C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh oh, starter connection problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:46 PM
ccbatson
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh oh, starter connection problem

Well, I took the advise of you kind folks here on connecting a replacement/new starter to the wiring of my 71 LS-5 and ran into trouble. I hope you can help me out. In a nutshell, stock terminals are 4, 1 ground, 1 small red, 1 small black, and one large terminal. Wires are 5, 2 go to the large terminal, 1 grounded on a body bolt, 1 small red, and 1 small black. The new starter has a large terminal, a small terminal, and a bolt to which I could ground.

Per the advise, I grounded the old ground wire, attached the 2 piggybacked large wires to the large terminal, attached the small red to the small terminal, and left the small non ground black wire loose (but taped up).

As I hook up the battery, as soon as I touch the positive cable to the battery (no key in the ignition, and the ignition in the off position), the starter engages/turns and grinds....bad/unexpected/scary.

What went wrong? Did I get the 2 small wires mixed up (what i thought was red was black, etc)? In which case, I just switch the free wire for the formerly believed to be red wire? Or do I really need to do something with this "extra" wire? Or something else entirely?

Lastly, and slightly unrelated...as I mount the starter (summit racing protorque mini with staggered mounting block), the bolts (staggered) line up pretty smoothly, however, there is a little bit of obstruction of the starter block from seating next to the oil pan by virtue of a small lip in the way. I simply snugged it up and flattened the spot out leaving about a 2mm (or less) lip. Also, it seems that shimming would be the wrong thing to do (the same thing as this lip, but by intention). Do you think I will be OK on alignment? If not, any suggestions?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:59 AM
ccbatson
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumped
........any thoughts? It would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

A picture would be worth a thousand words.

Get notified of new replies

To Uh oh, starter connection problem

Quick Reply: Uh oh, starter connection problem