeps slipping and grinidng im setting my car on fire.

Its going to be a while before I start on her again since my Big Twin oil change is $318... Harleys are more expensive than Vettes
Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

There's a huge force on those starter bolts during cranking, and if they're only screwing into a broken starter boss there will be problems regardless of starter and pressure plate newness. I hope you find a reasonable solution.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock 80' flexplate tooth count

Quick Reply: Stock 80' flexplate tooth count