C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 frame repair vs value

Old 07-05-2010, 05:50 PM
68blueshark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 frame repair vs value

Hello
I have an original # matching 68 coupe that needs the rear portion of the frame rebuilt-
No big deal - I can get the L & R 48 " side rail replacements, L & R kick up rail replacements, differential crossmember and end crossmember. I have a frame shop on line to pull the body and restore the frame of which they looked at the frame already. The front of the frame is in very good condition.

The question- I would assume that rebuilding the rear frame portion with original factory frame parts would not take away from the cars "original" numbers matching value since the frame would be as good as new?

Secondly I was hoping to get the car certified as a suvivor- I am not sure how the car would be viewed with a restored frame- Without the frame rebuilt naturally the car is not drivable as it is cracked (rusted through)at the kick up and left side rail.

Any thoughts on the value and suvivor certification?

thanks
Ed
Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 68blueshark
Hello
I have an original # matching 68 coupe that needs the rear portion of the frame rebuilt-
No big deal - I can get the L & R 48 " side rail replacements, L & R kick up rail replacements, differential crossmember and end crossmember. I have a frame shop on line to pull the body and restore the frame of which they looked at the frame already. The front of the frame is in very good condition.

The question- I would assume that rebuilding the rear frame portion with original factory frame parts would not take away from the cars "original" numbers matching value since the frame would be as good as new?

Secondly I was hoping to get the car certified as a suvivor- I am not sure how the car would be viewed with a restored frame- Without the frame rebuilt naturally the car is not drivable as it is cracked (rusted through)at the kick up and left side rail.

Any thoughts on the value and suvivor certification?

thanks
Ed
The original frame has the VIN number stamped into it on top around the middle of the driver's seat and at the top of the rear frame about where the center of the drivers' rear wheel is. If you replace those sections you will lose the numbers, although if the frame is that rusty the numbers are probably long gone anyway.

I'm sure some the NCRS guys will comment on the survivor status, but for safety considerations you most certainly should replace all of the rusted-out parts or replace the entire frame.

Rick B.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Ed,
There happens to be a thread right now about this very question on the NCRS Disscussion Board.
There's no doubt the frame needs to be repaired; there are various takes on how this works affects BowTie and Surviver judging. I'd think the repair would cetainly have to affect the 'chassis' section of the judging.
Perhaps you'd like to check out the thread. It's titled "To Restore or Not Restore"
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-05-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 PM
68blueshark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
Well the drivers side rail is so thin I could not find the vin # stamped on the frame. Yes the frame sections need to be replaced.

I would not drive the car as it is except to the shop and back. The body mounts are holding the kick up in place right now and the trailing arm bolt is flapping in the breeze that is how much of the kick up is gone.

I have taked great patience rebuilding the engine, cooling system and drive train to factory specs with all remanufacturered parts to keep the car as original as possible and safely running. (Timing chain went and caused sever valve and push rod damage)

The rear crossmember is only rusty and it could stay on the frame if the shop finds the vin # on it- I was just going to replace it to make it easier on the shop.

I bought the car to drive so it will have to get the frame sections fixed. I guess I will have to take a hit on the chassie part of the certification if they do not like the frame repairs.

Thanks
Ed
Old 07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Ed,
From what you've described I think your car might be more suited to judging which allows restoration. Survivor and BowTie judging are really for 'untouched' cars.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

A survivor car has not had any restoration done to it. No paint touchups, to replaced parts; Essentially, you can clean the car and the parts and do general maintenance as required by GM; but painting anything, changing components, rebuilding engine/tranny all are outside the "Survivor" category.

Regardless, you still need to do the frame work. How it affects the status of the class you compete in is just the 'luck of the draw'.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 frame repair vs value

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 frame repair vs value