C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:22 PM
JT National Park
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 heater core replacement

Going to be tearing into the dash to replace the heater core in the near future. What other components would you replace, upgrade, etc., at the time that the dash is taken apart for changing the heater core?

Please assume that I don't want to spend any extra time getting my 50 year old body in a position to work under the dash after this project.

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

JT
Old 07-07-2010, 10:09 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Check the 5 port valve on the AC controller. On the cable that goes to the vac valve above the heater core-check the cable to see it will hold the vac valve closed-if it wont extend the cable and gently bend a shallow dogleg in the cable. When the dogleg is pulled back inside the cable it should hold the vac valve closed making your AC work better.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:49 AM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I did mine this year, it took me 4 days. I am 48yrs old so not too far behind you as well. Pull the pass seat, the center gauge consul and glove box. All the duct work on the pass side as well as defroster duct work. There are 2-3 bolts from under the dash that remove for the heater box, and a few from the engine compartment. There were 1-2 that were behind the pass side front tire. Sorry i did mine a while ago now and the pain and swearing were not fun. lol. I posted a thread on this, look up my name and posts you will find it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Come on you old guys, I changed one on my 80 & one on my 82. I'm just turning 69 in August. When you get up, stretch your fingers to the floor, after doing that each day, in a couple of mos. you will be able to lay your hands on the floor. Start lifting 5 # weights about 60 times a day over your head, each arm. Start eating healthy, before it's too late. Have a great day. Gene

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 heater core replacement

Quick Reply: 1980 heater core replacement